6 cavities! and Take Your Kid to Work

M

ML

Does that seem like a lot for a 9 yo? Granted, this 9yo has a sugar addiction and bad brushing habits but still. He needs 2 crowns. I also worry about the metal toxicity in his mouth. Maybe I need a second opinion. But I sure feel like a contender for the worst mom award today. At the last checkup 6 months ago he had 0 cavities. That's one cavity per week since the last time. I *do* make sure to remind him to brush twice a day but I haven't been standing over him like I used to. I may have to do some kind of test on him and send him back to it if he doesnt' pass. Any suggestions?

Also, Thursday was take your kid to work day. He had a lot of fun but I didn't get much work done. He got to go up to the top of the capital and saw legislators in session.The capital is right across the street from my building. I got my review that day. I'm still employed :)

klmno

That sounds like maybe he has a mineral or vitamin deficiency of some sort. I think I would assk the pediatrician about it. Also, I wonder if they looked very hard for cavities the last visit. There used to be a tablet kids could chew right before brushing theeir teeth. It turned the teeth red and came off when brushing- any missed spots would still be red until brushed- making it obvious where brushing is lacking and "motivating" the kid to brush ALL areas of teeth. It was harmless. I have tried to find these for difficult child, but can't. The dentist told me to look in the dental section at the pharmacy, but I still can't find them.

Andy

They give those tablets to school kids once in awhile but I can never find them in public either. Would the school nurse or whoever gives the health classes have a lead? I would love to get some for my kids also.

I have heard that sometimes medications take its toll on teeth. A pediatric dentist may know more on that. Did the dentist have any input as to why so many cavities?

How about genetics? I believe poor teeth run in families.

As for Take Your Kid to Work Day. I think it is so good for kids to have that experience and fun for workers also. This year I took advantage of it for the first time (I have a small private office so knew difficult child wouldn't bother co-workers, just me). I worked for 3 hours - the first 2 were fine - difficult child brought his lap top and played games. The next 1/2 hour was starting to fidget and getting bored. The last 1/2 was hands on calculator and hanging out in the hallway. My office is in a locked area so he couldn't get too far. He was upset that I would not let him watch the t.v. in a gathering area since he was suppose to be in my sight at all times. Anyway, he stated it was harder to go to my work than his dad's office (larger, more space to spread out/play) and school.

My son's class will go to the MN capital next year and I can't wait. We may try to find time to get there this Spring (if Spring ever comes - go away blizzard). What a fun and special day for you and difficult child! :)

susiestar

Roll With It
I would ask the doctor for a flouride gel or if flouride tablets are in order. Does he drink a lot of bottled water or does your household water come from a source that is not flouridated?

Also, did he have any of these teeth coated? They put special coatings on some teeth to keep them from getting cavities. You might ask about that. You also might have to try to get some of the sugar out of his diet.

Susie

witzend

I had at least that many when I was his age. Of course, I never brushed my teeth... and we didn't have flouridated water.

My kids never had cavities until they were adults as we had sealants put on all of their teeth. Crowns seem a little extreme. You're talking root canals there. Are these baby teeth? Are they mature teeth coming in already rotten? He'd have to have had untreated decay for quite some time to need a root canal.

What type of insurance do you have? Some of those HMO insurers are notorious for wanting to do root canals and crowns. Then they don't do it all at once, the root canal takes 6 - 7 visits. I'd check into what exactly it is that they are proposing before you agree to anything.

We're very lucky. Our insurance pays 100% for check-ups (and most other basic work) every 6 months, and we're so vigilant we really don't have any problems. It's a whole different story without decent insurance.

Nancy

My difficult child had 18 cavities a year ago when she went for her checkup. The dentist has been telling her for years tolay off the sugar and pop and to brush regularly. difficult child never brushes and is addicted to sugar. It cost me $2500.00 to get her cavities filled. Then just a few weeks ago she went back for a checkup and had 4 more cavities. These are all between her teeth, telltale sign of neglect on her part.

Nancy

MicheleL,

Our difficult child never had a cavity until two years ago when he was 14. He has had sealents, flouride treatments, and sixth month checkups since he was 2. At that sixth month checkup the dentist said , "Wow, this front tooth is completely blown, and it was fine at the last checkup." difficult child is on a number of medications - all of which contribute to a serious dry mouth problem.

He had to have his braces removed, a root canal, a post and crown. Now it has been discovered that his tooth root is fractured and we are working with a periodontist, his orthodonist, and his dentist as a team to "extrude" what is left of the tooth to create extra bone so that an implant can be done. All of this for a 16 year old who never had a cavity before! The dentists are all agreed that the medication has caused this. It is most unusual to have this kind of problem with a "front" tooth.

Medications can truly impact dental health. I don't know if your difficult child is taking any medications that are known to impact teeth, but many times prescribing docs don't know about this problem. We have changed some of difficult child's medications and he now goes to the dentist every 4 months for a checkup. He also uses a prescription flouride toothpaste (as well as a special "dry mouth" toothpaste), and drinks copious amounts of water to keep his mouth moist.

I hope this is your difficult child's last experience with cavities. That's a lot of work to have done. Hang in there!