Another Phone in the Pool

WSM

difficult child disappeared husband's cell phone. husband and I got new ones when our plan renewed. husband's new phone went into the pool twice (difficult child sneaks it when it's just laying around and drops it in). His phone doesn't work now, so I gave him my new one; I can't use it becasue I work in a secure facility and can't have camera phones and use my old candy bar on.

Saturday husband and difficult child were cleaning out the shed and the phone was on the picnic table. husband went upstairs just for a minute to get some aspirin; he's had a migraine for three weeks now (we think it's high blood pressure). That's all the time it took. difficult child threw it in the pool, then two minutes later denied all responsibility. He was the only one around: my kids were gone, daughter was cleaning her room, I was on the couch reading.

I was upset and went out the front to pace and keep my peace. I walked past a parked car that we are renovating. In the back seat was a the first Harry Potter book from a boxed set I got my son for Xmas. difficult child has stolen the Harry Potter books endlessly and for Xmas got his own set. They disappeared about a month ago--now my son's is hidden in the back seat of an unused car.

difficult child says he has no idea how it got there. Gee, that's only one of his favorite spots to hide his uniforms, shoes, and once a pair of glasses belonging to my son.

It never ends. No one cares. It's not a big deal to the world.

And this endlessness makes life hell.

Just a vent, just complaining. :mad:

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
O I am sorry...

You must be SOOOO frustrated...and while you are right, it often FEELS like no one cares or understands...you know that WE do....and you are welcome to vent away at any time.

((((hugs))))

--DaisyF

kymmie

I don't have much advice to help you deal with your difficult child, but the water damaged cell phone, you could try:

1) Never attempt to turn it on if it is wet.

2) Remove the battery

3) Place the phone and battery inside a bowl of uncooked rice for 3-4 days

The rice will soak up the moisture from the phone and in some cases allow it to function again.

aeroeng

Mom of Three
Fustrating. Last weekend the school had a yard sale. There was a lovely vase that only cost $.50. I said, "No, my life does not accept nice things right now". $.50 to clean up a broken vase. Not worth it. It is so fustrating keeping everything locked away. Hard to live this way.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Time to buy a very short leash for difficult child and use it. CPS will understand -- I SURE do ;).

shad16_12

throw something he loves in the pool...Last week my son flipped the coffee table and all of its contents over on the floor and wouldnt pick it up...so i took his mp3 player that he paid for with his own money which he made sure i knew and stated i shudnt be taking it for said reason...its the only thing that made it worth taking tho because he did buy it with his own money. I told him if he was going to disrespect my things then id do the same...eventually (when he wanted to listen to his music) he picked everything up...i kno it killed him but whatever...sonja

gcvmom

Here we go again!
"No, my life does not accept nice things right now".

I can COMPLETELY relate to that! I keep telling myself we're going for the "distressed" look at our house. That way I don't freak out over scratches, dings, holes, cracks, etc.

I figure I've got about 8 more years to go before I dare get any "new" furniture or go for that kitchen remodel I've wanted forever. Hoping the difficult child's will be out on their own by then.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Fustrating. Last weekend the school had a yard sale. There was a lovely vase that only cost $.50. I said, "No, my life does not accept nice things right now". $.50 to clean up a broken vase. Not worth it. It is so fustrating keeping everything locked away. Hard to live this way.

Yep, me too. There's just no point in getting nice things and expecting them to withstand difficult child's.

I'm sorry WSM....I know what you're going through. No realistic advice but sending hugs and understanding.

gwenny

Just wanted to let you know that your not alone!! sending you (((HUGS)))).

Sorry that you have to go through this.

Andy

How totally frustrating!!! Why the pool and phones? Wonder what he would do if you get an old worthless one and hand it to him, "difficult child, I know how much you love throwing cell phones into the pool so I bought you one. Go ahead and toss it in - then you need to dig it out so that you can throw it back in the next time you feel the urge."

Another thing to try - when you find something in one of his favorite hiding places, quietly remove it and put it on his pillow where he will be sure to see it. Don't say a word, just move it into plain sight so he can know that it was found.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. i would be throwing all of HIS things in the water, but that would probably escalate things. I TOTALLY remember the hades we went through while Wiz was doing similar things. At least your son isn't filling the toilet and THEN dumping things in it. Wiz tried that one, but I made him fish the things out with his bare hands - wouldn't let him out of the bathroom until he had done that AND cleaned up the mess he made in the bathroom. It was a horrible day.

How does husband feel about an Residential Treatment Center (RTC)? Any available help from psychiatrist or therapist on that front?

((( )))) difficult child did similar dtuff when unstable. She would steal my cell phone and then deny it. She would take stuff that mattered to me, my Bible or inspirational books and destroy them This was part of her biplar miancky illness.
It is a lot easier to have compassion for the illness when I am not livng it 24/7.
I see how powerless I was over that sort of ill behavior. The stealing stuff is very disprtive and casues much tensiona nd strain in the family. For 5 weeks now we have not ahd to lock anything up. There have been no stolen cell phones, or cresit cards or anything else.
We care, we belive you. Compassion