Any thoughts on Wellbutrin ?

shellyd67

Hi all ! Hope everyone is enjoying the end of summer.

It's been quite a while since I have posted but I check in a few times per week.

difficult child recently had a evaluation with a neuropsychologist and then after diagnosis was referred to a Neurologist who had a lot of experience in ADHD medications and their advantages and disadvantages.

After an extensive interview and reviewing all difficult child's records he feels its best that difficult child begin Wellbutrin.

He feels as though it will help him with focus, attention and "lift his spirits" and it will help motivate him.

difficult child has really bad tics while on stimulant medications and Neuro doctor feels this will help reduce tics as well.

I asked a ton of questions. The Doctor was so down to earth and upbeat and really made difficult child and myself feel so comfortable.

I just hate the medication-go-round ... I have been online doing all the research I can but I always feel this is the best forum to gain strength and knowledge.

He wants to start difficult child's dose out at 75mg and then follow up in 6 weeks to see how things are going.

This also will replace his current medication of Vyvanse 40mg.

Thank you !!!

DammitJanet

I take wellbutrin again now and I was on it years ago as one of my first medications to help with bipolar. It is the one AD I can take without inducing mania. It does seem to help me with mood and just feeling better.

Bunny

I took Wellbutrin for a while to help with depression and it helped quite a bit. The only side effect that I noticed was a decreased appetite, which worried the doctor because I'm fairly thin to begin with, and in his words, I was "melting away before his eyes." My scale didn't seem to see the same results that he did, but I did notice that I just wasn't vey hungry when I was on it. Other than that, it was very helpful.

fabfive

I took Wellbutrin last year but it did not help me. I have pretty bad anxiety (I struggle with hypochondria) and it made it a lot worse. I was pretty bummed because I had heard good things about it but it was not the right medication for me. Good luck.

shellyd67

Thanks everyone for your replies. neuropsychologist seems to think Wellbutrin will help with difficult child's ADHD too. I am still researching and have yet to fill the RX.

Shelly