Anyone hear of Bio-Identical for menopause

K

Kjs

In a conversation with a doctor today, hot flashes and mood swings came up. I mentioned my hysterectomy 4 years ago. Her too. She says her doctor prescribes bio-identical and it makes her feel 1000 times better.

She said it is mixed just for you. They do blood work and check your hormone and a bunch of other words I don't remember. But it is mixed according to your own blood results.

Anyone hear of this? Would this menapause **** make me this evil person my family says I am?

Numina

Do I understand this correctly? A Doctor is offering bio-identical HRT and you didn't immediately jump at the chance?

Go for it!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Menopause:ghoul: is like monthly PMDD to the 10th power......

TAKE THE HRT.......(said in a fading ghostly voice) :ghost:

TAKE THE HRT...................oooooooooooooooooooooo:ghost:

I'm very proud of you! Glad to see you are doing things

FOR YOU

M

ML

Suzanne Sommers wrote a book about this a few years ago which I read and then immediately asked doctor to prescribe. He didn't do the compounding pharmacy, testing and tailoring though. That makes a difference. I am convinced he put me on too much estrogen because I was a mess while I was on those patches. I'm much better now that estrogen has completely left the building. It's easier to adjust when there is a steady and even level of that stuff flowing through our veins. Good luck!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I read the Suzanne Sommers book a few years ago and while the concept certainly sounds better than synthetic hormones, it is not an easy task. Bio-Identical hormone therapy is designed to match YOU and your hormonal changes. Therefore, you will have to undergo several months of blood work so they can get the doses right for each specific time of the month for you. A woman's hormones fluctuate quite a bit when she's going into perimenopause and then into menopause that they have to take weekly, sometimes twice a week, blood samples to check your levels before prescribing you the correct dosages of bio-identical hormones for you.

However, that said, it may be a different case since you've had a hysterectomy. Definitely do more research and see what the process will entail before going ahead with it. You're life is already so stressful that the last thing you need is more.

Did you DR factor in the amount of stress in your life and how that may be relating to your moody outburst and disposition with your family as well as your hormones? Because in my opinion that counts A LOT more than hormones. Hugs and best of luck.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Kjs,
You should watch or tape Oprah today. The program is suppose to be about hormone replacement. They have a lot about it on her website right now too. Believe it or not I was just reading about this last night. I'll be watching the show with interest because I've been on HRT for 24 years. I would like to try the Bio-identical stuff because I get worried about being on the regular HRT for so long-my doctor keeps telling me the risks of not taking it because I was so young when I went through my menopause outweighs the risk of taking it. I'm not so sure anymore.

susiestar

Roll With It
Go for the hormones. I use regular old estrogen pills. Not bio-identical, but VERY helpful.

You are NOT an evil person, and your family is abusing your emotionally. PLEASE seek out help for that.