OMG, his plan is to return here...

pasajes4

Both my son and I have asked her why she keeps helping him - she is very religious and says she feels it's a calling from God. Difficult Child is very charismatic and charming and she says that there is something about him that she feels drawn to. She says she loves him and always wants to be part of his life and is never going to abandon him.

This is really a sick relationship. I am not trying to be mean or in anyway discount this woman's religious convictions. I think that in some way she fuels your guilt. This is just my opinion, but perhaps it would be better to not have contact with her.

Scent of Cedar *

(cue the Tsunami of Mother Guilt

When you are feeling stronger, this will be a good place, that core of guilt place, to begin the healing you need to do, now. Everything changes all the time, everything does. You are remembering the awful way it felt last time. We have posted on the site about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. We have that. All the parents come to the ends of their coping skills and trying to find some way to do this, we have PTSD. It hits when we find out things have changed. The horrible feelings of failure, that desperate, circling feeling that there must be something we could do when everything we have done didn't work and the bad thing happened and our child was not safe ~ that all comes back.

And I think that place is where you are now.

But those feelings you are feeling are from another time, blackgnat. They are from a time that is over and done, and they cannot help or teach or soothe you, now. But sometimes, if we can name where we are, we can disregard those things that are not going to help us cope now.

This is a tool-box thing to know. Recovering Enabler named this place: FOG. Just to know I am in the FOG, just to know where I am, helps me recover my sane mind, my place to stand up from.

You can do this, blackgnat. You are doing it.

Good, good job.

"That is just FOG."
"That is just my guilt."
"That is just my suffering."

That is what Child of Mine means when she tells us to just sit with the feeling. Name it if you can, and just be there, having it.

The stupid thing is that I was planning a trip out there next weekend to see my sons and I actually have a job interview on June 10

And sometimes the things that seem almost impossibly coincidental can be seen as everyday miracles. You did not arrange these things to escape your son. Your conscience is clear. Bless yourself and do it.

And remember to bless yourself again and again as you do it. There is nothing about what we are trying to do, about what we are somehow trying to put right with and for our children, that is easy or simple or clear.

Hearts in our throats, we are flying by the seats of our pants.

But I will say this: Your son's intention is to get back into your home. He will use your mother love, will hurt you with that courageous thing that is now a vulnerability, to get that thing that he wants.

Not his fault. Integrity is the first thing to go, in addiction. Empathy goes next. (That is just a Cedarism. I don't know that it's true.)

I seem to have lost that initial terror I had , at the idea of him being in my vicinity. But that's probably because I know that right now, he's sober.

Or you could be blocking it.

Would it be too enabling to tell him to wait until I get out there and if he is still determined to come out to Illinois, I can give him a ride back with me? Or do I need a good shaking to even be considering that?

YES.

That would be giving in to those feelings that you will be a bad person if you do not help him. You are a good person, blackgnat; a good mother. What is bad here is the situation your son is in, and that you love him so much that it tears you apart to know he suffers.

But that is the truth of it. Helping him in this way will not help him. You will suffer but you can do this, blackgnat. We can learn to just see that we suffer. That's it. Just see and acknowledge and bless yourself for the strength it takes to get through it, to know what you know about suffering now and still, somehow, cherish your own life.

A cup of hot tea or a glass of wine or a warm, beautifully scented bath and a deep, solid hug to hold you over will be better for you than a good shaking. If you can do the tea or wine or bath part?

We have those good, solid, centering hugs in such abundance for you, blackgnat.

I really can't /won't duplicate the kind of support that exgf's ma has been giving him...is it a manipulative tactic for her to feel sorry for him?

When other parents have done for my children what I have had to battle with myself not to do, I feel so ashamed. Their stepping up for my child leaves me doubting the validity of detachment parenting, and I become aware again of how awful it feels to turn away from someone who needs ~ desperately needs ~ help.

I am sorry this is happening, sorry you have to know what this feels like, too.

But detachment parenting does seem to have been the right thing for both my children. Though it feels like betrayal and looks that way too, to relatives or friends or the strangers they tell about me, about who I am, about how they would not be in their positions had I been a better mother...well, I just have to sit with that.

