Anger issues

SnowAngel

I have noticed over the last week that peanut can't handle when people are upset even if it doesn't involve him. He immediately starts pushing things,knocking over chairs,has gone after the cat and cries without being able to be comforted.His counselor came over yesterday,but seemed to not have any suggestions.He said he thought it was more a chemical reaction.

Help!! Any suggestions or views? I am scared he will react at school this way. Thanks.

busywend

I assume he can not tell you why he is upset at the time. What about after the rage? Can he explain what set him off?

F

flutterbee

That has anxiety written all over it. Is he on medications for anxiety? Or treatment for anxiety? Often at that age, they are unable to recognize it for what it is so part of treatment is teaching the kids to be able to identify it.

trinityroyal

I agree with Wyntersgrace about the anxiety.

My difficult child used to have a similar reaction when other people would get upset. He would get very hostile and defiant, break things, etc.

This is the same behaviour he exhibits during other situations when he gets anxious (e.g. when he had to take a test at school, he would mouth off to the teacher or punch another student, so that he would get kicked out of class and not have to take the test).

Helping Peanut to identify the physical symptoms of anxiety might help him understand what's happening in his own body, and allow him to cope better without getting overwhelmed.

All the best,
Trinity

SnowAngel

Sadly,no. He can't tell me why he was so upset. He sometimes doesn't remember being upset himself or his behavior when he is upset.

SnowAngel

No medications for anxiety.He has a psychiatrist appointment on the 8th. I will ask about medications then.He does still sleep with me and the therapist felt it was anxiety related.

I'm glad he has a psychiatrist appointment soon. Hopefully, the psychiatrist will be able to prescribe something to help with the anxiety.

Sending cyber hugs. Raging is so difficult to deal with. WFEN