Anyone live in S.C.??

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
My mother recently moved there to be closer to my brother - she is pretty much stuck in an apartment and rarely gets out - and I for the life of me cannot find any senior services, such as senior groups, transportation to and from stores (she doesn't drive anymore and can't navagate without a walker) - seems everywhere I look refers back to N.C.

So I figure I would see if anyone from here lives there locally can direct me. Doesn't seem from my reading that there are any good services for seniors, medical included. Area is Little River.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't do much from here, bro and wife work pretty much 24/7 and don't seem to have the time to find something for her to do or go.

Marcie

DammitJanet

Oh lordy...that is where my mom lived before she moved in with me.

I lived there too for several years before I moved up here in NC. I know everywoman lives about an hour from there. Let me see what I can find. Im about an hour from her myself but Im in NC too.

Honestly...if you need someone on the east coast to ever really check in on her in an emergency I would be glad to do it. I know what its like to worry about a mom.

nvts

Hi! Ran a quick search on "South Carolina Senior Services" and came up with quite a few. It seems a lot are broken down by counties/towns. A lot of the time you can get that info. from the state council on aging, also any local friendship clubs as well as from AARP and Medicare.

Hope this helps!

Beth

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Thanks - now all I gotta do is find out what county she lives in - I did a google on senior services, but perhaps I didn't page over enough..

And Janet, thanks for your offer :smile:

Between googling for my mom, and then SO's mom in Arizona - I am about googled out looking for services for the both of them..

Marcie

everywoman

Just saw this. I'll look into things. My mom also lived there before she came to live with me about 6 years ago. Myrtle Beach/Horry County has a "huge" senior citizen population. I would try to call the local council on aging.

I see you are in Cali---and I am not trying to get personal--but here in the south a lot of social activites take place around the church. I would contact a local church of her demonitaion. I know that our local churches do a tremedous amount of senior activites---out to eat, bowling, golf, movies, shows (there are tons of live shows in the area!).