Why of why?

Jody

For a long time difficult child has wanted a smart phone or one of those really expensive phones. I bought her one the other day, a nice one from Verizon. Today she calls me from school and it dropped in the toilet. 99.00 deductible with the insurance. She has not had the phone two weeks. She calls me from the school office phone and ask me what she should do? This was her Christmas present. I gave it to her early because I was paying for the phone at that time and it was activated. I am totally po'd. I do not have a hundred dollars to throw around. I told her Merry Christmas and hung up on her. I just couldn't deal with anymore today. When we get home, she will begin to take pictures of some items from her room and post them for sale on Craigslist. Hopefully she can come up with half of this money and then I can wrap the stupid phone and put it under the tree. If not easy child will open her gifts and we will eat dinner and have fun otherwise. Ugh, I hate phones I have a 15.00 phone and it's worked fine for two years no problems.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Believe it or not I did the same thing with my phone (note to self - do not carry in back pocket) When she gets home, take out the battery and put both of them in a container of rice. I thought mine was history, but it works fine again. Do NOT turn it on before you do the rice thing.

I don't think you have coverage for "water damage" thru Verizon. Would probably be easier to say you lost it

Marcie

Tiapet

Old Hand
Too bad you didn't have AT&T. Just saw they have a smartphone that is waterproof to 1 M in water for 30 minutes! (no kidding!) it's a Rugby smartphone. Other's may want to check it out.

InsaneCdn

Too bad you didn't have AT&T. Just saw they have a smartphone that is waterproof to 1 M in water for 30 minutes! (no kidding!) it's a Rugby smartphone. Other's may want to check it out.

But... can it be stepped on? i.e. military or contractor grade?
(I'm a hopeless klutz. If anything can go wrong, it will...)

DammitJanet

Actually they do have military and construction grade phones. We have had them. Some come with gorilla glass and some are even smart phones. Tony's first military/construction grade phone wasnt but they have just come out with the smart phones in that model. It is so cool. Actually he is doing very well with his EVO in just an Otterbox case. It takes a licking. And yes he is rough on them because he does work in construction and gets dirt in them and is constantly hitting them in his pockets with metal or other items. One of his phones even went through the washer before we found it and I just opened it up and set it in the window sill till it dried out and it was good as new.

As far as her phone and water, I think I would just check inside it and see if the strip is showing that it got wet. It doesnt always show it. If it doesnt, well it is still under the 30 day warranty and you can take it back. Go somewhere you didnt buy it and ask them if it is showing the water mark. I suggest Radio Shack if you didnt buy it there. they will tell you if it is showing the water strip. I think it turns red or blue. Normally it is white. If it is showing water damage then just call it in as being run over and then run over the stupid then. Say she dropped it in the school parking lot.

Jody

we got it home after 6 hours of school, plopped it in a bag of rice and so far its working, she can get on the internet and she can get text and calls. I so hope this thing does not have to be replaced. Keep your fingers crossed please.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If it is already dry enough to work, you're fine. Remind her that texting over a toilet is never a good idea... Germs... Yech.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Call your cell provider and ask what it would cost to repair without voiding your remaining warranty. ???????

I don't know I have a dumb phone.....and I swear when I get flush (sorry no pun intended) I'm putting the lil sucker in a skeet shoot and yelilng pull at the club......it will be worth whatever time it takes to go out and pick up the pieces providing I can hit it.

Check You tube for alternate fixes too - that's what all the kids do for everything. (a guess)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
After Jett ran his through the washer and dryer, I took it apart and let it air dry for 2 days, too. Perhaps...?

Jody

I guess the thing is okay, she had to charge it and its working fine. Thank goodness. I have a 15.00 phone i bought from walmart and never had a problem with it. I dont text at all, just basic answer the phone and call out if i need to.

witzend

She can try to dry it out by placing it in a ziplock baggy of rice. It takes two or three days, and she shouldn't open the bag while she's waiting. Then, I suggest a thorough wipe down with a clorox wipe. (EWW!)

I hope you two will work this out. I'm sure everyone's nerves are frayed at this point.