StressedM0mma

Somerset I could have written that exact message!! Those are some of the major issues we are dealing with. My difficult child will be 15 in Feb. and she has missed more school than I can count. And I wake up everynight in a full blown panic. I think there is something at school that has her so stresses and anxious that it is keeping her from going, but she won't talk to us at all. She started a PHP program this morning, so we are hopeful that we will see some improvement.

TerryJ2

Gcvmom, that sounds a bit familiar. I had a mtng with-my primary care phys a few yrs back and he asked how difficult child was doing. I said, "Oh, he threatens me and hits me a lot." (I was seeing the dr for headaches and had to be monitored for medications.) He said,"Oh, my," and wrote me a scrip. The next time he asked I said, "We had a little run-in with-the police." His eyes got big as saucers and he upped the scrip and increased another one.
It's kind of funny but scary, too. I mean, he clearly trusts me with-these medications, and asks if I'm exercising and doing chiro, but still, this is all he's got to give ... medications.
When other people hear about what we go through, if they're doctors, they give us scrips. If they're friends, they tell us to drink or have an affair. Uh, yeah, that would solve alllllll my problems ... :groan:

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
Count me in. Esp as I don't drink - my body acts really unhappy when I drink.

Please don't take this wrong, but your child's psychiatrist has NO business writing rx's for you. These medications are SO powerful and you really NEED your own doctor to rx them based on YOU, not on what works for your child. I have zero problems with medications, have been on them and my mom was on them back when I was still in high school. I see NO stigma to them. I just worry because your child's doctor knows your child's medical history but does NOT know yours. It is SO easy to make a mistake with these medications, and your family needs you to be the best you can.

PLEASE get medications from your own doctor. It is great that your child's psychiatrist recognizes that your health is crucial to your child's, and I would have given my right arm to have a psychiatrist who could see that back when Wiz was so messed up, but you still NEED a doctor to make sure that the right things are being trialed iwth you.

Terry, what kind of friends do you have? An AFFAIR? Seriously? How on EARTH would that help??????? I can see wine, even whiskey now and then - and have often lamented that it is NOT an option for me anymore because I get dog sick, but an affair? The last person who suggested that to me other than my brother was his then wife who had just told me about all of the ones she was having (while married to MY BROTHER!)

People are so strange. Not in relation to the medications stuff, but to the other stuff.

Steely

Oh for sure...although I have had depression since I was 16...having a difficult child made the depression and anxiety intolerable. For the last 15 years I have been on all sorts of combos...my signature shows the latest. I was just on an ssri until 4 years ago when a series of tragedies hit me on top of difficult child. I hope to be off Klonipin soon, but I can safely say I may never be off the ambien because it controls the nightmares from the PTSD.

TerryJ2

Susiestar, to clarify: I had a mtng with-my primary care phys a few yrs back and he asked how difficult child was doing. I said, "Oh, he threatens me and hits me a lot." (I was seeing the dr for headaches and had to be monitored for medications.)

In regard to the friends, yeah, people are strange. What comments like that do is tell me how they would cope. Heh heh. :winnersmiley:

lovelyboy

Susiestar.....I agree with you totally!!!!!!
My sons psychiatrist didnt ask ANY medical background!!!!!!
I suffer from Von Willebrand disease.....its a bleeding disorder, causing easy bruising......I can even bleed internally.....So after I went for a light bodymassage....I ended up with bruises....
I even started bleeding in the middle of the month!
So I did some research and SSRI's can worsten bleeding disorders! I phoned the doctor and she said.....yes it might but not neceserily!!!!!
I also got irritated with her trying to do therapy with me!!!!! I love her giving us parent counselling on behaviourmodification for difficult child, but she talked so much **** regarding my therapy....giving ADVICE!!!!! OMW!!!!! I have been in therapy with my own psychologist for 10 yrs that I find VERY helpfull......I really got the impression this psychiatrist wanted to make money out of me.....she was so way of.....she is a psychiatrist, NOT a psychologist!!!!!! Now I need to see her on Monday again....I want to discuss my SON.....not me! She just makes me feel guilty! Like....we will fix you....then your son will get better!!!!!!

H

HaoZi

Kiddo's psychiatrist ended up being my psychiatrist, too. I tried to find one of my own but not one in my area had a schedule that worked with mine. It rather works out, as I don't have to re-explain what I'm dealing with, and our appts are scheduled back-to-back so we only have to make one trip a month (it's 20 miles away).