Hearts in our mouths, flying by the seats of our pants.

Mostly crying.

Or is it some happy-clappy kind of idea-like listening to his plans and trying to establish a healthier relationship with me?

No. I thought you were asking about the girlfriend mother. Your difficult child tells you what he tells you now because he knows what it will do to you to hear it. He knows, and he is doing it with intent. Stay steady state in the face of it, blackgnat.

I am sorry for the pain of it.

Why does it make me feel sad that he might not contact me? (but also good.God, I'm mixed up) I just want him to be safe. Like, be where you're going to be and do what you're going to do and call me once a month and say, "I'm okay, ma" and don't be drunk or high or try to drag me into your drama or live your life for you.

Because we are all in the rabbit hole now, just as Albatross posted for us yesterday. Nothing is as it seems, and the Red Queen is on her way.

I am encouraged by your ability to name what you are feeling, blackgnat. I love that you are able to do this now. That is huge.

Sometimes I am and I CRY with rage about how that little bastard kept me in a state of absolute TERROR, but it's mostly "Where did I go wrong, what didn't I do?" Ugh its ridiculous.

That's okay, blackgnat. It's not ridiculous, it's really hard. How can we know how to do this when there is no way to do this? There is not one person I know of who can say they know how to parent a child out of an addiction or a mental illness.

It is a hard thing, what is happening to you and your son and your family, blackgnat.

You display courage and heart and honesty.

Those are good tools.

I was brought up to be strong and stand up for myself, but the way I have acted with this one is a mystery to me. I just lost myself. Lost my steel spine, my spirit, my sense of right and wrong. I just kept getting smaller and smaller while he ran the house...

I did too, back in the beginning. Seemed able to see clearly and know I was right and feel strong. But I lost those things. I think it has to do with losing and losing over time. We lose, not our self-confidence so much, but our whole concept of self as people who could deal correctly with our lives or our children.

A vulnerable position for us to be in, for us to have been in.

And just for the record here, I will say that there were people in our lives who took advantage of that vulnerability, of that kind of lostness, to practically wet themselves sinking their knives.

So be wise, and be wary.

I sound like a terrible person here, I get that.

But it happened, to me.

She says she loves him and always wants to be part of his life and is never going to abandon him.

These are fine sentiments, easily spoken but hard to live. She does not know what you know, blackgnat.

Pray that she never does.

Other moms, people trying so sincerely to comfort us when there is no comfort to be found ~ all these people are innocent humans caught up in something they don't understand, just like we are.

Forgive her, wish her well, bless yourself, and let go.

Bless yourself for the hardness of this, for the hurt and the puzzlement, and let go.

Cedar

blackgnat

WOW! Such amazing responses-too much to take in right now, except for my sense of wonderment.. will be back when I have had time and the ability to gather my thoughts.

Thank you all! How stinkin' SMART is everyone here? Empathetic? Wise? Loving? Resilient? Practical?

I'm overwhelmed....

Cedar,
I found myself trying to find your story. Your writings are incredibly profound and helpful. I am curious why and how you have come to the place where you seem to have figured it out. I love your advice on breathing and really everything. There are others here I'm also aware of that have a gift. The writings are so incredible I feel almost like I'm inadequate at times to say anything. I am in awe of some of the things I've read by you...IWP

BusynMember

Both my son and I have asked her why she keeps helping him - she is very religious and says she feels it's a calling from God. Difficult Child is very charismatic and charming and she says that there is something about him that she feels drawn to. She says she loves him and always wants to be part of his life and is never going to abandon him.
This really sounds sick to me with the religion being an excuse. Almost sounds like she loves him in a romantic way and she must be twice his age and s he knows what he's like. I would not contact her...she is possibly dangerous, disguised as a helper.

I repeat: sick, sick, sick.

blackgnat

SWOT, I have heard this same opinion echoed by many other people. SURELY I can't have hooked myself up with another nutbar?

She is very nice (I met her last year) and sensible, with a very kind and generous heart.

She told me a couple of days ago that her daughter(similar problems to my son) no longer speaks to her, because she will not give her what she wants. Yet her husband will-that's who the girlfriend communicates with. As she said, it' s like the opposite of our situation-I am the soft touch, where my ex has good solid boundaries...

