difficult child lost her job

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
When she told me I was tempted to say, "Well go find it!" but I had already guessed that she lost her job by that point and was in no mood for jokes.

She was doing so great, getting up early, planning her lunches, she even made some friends. She was making $14/hour too and had saved up nearly $1000 towards the new (old) Jeep she's getting this weekend. Ugh.

She claims that she was fired because she slept through her alarm on Monday (she was sick, to be fair) and the temp agency called her and told her she was fired for not calling in.

I find it a bit difficult to believe that this only happened ONCE or that this was the singular event that led to her getting let go. I'm pretty sure there must be other factors, such as, bathing and brushing her teeth regularly, getting too comfortable and becoming lazy in her efforts. Her immediate supervisor seemed to like her quite a bit, so there must be more to it, don't you think?

Anyway, since my detachment skills have been finely honed in recent weeks dealing with easy child, I am doing okay in the detachment area with difficult child. I've buttoned my lip only twice as I haven't felt the urge to lecture. I spoke out only once and that was to let her know that H would not be happy, I am not happy and to wear her professional attire to interviews and hit up the temp agency again (she actually was talking to me about the interviews and temp agency so the comments weren't entirely unsolicited). Yeah for me.

She has three interviews today. When I left for work, she was snoring loudly, cuddled up with the dogs. H told me last night that he wants to impose a new rule with difficult child - she's not allowed home between the hours of 8AM and 4PM. His reason is that when difficult child has nowhere to go (aka a job) she will just lie in bed all day and snooze and watch her Law & Order DVD's. How would we enforce her having to be out of the house during the day and how would we even know?

I'm praying she finds something, ANYTHING, fast!

Kathy813

Staff member
What is it with difficult children and Law and Order? My difficult child watches it all day long, too.

I'm sorry to hear about the job. I agree that there is probably more to the story. It is hard to believe they would fire her for one offense without a warning.

~Kathy

DammitJanet

Im sorry she lost her job.

Hey I resemble that remark about difficult child's and Law and Order!

I can tell you that temp agency's will fire you for one problem. My first job out of college was a temp agency when we moved to Greensboro. The boys were 8, 5 and 3. Jamie had just started Kindergarten and Cory was in this weird daycare center but it was close to my work. Well one day, the daycare called me about 2 hours before the end of the work day to tell me that Cory had been running in the center and fell and hit his head on a glass topped table. His head was bleeding badly and I needed to take him to the ER NOW! My job told me if I left to do so I would be fired. I had no choice, my 3 year old came first. They fired me. I had never been late, never missed a day. Nothing.

Nancy

Wow I sure can relate. My difficult child sleeps til noon everyday and then spends two hours getting ready for her boyfriend to come over after school and they hang out til curfew. She is not trying too hard to find a job either and was recently fired form her part time job.

There usually is more to the story than what they tell us. I think your husband is right, she should be spending all day looking for a job, that is her job now. Of course we can't enforce that ehre either :(.

Hugs,
Nancy

Bean

I know how that feels. You get so hopeful when they're working, you feel like they are making progress. It is a disappointment. If it makes you feel any better, my little difficult child is almost 19 and hasn't worked in I don't know how long. She's not trying to hard on the job front, either and goes out almost every night. So, hopefully at least your difficult child knows how nice is is to have money, and will be inspired to get another job again and SOON.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Hi H&R,

Just wanted to let you know that I did temp work for about 2 years many years ago for several different agencies and in 2 different states. I can tell you that in one agency's case, yes, I was fired for not calling in (no call, no show) and no other problems prior and having worked with them for a while too. A thought, and I don't know if it's the case with your difficult child or not, as to why it might be the reason why they would have only given her a 1 shot deal and fired her (if it's true), is that certain placements are called "high priority" meaning they absolutely have to have someone there daily and if you call in 99% of the time they can immediately refill the position that day with another person while you're out. Or, it could be one of their "high profile" clients, meaning they have a very large contract with them and don't want to loose their business.

I don't know if either was your daughter's case but wanted to let you know of the possibilites that exist and certain scenerios that can cause it to occur as well.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks Tiapet - that information does help a bit. She is working pt at a local donut shop and well, it's something. Hopefully, she will get something better and with more hours and pay, but at least she isnt' complaining about working, which is a switch up! LOL