At what age

klmno

do boys stop growing? I'm particularly referring to height and feet. My son is about 5"-10" now, the best I can guess and will be 17 next mo. Is there any chance he'll be finished by Feb.?

H

HaoZi

Is there any chance he'll be finished by Feb.?

:rofl:

Okay in theory, maybe. But they can also keep growing until 21 or so, and 19 would be a reasonable guess. I expect he's got most (maybe even all) of his height in, but he's still building bulk. Kind of like puppies, think of this phase as the second year.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl:

Silly woman.

I've known males to continue growing until around 21. Depends on the person and genes involved.

I knew when Travis stopped. His ravenous appetite suddenly ceased to exist. He still loves to eat, don't get me wrong, but nothing like when he was still growing. Thank god.

klmno

Genes? In my family, the men quit growing taller but keep eating the same amount and that's when the hips start growing. LOL!

I'm asking because of clothes- I am not one to spend a lot of money on clothes if they are going to be outgrown by the following season. It sounds like I shouldn't count on difficult child being finished any time soon.

DammitJanet

Jamie was 6 foot at 13 and then slowly grew to 6'5 at 18. He grew another 1/2 between 18 and 21. Now weight wise, it really does depend on how they eat and all that. Jamie was a skinny kid until he started adding some muscles in mid HS, then he went into the Marines at 18 and a half at 6'5" weighing 215. He came out weighing 205. He has now grown another half an inch and weighs 240-245.

ready2run

my brother was 5'5" or so until he was 18. at 18 and 19 he grew like crazy and now he is about 6'3". i also have an ex who was 6'4" when we dated and when i saw him last he was 6'7" and that was in his twenties. i'm guessing he is a slow maturing one though as he was pretty childish too...lol. i think most are pretty much done by 18 though, maybe grow an inch or two but that shouldnt make much difference for shirts and stuff. get the pants a couple inches long and hem them so if he grows you can let them out.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dude was the SHORTEST kid in his class......I mean short....like shorter than me....I'm 5'8". Okay so now he's 21. I saw him a few months ago and I got out of the truck.....and holy moses - I thought he was standing on a curb or something. He's like 6'1" or 6'2" and while he's still relatively thinish....he's FAR from filling out - that doesn't happen in their family's men until they are in their 30's. Then they get THICK....Right now he's about 180 I think. But strong as an ox. I just couldn't get over that he towers over me like he does now. Our picture - my head is under his chin...and I'm the biggest in my family - or was. And his feet? Land Yacht. I think we're talking 12.....11 1/2....depends on the style.

T

TeDo

difficult child 2 is only 13 but he's 5'10'' with size 13 feet. I realize he isn't done growing yet but holy moley! I agree with the others, males usually have one last growth spurt in their early 20's from what I've heard. In my case, I sure hope they are ALL WRONG!!!!

DammitJanet

Everyone always told me that ritalin stunted growth. I was like well if it stunted my kids growth...omg! Cory is the shortest at 6 foot even. LOL Can you even imagine what Jamie would have been if ritalin and my smoking stunted their growth!

InsaneCdn

If his FEET are still growing... then he definitely is no where close to done.
In theory, feet start first and stop first.

At 14, difficult child's feet have "stabilized"... the rest of him? well... his over-height extended family see him on a regular basis, and THEY say "hey, dude, SLOW DOWN or you'll be going through the roof".

Short-sleeve or sleeveless shirts, and shorts, are fairly safe - "loose" is in, and height shows up most on arms and legs. Pants? jackets? well... I buy ahead... by about 3 months.

klmno

oh- I think it's safe to say his feet are still growing!
thank you, ladies- I darn sure won't spend a lot of money on jeans and shoes!

Steely

Matt wore a size 15 shoe at age 16 and then slowly grew into his feet. Lol. He is 21 and still growing now at 6'3 1/2. I think your son has a long ways to go yet. :)

skeeter

when did he get his first tooth? Seriously, that's what my pediatrician always based it on. My kids didn't get teeth until they were 13 months old, and I think my 20 year old is still growing. The 14 year old topped out sometime when he was in the Navy, during his 21st year because he came home from deployment taller than when he left.

DammitJanet

Well...if you know how tall your son was at 2 years old you can figure out within an inch how tall he will be. But you need to know the height right about his second birthday. If you know that, you double it. For girls, you take the measurement at 18 months and double it.

I swear this works. It has worked on every person I have ever done it on, it worked on me, all my kids, I am predicting my grandkids and I will eat my hat if they dont come out the way I am predicting. I am predicting Keyana to be between 5'6 and 5'7. Hailie 5'5 and 5'6. Mikey is going to be 5'8 or so. We dont know about McKenzie yet of course.

Mikey is 34 inches now. I was 34 inches at 18 months and turned out to be 5'8. Keyana was 33 and a half. Hailie was 32 and a half.

We shall see!

Billy was 36 and a half inches at age two and he is now 6'2". Jamie was 38 inches at 2 and he is 6 foot 5 and a half inches. Cory was 36 inches at 2 and he is 6 foot and a hair.

DDD

Our boys reached their height about twenty or so and all are 6' plus. on the other hand, a wonderful friend in high school was the shortest boy in the class. He went to college and in one year he had shot up darn near a foot...nobody could believe it! My sister's son was fairly short and he, too, popped up around 21 into a "man" (poor thing always felt like a little kid because he was so short). Time will tell, lol. DDD

klmno

Feet, height, and the frontal lobe, too!

I don't know how either of us will survive another four years!

T

TeDo

Janet, I guess that doesn't work for everyone. I had to try it out so I got their baby books out. difficult child 2 was 34 1/2" at 2 years old (doubled would be 69") and he's ALREADY 70 1/4" tall at the age of 13.

DammitJanet

Well maybe he wont grow anymore or only grow another inch or so. Every one I have ever done it on has been within an inch or two.