Any competitive runners around here?

DDD

Our area is big on 5K's. Obviously, lol, that is not my thing. What I want to know is if there is a standard shorter version of competition? Our event in October can't include a 5K but I'm wondering if there is a way to include the running fanatics in an approved way. I know the police don't want to block the roads for a long run! Thanks. DDD

3.5 miles is the 5K. You could maybe have a "fun run" that could be a mile long- and it could be just 1/2 a mile one way and 1/2 a mile back. People could walk or run, and it wouldn't be as complicated as the 5K to organize. Here, our 5K's are on the boardwalk, and all that's needed is a cone for a turn around point. Then there are some volunteers on bikes making sure there are no cheaters, but if you aren't giving out prizes, who cares if people "cheat"? Maybe some volunteers for safety issues, and that should be it. If it's to raise money for a charity, call it "Johnny's Run" or something.

DDD

Thanks Up for the "fun run" idea. That would be doable and is something I'll suggest to the Board this week.
Geez, the Board members know everything! :D DDD

B

boo

Actually a 5k is 3.1 miles, not 3.5. : )

And a marathon is 26.2 miles. Don't ever forget that .2 when you are talking to a runner!

A 1 mile fun run is a great idea, good luck.

Star*

call 911........call 911
If 5k is 3.1 miles - I wonder what that would be in doughnut length - I'll check on my phone converter - the average length of a Krispy Kreme glaze doughnut - divide that into the length of one mile, multiply that by 3...divide .1 by 1 mile and add that to the 3 and tell you what I come up with in doughnuts.....

By now if Deb were here she'd already be working on this - lol.....(She counts everything) and I put things like this here to bug her....on purpose.....but if I threw in a whammy like - And then......one day......at the doughnut shop "JOHN" leaned on the batter machine and made odd sized glazed doughnuts for 20 minutes at a rate of 3 dozen per minute....she would figure that out too.

Just sit them at the end of my drive - or better yet - put them on the tail gate of someones wagon - and tell Beth her kids are looking for her.....then again - she wants to do a 5k right? ----let boo figure it out...lol.