A Little Confused

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Bunny, Jul 10, 2012.

  1. Bunny

    Bunny Guest

    I was on the phone with the nueropsych this afternoon because I had questions about whether or not my health insurance will cover the academic testing that I have set up for easy child (he seems to think that they won't and that I will wind up paying out of pocket for it. I'll deal with that when I come to it.) Anyway, he was asking what the problems were and what I was seeking testing for, and I was explaining the problems that easy child has been having in school and I told him that I wanted to do auditory processing testing, but was advised by the audiologist to do the neuropsychologist testing first. The neuro said that if easy child has no hearing or speech problems then auditory processing testing is probably not necessary. I thought that whether or not easy child could hear was different than whether or not he could process what he was hearing. Anyone know anything more?
  2. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    In this case, it is the neuropsychologist that is confused... but, in reality, many people are.

    Most people are aware of the "original" Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), sometimes called Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) - where the person has trouble processing verbal language. And yes, this one DOES affect language development, so if language is "normal", it won't be this Auditory Processing Disorders (APD).

    BUT... there are other APDs. The impact is huge. And no, a neuropsychologist won't know unless they have a particular reason to know. (recent training, exposure to individuals with these challenges, etc.)

    If it were me? I'd be running the testing in parallel and/or ahead of the neuropsychologist. We did - Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), 2x - and both times, the comprehensive evaluators (we don't have access to neuropsychologist) were glad we did.

    A standard audiologist isn't going to catch it either.
    Here the screening starts with Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) - and from there, to extremely specialized (PhD level) audiologist.
  3. Bunny

    Bunny Guest

    Thanks!! I thought that what he was saying was not quite right, but I wanted to make sure.