Anyone else not able to medicate?

Gingernut

My difficult child has not been able to take any medications thus far for his ADHD, ODD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Tourette's, and anxiety disorder. We tried the gluten-free, casein-free diet and it didn't change a thing, so that won't help either. Has anyone had any success with any supplements or homeopathic treatments? Thanks!

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
A few things worth reading:

Easing ADHD without medications: http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/02/easing-adhd.aspx

Excercise:
Sports, Exercise, and ADHD - http://www.chadd.org/Understanding-...d-Social-Skills/Sports-Exercise-and-ADHD.aspx

Emerging Support for a Role of Exercise in Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Intervention Planning - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3724411/

Reduced Tic Symptomatology in Tourette Syndrome After an Acute Bout of Exercise: An Observational Study - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24778432

Relaxation:
http://www.tourettesyndrome.net/disorders/anxiety-disorders/relax/

Magnesium supplements:
The effects of magnesium physiological supplementation on hyperactivity in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Positive response to magnesium oral loading test - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9368236

The central role of magnesium deficiency in Tourette's syndrome: causal relationships between magnesium deficiency, altered biochemical pathways and symptoms relating to Tourette's syndrome and several reported comorbid conditions - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11863398

Hope some of this info helps.

Gingernut

My son is unable to exercise due to a rare nerve disease, so that part won't work...however I will check out the links above that are not exercise related. I appreciate your response! Thanks so much.

Confused

I just wanted to lend you my support, and I hope you find something to help your son. Im sure something in the link runawaybunny gave you will help!

mehak

I know a lot of us and/or our kiddos are on special diets. I came across this blog and this recipe for an egg replacement that you can make at home. It sounds easy to do and easy to use, so I thought some of you might enjoy trying it. the blog also has a LOT of other recipes that might be helpful. Some even look good to picky eater me!

______

MEHAK

2much2recover

My difficult child has not been able to take any medications thus far for his ADHD, ODD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Tourette's, and anxiety disorder.
Is it that it doesn't work or he doesn't want to take it? With ODD, it may be a control issue. I hope you find something that works.

gwend1

We follow the Feingold diet and it has been amazingly successful for us. While we did see some positives with gluten-free, casein-free (mostly with my daughter's high need for movement) we still had frequent rage episodes, sensory processing disorder (SPD), ADHD and anxiety disorder diagnoses. My daughter no longer meets the criteria for any of them. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Just.Me

I have a child with Autism, ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Sensory, and probably some reactive attachment, but honestly when you get that far with diagnoses, who cares? What is important is I do not treat him with medications. I am more than FINE for people to use medications, and several times have wanted to myself. My son was born addicted to meth. It took 18 months for me to realize something was not right. Here is what I did:

1. Got diagnosed.
2. Contacted a DAN doctor, who was also an MD. (Love the one in Oregon City, OR)
3. Tested him for foods leaking into the blood streams, parasites (plenty of those! yuck), and a yeast over growth. He came back positive for over 30 foods, which explained why not removing a small handful made any type of difference. (Until I removed all 30) The tests also showed leaky gut, with high counts of a yeast over growth in his intestine.
4. Started a diet and vitamin regimen, along with a yeast killer. I removed ALL allergies, and he lived off veggies and meat. He took up to 20 vitamins at a time. He was so depleted on vitamins we almost hospitalized him for Iron. As his vitamin levels went up, and the yeast died the symptoms got better. One day, he made eye contact with me and I sobbed.
5. Started Therapy targeting the parts of the brain that were undeveloped. I learned (on my own) that the dophime is not being produced in enough quantities. My doctor then told me what to do at home to start to force the brain to change. I worked with a behavioral therapists to teach remorse, feelings, ect. An Occupational Therapist to teach him how to organize his brain and impulse control. Last, a speech therapist because he could not speak until the age of 3. At home, he had NO imagination and I slowly started to increase TV free time with play time, while I played with toys and he watched. Slowly he joined. At night we told him stories, when he was tired that were adventures (no ending, so he could think about them). All these things are pulling together. Now, the TV is off until 6pm every night. He sleeps, plays, does not hurt me or animals, looks me in the eye and can speak.

You asked about Oxytocien and I would say over and over DO IT NOW. The first time I did a 4 day treatment every day we could see him bonding to me, it was surreal, and by the end he made eye contact for the first time. I have done 3 other treatments with outstanding success. I have also done an Oxytocien treatment on my daughter with amazing effects.

My son is now 6 years old. At the age of 2, I had a destructive child that could not comprehend, speak, or understand me. He drooled, and chewed on things. He could not play or self entertain. He had no remorse and would run by and punch you out of the blue. He made no eye contact and wanted nothing to do with any one. Ever.

Now, he is typical with the following exceptions: He is repeating kindergarten, sometimes can still become overly hyper or struggle with impulse control. Comprehension is still low and i'Tourette's Syndrome like a 5 year old in a 6 year old body, with the understanding of emotions of an 18 month old. But seeing how he did not feel emotions until last year, there is a period of catching up. Oh, and ironically Power Rangers was the show that connected the last piece of imaginary play. He still struggles with self safety.

After walking this for 4 years, I can tell you it was the worse thing I have ever gone through. I would never wish this on another person, but I can also tell you, saving my son was worth it. I would do it again, over and over to save him. I believe if I hadn't fought so hard for him, he would be in the same place as he was at the age of 2. Lost.

Just.Me

We follow the Feingold diet and it has been amazingly successful for us. While we did see some positives with gluten-free, casein-free (mostly with my daughter's high need for movement) we still had frequent rage episodes, sensory processing disorder (sensory processing disorder (SPD)), ADHD and anxiety disorder diagnoses. My daughter no longer meets the criteria for any of them. I can't recommend it highly enough.
I am not a doctor so I can only say that it worked for my son. I use B-Complex #12 (by the Thorne brand), and Pantothenic Acid (by the now brand). It stopped all forms of rage. A sign of being low on vitamin B is when you take off the socks, if the socks lines stay around for more than 15 - 20 minutes. Also, there are many different forms of vitamin B and each form does something different to the body. So I do not assume that any multivitamin B will hack it. :)