Anyone have any experience with vaping?

AppleCori

I know my younger step-son vapes, because I found an empty container in his bathroom trash a while back. I don’t know much about it, though.

Lately, I have noticed a smell—very sweet, I would describe it as a strawberry smell. That wasn’t the same flavor of the container I found, so I didn’t think about the correlation at first.

I have noticed this smell when I go past his closed bedroom door on occasion, when he is in there. The other day, I told hubby that I smelled it, and he did, too, outside the door. He went in, and his son said it was air freshener and showed him the spray can. It was Glade apples and cinnamon. Hubby said it was what he smelled. I said that it wasn’t, because the Glade was our bathroom spray, and the smell was not the same. Truthfully, hubby just doesn’t want to deal with it. He told him not to vape or any other kind of smoking in the house, and his son said he didnt, and that was that.

Well, last night I went downstairs in the middle of the night and smelled the odor strongly. Son had gotten home late from work but was in bed by that time. I didn’t mention it to hubby today yet, as he had to leave really early today and is always in ‘work mode’ in the mornings, so it’s never a good time to speak about household problems.

When I went into the downstairs powder room, I smelled the lingering scent, though. It’s still there, hours later. It’s definitely not the Glade, as the spray is cheap, and dissipates quickly.

So, does this sound like vaping, and if so, is it harmful? I have read that the long-term effects are still unknown. I originally thought it was harmless, so I am not sure.

I have to decide whether to talk to hubby about this. His son is an ongoing problem in the household, and I pick my battles wisely where he is concerned. Hubby is not happy with him about some things from when we were away and son was here alone, just recently, and lots of other stuff. I don’t want to make a big deal of this, in a way, because it will become a huge problem. I need some input before I decide.

BusynMember

I kno very little about vaping other than in my opinion it looks silly. But my grandson has a Grandma on the other side who Vapes in the car and he can't stand it, coughs, retches and gets yelled at by her for his reaction. He complains about it a lot to my son who can't stop her but is not happy that his son is around that in a car or a ywbere. I believe vaping is safer than smoking cigarettes, but don't know if it is 100 percent harmless. After all, it is smoke. Smoke is not good for our lungs.

AppleCori

I k owvery little about vaping other than in my opinion it looks silly. But my grandson has a Grandma on the other side who Vapes in the car and he can't stand it, coughs, retches and gets yelled at her for his reaction. I believe it is safer than smoking cigarettes, but don't k ow if it is 100 percent harmless. After all, it is smoke.

Does your grandson say that it has a sweet smell?

BusynMember

He told my son it is a gross smell. I will ask him if it's sweet.My son, his father, is more upset about the smoke, whether it's safe or not. There is no nicotine. I just looked up vaping for you and it says it is MUCH safer than cigarettes and cuts cancer. That if smokers turned to vaping they would be healthier. They did not say it is risk free, just much less a hazard than what cigarettes are.

Some of the kids vaped, when I worked at Applebees. Some vaped who were trying to quit smoking.

Like pot smoke, nobody knows yet what it really does to people who use it. Remember how long it took for us to figure out how bad smoking cigarettes are...almost influence everything bad that can happen to us. And yet it took years or decades to know. I don't know that I could stop any of my kids, if they still lived at home, from vaping, but I would ban bringing it into the house and make them stash it somewhere else. That's what I did the short time my older daughter smoked cigarettes, plus I threw out any she brought in the house. You can ban smoking of any kind in your house and enforce it by throwing it out. This is if you share my strong dislike of anything smoke.

Since we don't really know how it affects us yet, it is hard to think of the appropriate response to it. I would ban it simply because no smoke is allowed in my house or near my lungs, not because I know it is terrible for anyone to use. I do think my grandson's reaction shows that the smoke can affect young kids and it's best not to do it around anyone who is smoke free, especially a child......and if it makes him cough and retch, it can't be doing him any good. But he isn't used to anything smoky. Only his grandmother smokes at all in both families. So he was never around smoke at all. Which in my opinion will benefit his health long term.

Pink Elephant

I was reading an article on vaping not that log ago, and it mentioned that studies still are inconclusive as to the side-effects of such chemicals on the human body. That in itself would scare me from doing it.

AppleCori

OK, I went in step-son’s bedroom just now and looked in his night stand drawer. Normally, I wouldn’t do that, but I just had to know. He is gone to work, but could be back anytime after one.

I found a small black bottle with Just Reds written on it, and it smells exactly like the what I have been smelling.

It’s about empty.

I can’t decide whether to put it back and tell hubby to go find it, or keep it and show him.

It does contain nicotine.

Pink Elephant

OK, I went in step-son’s bedroom just now and looked in his night stand drawer. Normally, I wouldn’t do that, but I just had to know. He is gone to work, but could be back anytime after one.

I found a small black bottle with Just Reds written on it, and it smells exactly like the what I have been smelling.

It’s about empty.

I can’t decide whether to put it back and tell hubby to go find it, or keep it and show him.

It does contain nicotine.
Yep, that sounds like the stuff.

Such a shame that your dear son can't respect your wishes and keep it outside.

AppleCori

Yep, that sounds like the stuff.

Such a shame that your dear son can't respect your wishes and keep it outside.

I am so angry!

Yes, we ask very little of him.

Lots less than my 13year old daughter, actually.

He should have graduated this year, and recently revealed that he needs one more year, after pretending he was going to graduate on time. Five years for a four-year degree!

So, we said he could stay another year. Hubby was unsure, but I told him we should let him stay, so he agreed. Now I wish I hadn’t.

BusynMember

If it contains nicotine, it's not harmless.

Pink, you already smoke. Why wouldn't you try vaping? Not trying to give you a hard time, but it can't do worse than cigarettes....?? You dont have to answer. Just curious. Cigarettes are soooo harmful. The people I see smoking can not keep up with me often if they are over ten years younger than me....my husband had an awful cough too until he quit. And he always got sick with respiratory problems

Pink Elephant

I am so angry!

Yes, we ask very little of him.

Lots less than my 13year old daughter, actually.

He should have graduated this year, and recently revealed that he needs one more year, after pretending he was going to graduate on time. Five years for a four-year degree!

So, we said he could stay another year. Hubby was unsure, but I told him we should let him stay, so he agreed. Now I wish I hadn’t.
So disappointing when our kids let us down.

AppleCori

So, ladies, should I keep the bottle and show hubby tonight, or should I put it back and tell hubby to go get it?

This reminds me of the long-ago times when we had older son live with us, and he was using that k-2 stuff in the house.....

Those boys have a lot in common.....

Pink Elephant

So, ladies, should I keep the bottle and show hubby tonight, or should I put it back and tell hubby to go get it?

This reminds me of the long-ago times when we had older son live with us, and he was using that k-2 stuff in the house.....

Those boys have a lot in common.....
Boy, this is a tough one. Admitting to snooping in his room never harvests positive return, even though it's your home. I would just stand your ground and say to your son, I can smell the vaping chemicals in the house, and I'm asking you for the last time to stop using it in the home.

AppleCori

Well....I would throw it out and warn him I would check his room and throw it out any time I smelled it. But that's me.

Hubby warned him once, already.

Since he is not my son, and he is a grown man, I am not sure about whether I should reveal that I went into his room and looked in his nightstand (which is actually my night stand).

It was hard to get him to like me when hubby and I first started dating, and we have a decent relationship, now, though tenuous. He is a difficult person, personality wise, so I try to stay out of any disciplinary issues.