difficult child is a real trip !

shellyd67

difficult child has reading comprehension problems and has extra help within his classroom and one hour each week after school.

He cannot stand going and gives husband and I such a hard time.

Apparently out of the 12 kids in his afterschool program 6 or more quit with their parents permission.

He has cried, screamed, pouted, etc. and relied heavily on " Well the other kids quit!"

Anyhoo, last week before I dropped him off for school he gave me such a hard time.

The ride to school was h**l !

When I picked him up at 4:30 I expected him to come out and freak on me.

Instead he said (very cheerfully I might add) "Hey Mom, guess what? I have perfect attendance in my after school group and I may qualify for a surprise gift at the end of the program and I sure hope I am not sick on the days I have to go"

I could do nothing but laugh !

This kid is a real trip ! Shelly:sigh:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
LOL -- I wonder why the other kids left? Too bad they didn't hear about the prize or maybe they would have stayed on as well! :) It's funny how such a small incentive can turn around attitudes.

Marguerite

I always say - positive reinforcement wins hands down every time. I don't care if people call it bribing - it works!

Marg

shellyd67

Marg, I have to say it does work LOL ! He has such a better attitude.

I didn't post that I spoke with his principal several weeks ago about him wanting to quit because of the other kids quitting and that husband and I would not allow him to quit.

The principal has made it a point (without difficult child knowing) of telling him what a great job he is doing.

It takes a village.