Why would I want Skype to sell artwork? Weird

TerryJ2

Why would I want Skype? Someone in England who supposedly wants to buy a painting off of my website says I need it so we can talk. I have nothing to talk to him about. I think he's a Nigerian bank scam guy.:sigh:

H

HaoZi

You could easily download it free from skype directly if you wanted it, too.

H

HaoZi

Haven't heard of them using skype (yet), I'd be more worried that an included link was a virus. It is odd.

DammitJanet

I want to get Skype so Keyana and Lindsay can talk and see each other from my house. Is there a reason I shouldnt get it? I thought it was a good program for people to talk to each other and see each other when they are far apart. Am I missing something?

KTMom91

Hubby and Miss KT both have it, and as far as I know, there's not a problem. Miss KT has been talking to her friends from school the entire vacation using Skype.

I think Terry is saying she doesn't want Skype and sees no need to have it.

DammitJanet

Ok...whew. I thought I had been mislead in my thinking about what it was. I dont have a webcam yet or a microphone anymore. I let all that go years ago when I stopped all my naughty behavior on the computer...lol.

Marguerite

He may ant to talk to you on Skype so he can see the painting in your possession. Sounds like HE is afraid YOU are a scam!

Marg

H

HaoZi

I have Skype and use it all the time. Mostly for IMs and group chats with friends, but also for voice talking. You have to approve anyone that tries to add you, if you don't approve them, they can't see your picture, when you're online, etc.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
OH! I know the answer to this one! I know!!! (Raises hand) I know it!!! Pick me!!!! Over here!!!!

Because he needs to tell you that although he lives in England, he's going to be moving soon - but because of a (death/illness/tragedy) in the family he cannot be there personally so the move is being handled by a third party....and he needs to make sure you understand that he needs to have the painting shipped to one address - but the Shipping Company needs certain cash to cover the costs of getting the painting through customs for the other address - and he will send you some money....but he must wire it directly to your bank, if you could please just give him your account info...meanwhile, ship the painting RIGHT NOW so you don't miss the Shipper's window (they handle lots of moves, ya know) - and the money will be in your account in several days....

And if he tells you all of this on Skype - then you cannot print a copy of his email and give it to authorities...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oooh! I think DF is on to something! Yeah, listen to your gut, Terry. Skype is useful for some people (my friend's husband uses it to talk to his dad in the UK, and the neighbors use it so their relatives in NJ can see their 1yo), but no reason a potential customer should dictate the technology you use.

M

Mamaof5

Actually, I could see the usefulness in this situation. I use Skype a lot for meeting with my clients, even the local ones. It's a great way to meet up to discuss client projects, show off product (in my case web development and graphics design) in real time as if you were there with them in the same physical room.

Lots of big 500 fortune companies use skype both inter and intra office instead of MSN. It's more stable in all aspects. Skype was built for conferencing both audio and visual. It was built with companies in mind the fact that they offer to the consumer base now was just an after thought and why it's free to download or open source. They have even built a VOIP phone company off of their Skype product that can call cell phones, other Skype loaded computers (this service is free) and landlines. It can replace your hard phone line. It's about 30 to 60 bucks a year for it rather than a month.

It's a nifty little tool in a company arsenal of marketing tools.

Lothlorien

I have no idea why this guy in England wants to skype with you just to buy artwork.

I have skype and use it to talk to friends and my sister. They live out of state, so it's nice to video chat with them (provided I'm not in my jammies and my house is a wreck). I love skype. My kids love talking to their cousins on it too!

Marguerite

There's an easy answer to that problem, DF. Any agreement made over the phone or via Skype - you confirm it by email. "As we discussed over Skype, you will pay me $X now via PayPal as deposit and the remainder on delivery. Meanwhile I will ship the painting within 24 hours of confirmation of deposit by PayPal. I will ship it registered with confirmation of receipt required, to ensure it is fully insured. This will cost $Y which I have included in the cost of the painting. If this is not as you recall our agreement to be, please let me know of any required changes to tis agreement by return email." Then you click the "notify sender" button to make sure he does receive this email, then off it goes.

Marg

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
There's an easy answer to that problem, DF. Any agreement made over the phone or via Skype - you confirm it by email. "As we discussed over Skype, you will pay me $X now via PayPal as deposit and the remainder on delivery. Meanwhile I will ship the painting within 24 hours of confirmation of deposit by PayPal. I will ship it registered with confirmation of receipt required, to ensure it is fully insured. This will cost $Y which I have included in the cost of the painting. If this is not as you recall our agreement to be, please let me know of any required changes to tis agreement by return email." Then you click the "notify sender" button to make sure he does receive this email, then off it goes.

Marg

Marg -

There's a really common scam out there targeting fine artists. They know that artists are usually desperate to sell their work...

It goes like this:

A scammer finds an artist's website and will send them a message just GUSHING over one (or more) works on the site. The scammer tells the artist they want to buy - BUT they need to make special arrangements.

At this point, there is usually a convuluted story about how the buyer is located in England, but they are moving, or being sent away on an assignment somewhere - and this is happening really, really soon. But they LOVE the artwork so much, that they just can't take the chance that somebody else will buy it first. So they want the artist to agree to all kinds of special provisions - like sending the artwork immediately (before the buyer has to leave town), or sending the artwork to a third party, or sending multiple paintings so the buyer can decide which one(s) they want.

And then, (and here's the money portion of the deal), the buyer explains that the artist is going to have to deal with a particular shipping company - but don't worry, the buyer will send plenty of money for the artist to pay the shipper for what is going to be a very expensive overseas delivery (because the shipper may end up storing the artwork because of the buyer's move). The artist just needs to provide info so the buyer can send payment...

So - the scammer/buyer ends up with the artist's account info or sends a "certified check" written for a huge amount. The artist is supposed to send the artwork and several thousand dollars for handling charges to the shipper - And they need to do this immediately, or they will miss out on the "sale". Unfortunately for the artist, the "Shipping Company" is just another scammer.

And of course, by the time the artist discovers that their bank account has been drained, or the certified check is fake - the scammers have taken the money and the artwork and are long gone...

So, like Terry - I am immediately suspicious of anyone who wants to buy artwork, but needs to have a discussion to make "special arrangements".

TerryJ2

Ah, DF and gvc mom, makes perfect sense!
Except that we settled everything in email b4 he mentioned Skype. He must be a newbie.

TerryJ2

DF, nope, he wasn't legit.
I just got an email from a fellow artist who runs a watercolor website. He went after all of us.
Oh well. All in a day's work ...:groan:

Marguerite

I still don't get how Skype could be used to scam, any more than a phone call. Can't you set your computer to record the conversation/video? And you would have the guy's face, too. As you said - he's a novice.

And he's gone after a number of you - a pity you can't return the 'compliment'.

I've just been contacted by someone who wants to promote my work as an ebook. I've been down that road before and been burned. But this time, the bloke is based in the same country as me, so I have legal recourse. Still, we go in carefully...

Marg