As much as I appreciate what she does for my son (though I know it's enabling, so it's not healthy and I know it-it just means that I don't have to enable him...being BRUTALLY HONEST, here) I do think it'd be better if she stopped and I really have told her so....got the reply about God's calling-who am I to judge?

More than one friend of mine (including some jail inmates!) has said, "It sounds like she's in love with him..." But how likely is that? I know one can have a kind of crush on a charismatic person, but...

JulieAnn

Cedar,
I found myself trying to find your story. Your writings are incredibly profound and helpful. I am curious why and how you have come to the place where you seem to have figured it out. I love your advice on breathing and really everything. There are others here I'm also aware of that have a gift. The writings are so incredible I feel almost like I'm inadequate at times to say anything. I am in awe of some of the things I've read by you...IWP
You also write beautifully.

blackgnat

Okay,I just got a text that Difficult Child wants to have a chat with his Dad about his big move back to Illinois.

Guess it's a done deal. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks for your support.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Just remember, it's HIS move back to Illinois. His choice, his move. You are not obligated to do anything for him.

:staystrong::notalone:

BusynMember

Change your locks. He almost killed you once. I think his violence and the degree of it is what scares us about your having any alone contact with him. He has done worse than most adult kids on this forum. You can't forget that he is capable of that.

Actually, I think a middle age woman, with the new Cougar thing, can easily fall in love with a twenty something person she finds hot. At any rate, regardless of her motives, she isn't doing him any favors. Why would she help HIM and NOT help her daughter? I smell fish. I can't help it. I don't buy the God thing.

JulieAnn

I'm not ready to believe they do this to us as a deliberate act. I still think/hope that it's the mental illness/drugs talking. Out of desperation maybe? Say anything to get us to pay attention? I can't take it personally, no matter the direct personal attack. Usually, all I have to do is wait a few seconds and the real reason comes out.

BusynMember

Mental illness, except for personality disorders, does not make anyone mean. A rational, well thought out hurtful comment is deliberate and, regardless of the reason, I don't feel we should put up with it. To me that is an inappropriate way for an adult child to try to hurt us or to try to punish us for not giving them money or for not letting them come home because they are dangerous.

Why they say it, in my opinion, doesn't matter. That they would say that to us at all, as much as th ey know we love them, is the issue. Is it ok if we say something horrible to them because we have an underlying issue that has nothing to do with what we say?

As one who has spent a lot of time having horrible things said to me by people who are supposed to love me, like my own mother, I just don't put up with it anymore. Took me long enough! I'm a slow learner, I guess ;)

My daughter acted out of control emotionally when she was using drugs, but she never said anything unkind directed at me. Even drugs don't make you say mean things.

My own personal opinion, which is not in any way proven, is that most of the adult children here have some sort of personality disorder, especially if they DON'T do drugs and are acting horrible while pretty much sober.

InsaneCdn

Mental illness, except for personality disorders, does not make anyone mean
I disagree. Yes, personality disorders can make people very mean - and no remorse.

But I've lived with people affected by other mental illnesses. And when they get really low, they strike out randomly - and very hurtfully. They say and do things that are not part of their "real" personality. When they are "in their right mind", they are very remorseful about the things they said and did - they don't WANT to hurt others, but recognize that they do.

BusynMember

Insane, I have mental illness.

Unless you are psychotic, you are able to think cause and affect and are in your right mind.

Now if you are bipolar manic or psychotic from schizophrenia you may say ANYTHING, but it is usually not meant to be hurtful and is usually because the person really IS NOT living in reality. As a lifelong person facing rather severe depression, it can make you cry an d sad, but you are perfectly aware of what you are saying. Some depressives take their bad moods out on others, but they are still cognizant of what they are saying and the effect it will have.

I'm going to stick to the premeditated meanness being personality disorders, but in any event there is no excuse for it UNLESS you are truly psychotic and just blurt it out. Sounds like Copa's son was very deliberate in what he said and far from "out of it."

