13 year old son with repeat behavior issues at school

missmommy

I believe they tell me that to get me to stop trying. I'm not going to stop. But I am going to wait until he gets his full psychiatric evaluation. His therapist believes he has red flags for aspergers. It's time to get that diagnosis if that's what it is. Then we can start the paperwork and get that ball rolling.

missmommy

This week it's like we were just thrown out on the street. They informed me Monday after the incident they claim took place Friday. They know I'm a single working mother. They could have told me Friday and chose to wait all weekend when I could have been pursuing other options and not caught so off guard.

BusynMember

Have you ever spoken to your states Dept. Of Education? They are the ones who can and will help you. The district is one Good Ole Boys club. The Dept. Of Ed is the boss of every school district.

The DPI will tell you the name and phone number of your FREE advocate. There is no cost to hire or retain one. I had one for my son. We got a lot done with an advocate next to us at the table. The advocates can take school districts to court.

The District can also investigate your sons case and insist that the school district take specific action. Or they can punish the district, i was told, by, say, withholding funding.

Dont expect the school districts leaders to go against one another. You need to reach above them.

missmommy

Have you ever spoken to your states Dept. Of Education? They are the ones who can and will help you. The district is one Good Ole Boys club. The Dept. Of Ed is the boss of every school district.

The DPI will tell you the name and phone number of your FREE advocate. There is no cost to hire or retain one. I had one for my son. We got a lot done with an advocate next to us at the table. The advocates can take school districts to court.

The District can also investigate your sons case and insist that the school district take specific action. Or they can punish the district, i was told, by, say, withholding funding.

Dont expect the school districts leaders to go against one another. You need to reach above them.
Thank you. I have not. I felt safe before. I know better now. I will be doing that.

BusynMember

Aw, hey, we struggled too for a long time before we were pointed in the right direction. We got everything we wanted for our son and didnt have to spend a dime. Private advocates and lawyers cost so much. We never could have paid all that. DPI has free advocates for every school district.

You are a single mom. You dont need to spend big bucks to get excellent results. Crossing fingers, toes, eyes...

Hugs :)

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry they treated your son and you so horribly! What they did was truly wrong. They waited until Monday to inform you so that they could blindside you and give you no other options or legal recourse. I seriously wonder what was really going on there that your son doesn't know to tell you about. There are just some things that make me wonder if something really wrong wasn't done by the teachers or staff.

The whole bit about high IQ and test scores making him not eligible for an IEP is just pure, unadulterated bovine manure!! It has NOTHING to do with him needing an IEP! I heard that song and dance for each of my kids. By the time they told me this with my 3rd child they were totally shocked when I broke out in giggles. I told them to give it up because it was the funniest, silliest excuse for not giving an IEP or 504 that they could try. Didn't they know by now that it wasn't going to work? Hadn't we been down this road with my other kids?? Then I suggested we all get serious and work out his IEP and stop wasting each others' time.

They really didn't know what to do with me by that point. But honestly, it was my 3rd kid. The same people at the meetings. The same tired excuses. Do they give out a handbook of "Bovine Excrement Excuses for Denying IEPs" to school administrators the same way our Difficult Children get those handbooks of what to say while trying to make us feel guilty?

Call the people SWOT suggested and get an advocate. Or if you need help finding one, send me a private message (I think it is now called starting a conversation) and I will do some searching to find some resources for you. This is different than having your sister come to the meetings. This is someone professional who knows the laws and your rights and who is there to fight for YOU.

Also go to the wrightslaw website (google wrightslaw) and check out their special education forums to learn more about the process and your rights and what you can and should do.

I am truly sorry that this school was so awful to you and your son. Just making him leave without letting him say goodbye or anything was truly wrong. How DARE they claim to be "special education" when they are obviously only interested in money and children who fit into their little molds. I can only imagine what they would have done with my oldest. Wiz would have made them miserable. And had fun while he did it.

missmommy

Thank you all so much for the advice and understanding. I'm planning to email the other parents to let them know what happened and invite my son's friends to get together and have a chance to see him again. I'm also going to call tomorrow to initiate the process of having an advocate for him. His new teachers so far seem to be willing to work together so I am deeply hoping for the best for him.