Glaucoma

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I made an eye appointment for husband since it had been several years since his last exam. He had lasik surgery about 12 years ago and went in for an annual check up for about the first five years and then got lax about it.

He found out today he has glaucoma! I guess I'm surprised because he's only 48 -- I wouldn't have expect this for at least another 10 years if at all. Now he has to go see an opthamologist and have it treated. I'm hoping this hasn't been going on for very long. :sick:

Anyone else here had to deal with this condition?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Both my parents have glaucoma-neither at that age. Both have been able to have it treated! Hoping that it hasn't been going on long and is easily treatable.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My mother has glaucoma and has had since she was about 50 or so. Actually she's done pretty well. She's had a few surgeries to relieve pressure from time to time (at least that is what she's told me) and only now at age 70 something is her vision really deteriorating. But she also has macular degeneration too which also causes blindness so both together........I'd say she's not done too bad considering.

I hope they've found it soon. There are medications and treatments to help as well as things to be avoided.

Hugs

Jena

hi

is it closed eye or the other? i have closed eye, and right now my angle is very small. they told me to do surgery as a preventative measure to avoid sudden closed eye glacuoma attack, the surgery would relieve any pressure and avoid that from happening.

there are alot of treatments out there, even medications and drops to help. depends what kind he has though.

sorry to hear that, vision is one of those things you never want to compromise.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm also wondering how much his overall health has contributed to this. He's gained about 50 pounds since his brain surgery nearly 3 years ago and needed to go on two different cholesterol medications. I was reading that there's some discussion about cardio-vascular health and a connection to open angle glaucoma (the type he has). Some researchers belive that there could be a genetic predisposition for both of these conditions in some people... having something to do with the breakdown of fibrous tissue in both the blood vessels and the eye, causing atherosclerosis in one case, and a blockage of the meshwork in the eye the usually drains the fluid causing a build-up of pressure.

Makes me wonder if he were to work on reducing his BMI and eating healthier if this condition might be reversible? But knowing him right now, that's asking for a lot of stars to line up!

tawnya

My mother in law has glaucoma, and it is treated with eye drops. I don't know which kind, or how far advanced it is, though.

(HUGS)

DammitJanet

I have a form of glaucoma but we have been watching it for years. Actually it is what my dr calls pre-glaucoma because I have the pressure and some anomalies in the map they can see of one of my eyes but I dont have actual vision loss yet. I do use drops from time to time. I get regular exams where they test the pressure and map my eyes to see how it is progressing. So far, it stays fairly stable. This has been going on for over 10 years now...maybe close to 15.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, he saw the opthamologist today. The pressure reading was five points higher in this office than it was on Saturday! They are having him try drops in one eye for three weeks and then he'll go back in to see if it worked at all. If it hasn't, they'll try a different medicated drop. Good news is that they could not detect any damage done to his eyes so far, so I am somewhat relieved. :)