A Way To Give Back

susiestar

Roll With It
This holiday is about being thankful, and that is amazing. I often feel that part of being thankful, for me, is finding a way to give back. I do know that others don't always feel that way or that need, and that is okay.

One easy way to give back is to be an organ donor. In most states you can sign up when you renew your driver's license, but you can also register online in many states. The website organdonor.gov has all sorts of info about organ donation.

This page: http://organdonor.gov/becomingdonor/stateregistries.html will take you to your state to find out how to register, if you are interested.

If you are not interested, that is fine. If you are interested, it is easy to sign up.

susiestar

Roll With It
If you choose to sign the form, read it carefully. I know in my state the form supercedes the family's wishes. If my family objects, they don't have a say. I haven't discussed it with my folks lately, but they know I have been determined on this issue since my teens. husband and my kids all know how I feel and what my choice is, so it won't be a problem for them. I do urge that you discuss your wishes with those you love, no matter how you feel on this issue. You just never know what will happen, and knowing your desires takes the struggle to decide out of their hands.

I chose to register online after finding out that what I filled out at the DMV wasn't much more than a sticker on my license. It didn't get my name into the donor registry until/unless someone contacted them that I was close to done with my parts. The online registy, at least for my state, is a more centralized list so that if I am separated from my license or whatever, the info is easily available.