Anyone use Bare Minerals?

witzend

Let's face it, I'm getting a little older. I have never worn makeup because my skin is very very oily and it just melts off. If it doesn't melt off, it itches. But I am also starting to get a bit of rosacea, and my hot flashes give me a wonderful red nose 20 times a day, and I would like to try something.

I have a drawer full of stuff that I don't use. I have tried most everything for the oiliness, and I can get it to calm down from time to time, but all in all it won't go away. If I use something drying with salicylic acid, for instance, I get peeling flaky skin underneath all of the oil. I also have a lot of peach fuzz on my face, so any heavier makeup or liquid makeup tends to make the fuzz stick straight up like a crew cut on my face!

I'm wondering about the Bare Minerals makeup? Or something else that's light and evens the skin tone? I'd like to use something, but I don't want it to look like all of a sudden now that I am nearing 50 I'm suddenly slapping stuff on to try to disguise my flaws. Any ideas or experience you can share for an older gal with greasy (I mean greeezzy) skin and half a beard whose never worn makeup in her life?

Jena

hi,

my friend sells this product which is amazing, i just used a sample of it my memory is soo bad lately. it's great stuff though. i'll get name later and send it on this thread.

susiestar

Roll With It
Bare minerals is WONDERFUL. I have used it for several years. I don't wear makeup terribly often, so it has lasted. I split the jars withmy mom, we each had half - hers lasted with daily use for over 6 months. So while Bare Minerals might be a bit more expensive on the start up, it really lasts, so is actually quite economical. My mom got on the QVC Sheer Cover mineral makeup, it doesn't look nearly as good, in my opinion and her MO, and getting OFF the auto shipments is very hard. She even gave some that came in the wrong color for her to me, after they wouldn't take it back. She is STILL trying to get off that auto shipment thing.

Anyway, go to Ulta or maybe Sephora and try the makeup. Having the really big fluffy kabuki brush for the mineral veil makes a real difference.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
easy child LOVES bare minerals. Loves it so much she tried to give it to Nichole and I for xmas. You can get a sample pack free from online. I can ask easy child where she got hers if you'd like. Then you can try it out for free.

I didn't want it. The cheap stuff (hahaha) does just fine for me, when I decide to wear it. Which might be more often since my skin has decided to become blotchy.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I tried this, from Ulta (I hate getting hooked into the auto shipments) and at first it was great. I developed dry skin and now the powder just kinda sinks into my wrinkles so stopped using it for a while. I would think if you have oily skin it might be a good thing for you to use..... It is expensive however, so be prepared to pay..... maybe you could save on brushes by buying some other brand......

Josie

I love it. I've been wearing it for 3 or 4 years. I like a natural look. My skin is somewhat oily and it works for me.

I use Bare Minerals and love that make-up, but my skin is so dry, and it may have a different effect on your skin. Do you have an Ulta store near you? The sales assistant will help you with everything, and put it on so you can try it, and you'll see if it works.

If you do get it, go to Sephora or Ulta (or on-line), they have kits that have everything you need, alot cheaper than purchasing everything seperately. QVC has that too, -Alyssa

goldenguru

I tried it on my middle age skin a couple years ago. I loved how it looked - natural - yet covered. However, I developed horrible acne from it. I had to stop using it. Sad - because it's not cheap.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I've had great success with L'Oreal mineral blush, topped with Bare Minerals "veil." It's just the right mix for my geezer skin.

Suz

susiestar

Roll With It
Here is a link to another brand I like. I stumbled across them online and got a sample set for about $3 a couple of years ago. It has teh same smoothness and lasting properties I like in Bare Minerals.

I have oily skin, and my mom has dry skin. The minerals work a LOT better if you put it on after a coat of moisturizer. Mom slathers Oil of Old Lady (olay, really) on, then goes to the john or wipes out the sink or some quick chore, then puts on the mineral makeup. Just a tip for those with-dry skin.