JMO of course. Usually I totally agree with you!!!!! :) You rock ;)

JulieAnn

I'm sure you're right SWOT. I just think my son's maturity was stunted somewhere down the line. It's like a toddler having a temper tantrum, lying on the floor, kicking and screaming. It's out of frustration. They don't consciously do it, "I'm just going to lay down here and cause a freaking scene!" they just have nowhere else for their frustrations and anxieties to go.... I wouldn't have taken that personally - all I can do is equate it with that. I'm sure that only applies to a few stunted adult children.

InsaneCdn

When I was younger, I had a form of panic disorder - and when I "snapped"... I spewed out all sorts of stuff, so I'm told. I remembered NONE of it at the time - or afterwards. I was truly out of it, and yet NOT psychotic. It was directly triggered (usually by bullies). My kids seem to be the same - when under stress and one-too-many minor stressors load up, they blow up, and spew all kinds of hurtful words around. I've tried recording and playing back - and when they actually get a chance to hear themselves, they feel really bad, but they honestly do not remember, and did not intend hurt. This is not mania nor psychosis.

BusynMember

But these kids don't feel bad. That's a big difference.

Personality disordered adults act a lot like children through tantrums. This is NOT the same thing as a child having one. Adults HAVE to learn to control tantrums or they will not make it in the world. It is serious if an adult throws a tantrum...and often dangerous.

Scent of Cedar *

I found myself trying to find your story.

We had gone through the privacy issue here on the site some time back. I removed my information at that time. I didn't want my kids to be hurt by what I need to do to come back from what has happened to all of us. I will make a new information for all of us because you are right, Iwantpeace. It is helpful to know one another's situations.

I am 63. I have been married to, or living with, my D H since I was 20 and he was 26. We have two children. I was a mom at home. I did all the typical things a mom at home does. Brownies, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, Great Books, P T A. We were a happy family. I believed I had escaped, had changed the course of things, for myself and my children. You may have read some of the things I have posted regarding my Family of Origin issues. Though our daughter had always done extraordinary kinds of things, though she had always had night terrors and oh, I don't know. So much of what I know now, I did not know, then. She was our first child. She was perfect in our eyes, and we dealt with whatever I did not know how to do through other moms, through parenting classes and Dr Ben Spock and books on raising healthy children. Through her pediatrician. But then, all at once, she began ~ there was something wrong, and we knew we could not help her. You come to that place. She began running away. It was like we could not keep her home for love nor money. I think the police were involved by that time. I would call and report my child missing but there comes a time when the police understand what we do not. That your child is out there somewhere, and that however worried you may be, she is only beginning the journey she is about to take you all on. They would say things like a missing child is not missing for 24 hours. And we must have had some kind of social services involved by that time, because someone somewhere told us that for our daughter to hang around the mall in the heart of the city was okay for her to do.

?

And we hated that.

And one day, she was missing, and D H and I took off work and went there to hunt her down and bring her home. And we spotted her with a man. (We later found out a man who took away little girls just like ours and set them up as prostitutes in a very large city to the south of us.) We didn't even have a clue that could happen to us in that time. We spotted our daughter. D H crooked his elbow between one of hers and I did the same to the other elbow, and we dragged her, kicking and screaming, out of that mall. When we got her home, we called therapists to see who could take us that day. An adolescent crisis center in our city could take her 45 minutes sooner than one of the therapists I had found who would have been able to take us that day.

So, we took her there.

She was there for two weeks.

That was a very bad mistake, that we did that. Or maybe it wasn't. We only have the terrible results of the things we do to help our children to gauge the successes of our actions on. The thing is that the unspoken question was what family pathology was this troubled child acting out. The unspoken accusation was that she was acting out unspoken pain. They told us initially that our daughter bore all the symptoms of a child without a father in the home. Well, that wasn't it because D H was there, waiting for her, before she was ever conceived. They told us home was not safe for her. They told us she needed treatment or she would die.

They told us she was alcoholic.

She was only fourteen. She was blond and blue eyed and she played the violin and took ballet classes.

And they told us there was no difference between treatment facilities.

And that was a total lie and we know that now but we did not know that, then.

And all of this kicked in my Family of Origin stuff big time.

And somewhere along the way, our son began using drugs and got addicted and we missed that somehow. And we could never in a million years believe in that addiction piece because something was not right with our first child, too.

