Anyone try ATTEND?

Theresac

I saw a post about this on the natural remedies board. I'm wondering if anyone here has heard/or tried it?

I'm getting highly concerned about the stims and my difficult child's anorexia (4 ft. 2 in, 47 lbs), and her constant complaints about her stomach bothering her. Plus, her psychiatric. has her on daytrana patches by day, and clonidine at night, which i've recently read should not be taken 'together'.

I have an appointment. for her with her psychiatrist for a complete physical next month, and they want to do bloodwork, talk about a vitamin supplement, meet with the nutritionist, etc. I'm holding off on discussing her medications with the psychiatric until we rule out any physical causes of daily stomach upset.

If in fact (as I believe it is) related to her ADHD/ODD medications, I would love to give the homeopath route a chance.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I don't know anything about attend, but I did want to tell you that severe weight loss and stomach pain was one of the first sign's of my Oldest's Crohn's Disease. If she is having any diarrhea along with the stomach pain, you might want to ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist just to rule that out. It might not be related at ALL, and I don't know your daughter's history, but it just put off a warning bell in my head so I thought I'd mention it!

Theresac

Her stomach problems tend to be more nausea than pain, and she has a problem with constipation (which may even be related to the stims).

But, thank you for your response. I like to keep 'on top' of any potential problems for her.

donna723

You might still want to have her checked for Crohns Disease. I had never heard of young children getting this but my brothers granddaughter was recently diagnosed with it and she just turned ten! She probably had it for quite a while before she was diagnosed too because they kept testing her for other things and ruling them out one by one.

I don't know how young these symptoms can show up, but my daughter had stomach pains and nausea for years when she was a kid, and was always extremely thin. She would be hungry but then had to stop eating after a few bites because of stomach pain, followed by nausea. She ended up eventually being diagnosed with severe acid reflux and a hiatal(?) hernia, which was repaired with very minimally invasive surgery ... tiny little incisions between her ribs. Hers was originally misdiagnosed by a &%$#! local "physician" (known around here as one who is not aware of his own limitations!), which delayed things. But when she was 19 she finally went to a Gastroenterologist who diagnosed her correctly and did her surgery, and she is much, much better now.

Theresac

Thanks Donna, I'll mention this to her psychiatrist next month also.

I definitely want to rule everything out and get to the root of this! She has a hard enough 'road' ahead of her, without feeling physically ill all the time.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
My daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's at age 9. While it tends to hit more often in later adolescence, there are cases of very young children being diagnosed ( know a woman whose daughter was an infant when diagnosed). There are varying symptoms, I've known some people that had constipation instead of diarrhea. It can't hurt to ask for a referral to a GI, especially if you have any type of inflammatory bowel disease in your family history. Usually the diagnostic tests are a colonoscopy and/or an Upper GI, but obviously you don't want to put a very young child through either of those unless you absolutely have to. There are all kinds of things that can cause stomach issues/abdominal pain; it's just that the weight loss struck me because I remember it all too well!

Unfortunately I know way too much about this disease. www.ccfa.org is the site for the national organization in the U.S., FYI.

Theresac

Yes, smallwordl, she is not nauseous, and eats very well when she doesn't have the patch on. She is on the lowest dosage (10 mg).