Anyone have a new recipe?

susiestar

Roll With It
Has anyone out there got a new recipe? I like to bake, also love my crockpot. Looking for new recipes to share?

Here is a yummy soup recipe. It is a creamy soup, but not too heavy for the summer weather.

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>CHICKEN AND CORN SOUP</span>

3 T butter, margarine or olive oil
1/2 c minced clelery
1/2 c minced onion
3 T flour
2 c chicken broth, canned or homemade
2 c milk (any kind -skim, 2%, even half and half)
1 (16oz) can cream style corn
1 1/2 c cooked chicken, cut into bite size pieces)
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in big pan. Add onions and celery. Cook until tender, stirring constantly. Mix in the flour and cook until smooth and bubbly.

Add broth and milk, stirring constantly (may need a whisk to avoid lumps.) Reduce heat, cover, simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove lid, add corn and chicken, cook just until corn and chicken are heated through. More chicken can be added. I also like to add 1 cup supersweet frozen corn. Salt and pepper to taste.

If you are a garlic person, minced garlic can be added with the onions and celery. Or garlic powder can be added to the flour before you stir it in.

Susie

AllStressedOut

No new ones unfortunately. As soon as I grab my oatmeal scotchie recipe from the kitchen, I'll post it for you. These are a very interesting taste and one of my favorites. Thanks for the soup recipe! Sounds yummy!

Marguerite

If you're using a crockpot, why use packaged chicken stock? Also, for an Asian recipe, you need to use chicken stock made to an Asian recipe (it's easy).

I use chicken necks, they're really cheap. But I HAVE used retirees from the coop outside, especially when we have two many roosters.

I put the meat to be cooked in the crockpot, cover it with water. Toss in an onion and salt, to taste. At first it will just taste like mildly salty water.

Then, for Asian stock, I put in a handful of peppercorns (Szechuan, for choice) and a bunch of fresh coriander, plus some slices of fresh ginger root. Strong suggestion - put the peppercorns in a small bag, otherwise you'll have to strain your stock.

For European stock, leave out the Asian ingredients and instead put in a carrot, a stick of celery or the leafy ends of celery and some large stems of parsley. Again, you can use parsley stalks without the leafy bits, if you've already used the leafy bits. A few bay leaves, maybe some fresh oregano. Lemony herbs if you have them - lemon balm, lemon thyme - all good. A sprig of tarragon - you use what you have on the list, go easy on the lemon or tarragon.

Then simmer, the surface barely moving, for no more than about two hours. I know it's a crockpot, but chicken stock goes bitter if you cook it too long, even in a crockpot.
Then fish out the bits you don't want - the bones (with the meat - take the meat off the bones and use it), the ginger, the herbs etc. And make your chicken & corn soup from here.

Or, if you're cooking up old hen or rooster from the backyard, be aware it will probably be tough. Pour off the stock into small containers and freeze it, then add more water and cook up another batch. I've done this a third time (really tough old bird!) but generally the most you can do is twice.

I use the stock as is, for invalids with flu (especially the Asian stock - the ginger is great for breaking a fever); for making risotto, chicken supreme and various kinds of soup. Good stuff.

Marg

G

guest3

Hmmmm My mangerine Orange Salad is a quick and easy summer dessert:

1 box orange jello
1 box instant vanilla pudding
1 box my-t-fine or royal tapioca
3 cups water
1 jar dole mangerine oranges (strained)
one tub (regular size) coolwhip lite

Bring three cups of water to a boil in a medium pot, remove from heat and whisk in all three boxes of jello/puddings. return to medium heat and bring to a boil, keep stirring, once boiling, stir at a boil for 3 minutes remove from heat and let cool,you can put it in fridge at this point to finish at a later time. Once cool, fold in tub of cool whip and strained oranges, refrigerate for 2 - 3 hours and serve. Serves 10-15

Beats Ambrosia every time!

AllStressedOut

Still haven't pulled my oatmeal scotchie recipe, but this is a great drink for a ladies night. hehehe

Its called "The Recipe"

1 lg. can pineappe juice
12 oz. can frozen orange juice (thawed)
Small can crushed pineapple
Small jar merichino (sp?) cherries plus juice
6 small minute maid frozen lemonades (thawed)
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 of a 5th of clear rum

mix and freeze, serve like a daquiri

Yummy!