It was for our son that I found this site. I think it may not have existed when our daughter was ~ when what happened to our daughter began to happen. We had a computer, but the internet was a new thing, back in that time.

Well, let's see.

So, up and down, helping one or both kids. Our daughter had a child. That is another level of vulnerability, another kind of horrible disappointment, unimaginable to anyone who has not gone through it. The father was ~ whoa. Unbelievable to us that this could be happening. That any of this could even be happening. It was like we could not think fast enough to identify all the bad things that kept getting worse. Somewhere in there, I decided it must be that I had hurt both my kids in the ways I had been hurt by my family of origin and then blocked it out. So, I went into therapy to find it and fix what I had done.

And I kept not finding it.

So I took the same kind of leap I take here regarding FOO issues, and enacted some pretty scary therapy to find out whether I was evil, or just plain stupid, or what. But the therapist was not a therapist but only a holistic physician, and something called counter transference happened. And though I am posting mostly about our daughter here, our son was into and out of the ongoing wreckage of addiction.

And at one point, we took our granddaughters in. When I brought them to the school here, we learned they could not enroll them because we did not have guardianship.

So, I learned to home school.

And we did okay, because the next year, they went right into the next grade with flying colors.

But that was a pretty hard thing, too.

Our daughter was somehow enamored of men from a culture where woman beating is normal. Both our granddaughters are children from that culture, too. So, no matter how many times we put everything right for our daughter, she would always go back to on or the other of the abusive males who had fathered her first two children so the children could know their fathers.

Our daughter became a teacher. A math/science teacher. She worked, and loved working with, disadvantaged kids who were really bright and just sort of pissing their lives away.

And she was very, very good at what she did.

Three years ago now, she walked in on a male teacher in a closet with one of her former male students.

Which reawakened old trauma. She did the right thing, told her principle, was primary witness for the charges that were pressed and so on. The teacher was a former Marine or something. A big man, a mean man, a man whose job it was to deal with the unruly students in this school devoted to students with these issues. He threatened our daughter. Did things like tie dead squirrels to the door handle on her van. And that reawakened everything she had fought down having to do with all the bad things she had done, and all the bad places she had been.

So, she moved home.

And right smack into those same old friends from her past.

And she had four children by this time, three living at home.

And when we went South that year, our daughter fell apart altogether. But what we heard was mostly ~ there was nothing specific. Nothing I could know to call Social Services and tell them to get the kids out of there until we could get home. The police did checks on her for me and found nothing wrong enough to take action, either. Family here checked her, too. Something not right, but nothing wrong enough to merit coming home or to merit calling in Social Services. Our daughter's ex husband went to visit his sons at Christmas. And walked into a living nightmare. Addiction, drugs, homeless people, vicious criminals. So, he got the kids out of there ~ all three of them, though only two were his. And our daughter was evicted and went homeless and we got stuck for that because we had co-signed. And winters there are often thirty degrees below zero. And she was so battered and addled and addicted. (!) And all I could hang onto was that the kids were safe with the ex-husband. And I couldn't know what to do about the guilt I felt at all the things I should have done. She was state mandated into treatment. When her tax return came in (working teacher with a life and a fiancee and a home nine months before, remember) she escaped and took a taxi back to that city and those people. She would be homeless for some months. We would be sending money. She would come in off the streets the very day, I would receive the call ~ the very moment, we were leaving for the airport to collect our Southern neighbor. So, we brought clothing for her, picked her up off the streets, and went to the airport to collect our neighbor, who did not know a thing about our children. Which was awkward, but he is a very nice man, and our daughter is so funny and sweet and honest about pretty much everything.

So, we got through that somehow.

And our son was still addiction boy, with everything that implies.

But somehow, we got through that. I had come back onto the site at some point as we were going through what happened with our daughter. And then, our daughter and the father of her youngest daughter, who was thirteen then I think, fell back into love and then, back into addiction, together. And just after Thanksgiving a year and a half ago he beat her over a period of three days and left her for dead. But she did not die. There was bone damage, and there was brain damage. She was emotionally labile, she was not able to maintain her balance.

