You would think I would

crazymama30

learn not to go to the grocery store with both kids. :nonono: I can take difficult child, and it is usually ok, or take easy child and be ok, but NOT both. I ended up leaving my cart with a clerk and taking difficult child home before I blew my top at grocery store. Then finished shopping.

difficult child is being very polite. I do not think he thought I was really going to take him home. The rule was no begging (hard for any kid) and he asked and asked and asked for the same thing over and over, so he got taken home. I do not mind if they ask once, but no means no. If I do this more often will he learn to behave in public? :slap:

mstang67chic

Going Green
I do not mind if they ask once, but no means no. If I do this more often will he learn to behave in public? :slap:

At the risk of making you feel worse, if your difficult child is anything like mine....then......no. I've been doing things like that for years and he still tries. Drives me insane.

wakeupcall

Ha! It doesn't work with my difficult child either. I've told him NO on many, many occasions and he keeps beggin' and beggin'. It's usually for something ridiculous. It's like he can HEAR me say no. Then he'll turn around and ask it again the very next day. ARG!!!!

Dara

No is just ammunition for mine. His new one is, He loves heavy metal music. The heavier the better. Sammy calls it a big song. The problem is we have to figure out which big song he wants so if it is the wrong song we get "Its not" over and over and over. ITs enough to send a parent over a cliff. These difficult children know how to work it. They should win an award for persistence and whining abilities!

Janna

I haven't taken my kids to the store in a really long time. Even when I was single, I would only go when they were in school or day care or whatever. If I had to stop every day on my way home, to buy our meal just for that night, every night, I'd do that before taking them in. I don't have the patience, they don't have the understanding, and none of us deserve the hassle lol.

F

flutterbee

I was at the store just tonight with my difficult child, buying something she'd been begging me for but she has had a great summer so she's earned it. Anyway...as we entered an aisle a kid practically smacks into me coming from the electronics department with a game in hand to ask his mom if he could have it. His mom sighed and told him that the answer was the same as the other times...NO. I said to mom, "He just had to ask one more time in case you changed your mind in the last 30 seconds." We laughed.

So, yeah, I relate. From the time difficult child could talk I couldn't take her into the gas station with me without her thinking she had to get something.

*sigh*

I shop when she is in school.

If it were possible, I would get enough shopping done in May to get us through the summer.

Then I would shop again in September. When she is back in School.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Ah the fun of grocery shopping. I'm impressed you can take difficult child by himself. Shopping with my difficult child has never been fun. husband will seldom to never take difficult child to the grocery store. I do it slightly more often. For the most part it just isn't worth it!

K

Kjs

My difficult child won't go to the store with me. I wish he would. I hate going alone. On the rare occassion he does go, I end up buying more than normal, or find something in the cart at the checkout. Usually no begging though. And the extra I buy is because he will eat it when I am at work or sleeping. I am having such a hard time getting him to eat. He is now under 90lbs. I worry because he is getting taller, and losing weight. Still thinks he is fat and his clothes are falling off.

crazymama30

Usually I can take difficult child places as long as my energy is focused on him, and that means all my energy. easy child gets jelous as then she feels left out, so things go down from there.

On_Call

I try very hard to only take one at a time - easy child or difficult child. And, oddly enough, they try to keep count and take turns.

They used to ask and ask and ask for things. I started making a list before I went. Whichever child goes with me gets to keep track of the list and cross things off as we go. It took me a while to get used to it, but it seems to distract them enough to stop the constant begging for sugary cereals and/or the .25 toys in the $1.00 aisle. And, I have had to learn that if difficult child takes one of every coupon in the little coupon dispenser thingies they put in the aisles, the world will not come to an end. Actually, both munchkins come home with coupons usually.

Last week, I went to the store for something like 10 items. I went alone and had the darndest time concentrating and getting the things and getting out of the store. I think at this point, I am so used to the distraction of one of them being with me that I don't function the same without it! :hammer: Hee hee.

My Mom once cut out a cartoon from a magazine and gave it to me - it showed a Mom coming home with grocery bags - two children in two - the caption read "I'm so tired of being known in the store as clean-up in aisle 9". :slap:

You are definitely not alone!!

Marguerite

I'm lucky, when we go to the store I can get difficult child 3 to help now. Of course, he still asks for snacks, but he also sometimes asks for 'real' food. And he nags, and nags, and nags, and always sees something he HAS to have - even when I've said ahead of time, "no toys or games - you have to save your own money."
On Friday he asked for crisps, then he asks for a jar of stuffed olives - I said OK to the olives. Then after we left the grocery store, he remembered he hadn't eaten breakfast, and could he have some money for a bread roll?
OK, a bread roll I can deal with. Plus, the ones he gets also have ham and olives on them.

But Kjs, I can relate to the weight loss worries - difficult child 3 is really shooting up tall at the moment, I can't get clothes to fit him. Jeans that fit round his waist only come down to his knees. All his skivvies (supposed to fit moderately snugly) are hanging loose on him. He has to wear a belt with jeans and even then it looks like a frilly waist.
His doctor is monitoring his weight - difficult child 3 lost 5kg last year, in only a few months, stopped losing but after a year he still only weighs 35kg. That's about 74lb. And this is even when he eats a lot - while we were on holiday, there were several times when difficult child 3 ordered the biggest meal on the menu, one that a grown man would have had trouble putting away - and he finished it. AND came back for dessert!

Our biggest problem at home is that he forgets to eat. We each eat breakfast when we're ready; same with lunch, a lot of the time. I keep reminding him and often get him some lunch, but he keeps getting distracted from eating it. Often I make snacks for him - carrot sticks, a bowl of tomatoes, popcorn - and if he can keep eating while he's doing what he's doing, I can get a lot of food into him. But it's only some of the time that works.

Marg

TerryJ2

Yes! That's absolutely the right thing. In fact, I had to pay $100 in a therapy session for the dr. to give me that idea... he said to plan out multiple grocery store trips where you deliberately bring your difficult child and do not plan to buy anything. Of course, they don't know that this is just a training session. It's time consuming, but in the end, it pays off.