why do vitamins hurt my tummy?

Discussion in 'Healthful Living / Natural Treatments Archive' started by Sue C, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Sue C

Sue C Active Member

I've tried taking vitamins over the years, but they always make my stomach hurt. I tried taking them after breakfast. I tried taking them after lunch. But my tummy still hurt either way.

Any idea how I can take vitamins so my stomach will not hurt? I really feel like I need to take them.

Thanks,
    sue
  2. SRL

SRL Active Member

Have you tried children's chewables?
  3. smallworld

smallworld Moderator

Sue, it's generally the iron in the vitamins that makes tummies hurt. You need to find a low- or no-iron formula. I take Centrum Silver (even though I'm not yet 50) because it doesn't have any iron in it. It's worth a try.
  4. wakeupcall

wakeupcall Active Member

I have to take iron-free multivitamins, also. I have terrible reactions with those that have iron. Safeway Select brand has one without iron. I suggest you give that a try!
  5. hearts and roses

hearts and roses Mind Reader

I take my multi before bed to avoid the upset stomach feeling. I take my other supplements after meals in the daytime.
  6. Scent of Cedar II

Scent of Cedar II New Member

I'm thinking it's the iron, too.

Oil of Olay makes a nice vitamin combo that I took for awhile. Now, I can't find them.

If you read the label for iron content, that might make your decision as to which kind to take a lttle easier.

Right now, I am taking Estroven. In addition to B vitamins, it contains black cohosh. I think this is helping with hot flashes.

It's hard to know whether it is really helping though, or whether I am just at a place in my cycle where the flashing is decresing a little.

Someone here called hot flashes power surges. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Someone else said it was our inner child, playing with matches.

Barbara
  7. Shari

Shari IsItFridayYet?

I have this problem and take Flintstones. Haven't had any problems with them, and can even take the iron ones now.
  8. Sue C

Sue C Active Member

Shari -- don't you have to take like a zillion (OK, I'm exagerating) Flintstones if you are an adult? How many do you take? Once Melissa and I were shopping at Sam's Club and they had some new kids' vitamins (I think like gummies), and I asked the lady working at the display about Melissa taking them ('cuz she cannot swallow pills). She told me they were only for children.

Thanks, everyone, for your ideas. I will definitely check into a vitamin without iron! I remember my dr. mentioning Centrum awhile back.

sue
  9. Star*

Star* call 911........call 911

Barbara - ROFLMBO - OMG

Someone else said hot flashes was

Our inner child playing with matches -

Must go now - have 1% milk coming out of my nose and in the keyboard.

VERY FUNNY