Oh, somewhere in there, the male she was living with while homeless and we were still down South ~ after she ran from the state mandated treatment center this was. And he crashed her van into a stone wall in an attempt to kill them both.

This is what I mean, when I post about every new trauma punishing us back into the unresolved old ones. Even now when I am only posting to you, I am getting the trauma times confused.

So I know what I'm talking about when I post that to one of the others of us.

So. The beating. (The male I just popped back into trauma mode about beat her too. Same culture. I am posting now about the beating in November of 2013.

Well, there are grandchildren in here, and there are other really bad things that happened, but that is the basic story.

The male who beat her in November of 2013 was charged at the Federal level. He is in a Federal prison currently. But here is the twist: I trusted and believed in and loved him, too. He is the father of one of my grandchildren. I know his mother, his sister, a niece.

I have watched him grow up, suffered when he fell.

And I don't want to lust for vengeance, but I do. And I don't know what to do with any of it.

Our daughter is miraculously doing well. We did not enable. We did not bring her home. We did not take our grandchild or our grandchildren. Though, somewhere in here, our son called demanding we take he and his son.

So, we just stood that and said no and no and no.

And that hurt us, but anything else we had done hurt us too. So all we could do was stand up. That is how I know what I mean when I post that we are flying by the seats of our pants with our hearts in our throats.

That is how I know that true thing.

And our son is doing well now, for now, too. Little rough around the edges; times when he hates us (me). Times when he needs the strength in me, times when he doesn't know how to see his way through challenges of his own.

Hearts in our throats, flying by the seats of our pants.

So, the only thing I really know is that loving them, loving ourselves if we can do it, that's how to keep moving through it. That is why I want those family of origin issues clarified. I cannot do therapy at a level deep enough to risk vulnerability to any one person ~ not after that first therapist.

So I am doing that here, with all of you, and I am so limitlessly grateful for each of you.

And that's my story.

It's like Leonard Cohen's "Halleluiah" the way kd lang sings it.

It's like looking into the eyes of the Mary, holding her own Son.

How do we learn to suffer, and to savor our lives, still? Well, like that. Like this, like what we do, here on the site, for one another.

So, I will put some little something about all this on my identification piece, because you do merit that. It's just hard to know what to put.

:O)

Here is a quote that helped me. It's from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.

The quality of Mercy is not strain'd
It falleth like the gentle rain from Heav'n
upon the place beneath.

It is twice blest;
it blesseth him that gives
and him that takes.

Tis mightiest in the Mighty.

Last edited:

Scent of Cedar *

I forgot the part about going back to school. This was after the first therapist. I had no way to answer those questions: Was I stupid in some way I couldn't see, that I couldn't save my own child? Was I evil. Was I evil like my mother, evil in that same way.

And is that why this happened, with that first therapist.

Something really bad about me.

So, I chose an exclusive Catholic university. Two birds with one stone. If I were stupid, I would learn that. And if I were evil...they would.

And I graduated with honors. I had declared a Nursing Major during my Junior year at that school because I wanted to be of value.

I am a Hospice volunteer. I hold a green belt (which is no big deal, just a beginner's belt) in Okiawan karate. I took many years of ballet classes. I am very into yoga. I love baking and make excellent pastry.

That's pretty much it.

Cedar

I went back into karate about a two weeks ago.

I am thinking about learning dressage riding.

My D H and I are still married. I really don't know how he managed to stay committed to me. He never gave up and so, I came back to him and to our marriage and our life together, and I am grateful for that, too.

I don't much care for my family of origin.

Scent of Cedar *

Okay,I just got a text that Difficult Child wants to have a chat with his Dad about his big move back to Illinois.

That is a game. It is called "hot potato". Don't catch the potato, blackgnat. Don't engage in any way with the hot potato game. You need to move to Colorado or Alaska or even Syria would be safer for you now than wherever they are playing catch the hot potato.

You cannot love your son out of addiction. If your love could save him, he would be a successful television preacher today, would be someone so assuredly saved no one can even believe it.

Halleluiah, pass the ketchup, right?

Just don't throw me no steenking potatoes.

(I got that "steenking" from Lil.)

:O)

Cedar