Loreal has just come out with a version, but I haven't tried any of it. I like the way the Bare Minerals blend. Same with the Everyday minerals. I can blend the eyecolor easily. The downside to the eyecolor is that you can get it all over your face if little particles fall off the brush. So whatever brand you go with, use a decent eye brush with the eyecolor, and work it into the brush well. And have qtips to wipe up the excess.

I know my mom also has had REALLY good luck with the Estee Lauder long-wearing makeup. NOT sure the exact name, but when a dept store opened up in our town we both went for the freebies and she got me a lipstick and she got herself an entire set of makeup and the cleansers. Whatever the name is, it ONLY comes off with their brand of cleanser. She learned that the hard way.

witzend

Thanks, Ladies. It's been a really busy day. There is a Bare Minerals shop in the mall, but the one about 15 miles across town. I wonder if they would do a makeover on me and let me try it for a day? Lisa, if you or Nicole (or anyone) has some sort of special deal where they get something for referring someone, let me know by PM and I will drop the name. I don't mind paying the extra money if it works, but I don't want to buy the wrong shade or something that makes me itch after a couple of hours! I would wear makeup so rarely that it would probably crust up in the jar before I used it all, so I don't want to spend a lot on something that will go to waste.

Jennifer, do let me know what it is that your friend sells. I would like to try several options and see what works best.

I think that sometime in the next week I will go check them out. Maybe after this big zit on my chin goes away... Gotta love your second puberty! At least I have the money to indulge myself (a little) now that I'm older, and if it doesn't work I have no one but myself to blame!

Marguerite

I just got back form a trip into the centre of Sydney and I've also been looking at mineral make-up. There is a bran advertised in the advertorial shows on TV but it's likely to be expensive. However, I've been looking at a whole range of different ones and I think the principle is what is going to matter. Avon have some which I've ordered, I'll let you know what I think when it arrives. I did use some as a tester today, I used it on my hand and it gave GREAT coverage over the age spots etc.

So I'd suggest you go out, find some mineral make-up (generic) and try out the testers.

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
Check out that everyday minerals sight. It used to be that you could send her a picture and she would help you find the right shades. And for just a couple of bucks you can customize your own sample pack to help find the right shade(s). With mineral makeup the neat thing is that if there is not a perfecct shade, but there are a couple of close shades you can combine them easily. (Very Easily) I really like the way the everyday minerals felt. And the prices were much better. And I LOVE anything that lets me pick my own samples, LOL!

susiestar

Roll With It
I just checked the everyday minerals sight for the prices on samples. They do have deals like 10 eyeshadow samples for $18 (their samples are HUGE - easily a great bargain), BUT they also have a sample kit for FREE - you get 3 foundations, 1 blush and 1 concealer. It is only available until 10/30 - here is the link: http://www.everydayminerals.com/ind...art&page=shop.browse&category_id=26&Itemid=40 (It is at the bottom of the page - scroll down).

I just went through the process of ordering the "frree samples", you have to pay shipping which for First Class is $3.13, a pretty fair deal to just try the stuff. You CAN order any of the makeups in 3 sizes ranging from $2.50 to $12 if you prefer to go that way and not do the samples. Just FYI. I DO have this line and it does work quite well. They have a MUCH wider range of colors than they used to.

Last edited:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I use it and so do easy child and difficult child - we all love the natural look. You can add eye color, etc, to make it more dressy, but the everyday simplicity of it is great. It used to take me a while to get my makeup just right, but with BM, it's a piece of cake, done in no time. In fact, I am out of my foundation color and am picking some up today.

**Remember to clean your brushes at least once a month or so to keep them from causing outbreaks. You can use a tiny bit of shampoo or hand soap and lots of water, swish around and then gently squeeze out and let air dry. I can tell when it's time because my face will get a bit itchy when I apply the makeup - it's time to clean the brushes. Also, I had two full kits, so I can alternate the brushes. Good stuff.