Anyone used Neurofeedback?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Stumbled onto a study for neurofeedback. The info came buried in a note from an autism family support group.

I emailed the coordinator asking what diagnosis the participants had to have. The Dr in charge of the study replied, and inquired about our situation.

He is talking about possibly taking difficult child on as a client even tho he doesn't carry an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis.

So has anyone used neurofeedback?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I think its similar except you learn to recognize activity in the brain instead of elsewhere in the body. I read some literature and there are studies where this helped people with adhd. The current study is to see if it will help kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). But he may be willing to look at wee difficult child, too.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We tried something like this for difficult child 2 over about a 3 month period. The therapist that conducted the exercises had this special program that was like a video game, and difficult child 2 had to watch the screen and try to manipulate the color of part of the game by focusing his attention and remaining calm and relaxed. It had something to do with certain brain waves being activated (sorry I'm not remembering which ones). He wore the electrodes on his scalp to record his brain activity. He did pretty well with it, and even better when his medications were working and he was stable. The goal was to get him accustom to feeling what this calm, focused, relaxed state was like so that he could do it himself in the classroom.

We may go back to that again sometime soon. Our insurance covered it, and it did seem to help the short time he was on it.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
GVC that sounds like what this guy was talking about.

I guess I'm willing to give just about anything a try. He's doing so well right now, but I am still a little pessimistic that the school will be able to handle him. Particularly if they stick him with so-so para again, and rumor was that the good one was going to the high school. I'm trying to think positive!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Neurofeedback worked well for me for anxiety, insomnia and depression. The clinician that worked on me, uses it for her own son's ADHD.

The site she referred me to, which I've shared before, is:
http://www.eeginfo.com/

Lots of good info there.

svengandhi

We did it with oldest boy in 3rd and 4th grade. He is now 19. I think it worked ok; we were able to keep him on very low dose medications for many years. My friend got her for daughter in about grade 4 and then again in grade 11; she swears by it. I wish my current insurance covered it as I'd do it again for him in a heartbeat. My son was leadpoisoned and his symptoms are ADD inattentive and slight Aspie aspects. My friend's daughter is post card ADHD.