Auditory Processing Disorder?-Question

H

hoobear

Hello.
I am new and I have a 10 year old son (difficult child) with AS and BiPolar (BP). I am wondering if he has Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) because he is unable to tell for example, what letter makes the "mmm" sound, yet he reads on a 5th grade level and can sound out the letters if he can see them written down. His trouble is only if you ask him audibly. Also has trouble with multiple directions, easily overwhelmed by too much noise and easily distracted. I have done some research and it seems he would need to be checked out by an audiologist. Does my description sound familiar to anyone else out there? What are the therapies for this? His IEP is coming up and I want to ask for the proper services for him.

Thanks for your time.

Holly

TPaul

Idecor8
Welcome to the board Holly,

I am pretty new here myself and I also have a son with BiPolar (BP) along with a wife that is BiPolar (BP) too. I wil soon be persuing and IEP with my son.

I will have to let someone else make comment about your question, one who has had more experience and know more than me about our difficult child conditions. I am still on a major learning curve to process and file away info on the many aspects of BiPolar (BP) in children and adults. Along with that I am trying to get a little up to speed on the other conditions that other board members children have.

Well really just wanted to welcome you to the board and encourage you to make yourself at home and feel comfortable asking any question or discussing any situation. We are all in the same boat and this board is a life preserver when our ships seem to be hitting an iceberg called life.

T. Paul

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Welcome!

You could be describing my son Jett. From the little description you've given it seems to be similar at the very least!

We're in the middle of a neuropsychologist evaluation, so Jett doesn't have a "real" diagnosis right now. We know he's dyslexic, but with help he is learning quickly. In 3rd grade, when husband and I took over residential custody, he was reading at a 1st-grade level - he's now on grade and doing pretty darn well. The again, husband, Onyxx and I all read a lot, so he's seeing us. He's not real good with syntax, and when reading aloud puts commas and periods in where they aren't. However, when reading silently it seems to make more sense to him. Sound familiar at all?

Jett's biomom (BM) had him diagnosis'd ADHD and had him put on Concerta. This simply turned him into a grade-A brat and didn't help - AT ALL. We suspect AS, but are waiting on the neuropsychologist to say - or not - Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified would be fine with us, it's still a diagnosis. Still qualifies him for services.

Can you give us a little more about your difficult child? When did you start noticing there was something different? Any major medical history, including in the family?

Again - WELCOME - HOME!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Holly--

Yes, your child will need to be tested by an audiologist and the testing will show exactly where the auditory weaknesses (if any) lie.

FWIW, I think audiology testing is one of the few tests that are not subject to bias from the testor nor open to interpretation....he will either have a diagnosis of Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) or not.

Good luck!!

--DaisyFace

Sheila

My son has Auditory Processing Disorders (APD).

There are some threads in the Archives re: Auditory Processing Disorders (APD).

Only an audiologist (preferrably with-a subspecialty in Auditory Processing Disorders (APD)) can appropriately diagnosis Auditory Processing Disorders (APD).

I'd request in writing that the school evaluate for Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). They'll most likely have a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) do the testing. You'll then need to request an IEE with-an Audiologist performing the testing.

Welcome!

JJJ

Our school sent both of my girls to an audiologist for the testing. Kanga has Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). There is a good book "Like Sound Through Water" about a child with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). While you are waiting for the evaluation reading it might give you some ideas.

H

hoobear

Thanks for your responses.:D I have spoken to the head of SPED for our district today and it doesn't sound like getting an evaluation is a problem. A little background- normal pregnancy with high blood pressure at the very end. Q was born a little "blue" and I now wonder if that had anything to do with him being on the spectrum. Anyway, "normal" baby hitting all milestones up to age 2. Slight delay in talking. "Terrible Two's" ever since (LOL). Went to regular nursery school for 2 yrs. no problems. Started to see behavior problems at home around age 3. Had a 504 plan in mainstreamed kindergarten and did beautifully. Was originally diagnosis'd as ADHD at age 5 by a pediatrician. psychiatrist and put on stimulants. Tested by a Behavioral Psycholgist and diagnosis'd as Aspergers in K. Later also diagnosis'd as BiPolar (BP) like me (both sides of the family have it). Difficult transition to first grade, where he became physically aggressive at home and at school. Changed medications and put in a "behavioral" classroom. First of 8 P-hospitalizations for aggressive/dangerous behavior. Currently in a therapeutic placement. Running of out medications to try. MI or addiction on both sides of family. Full of love but easily frustrated. Sorry this is so long. If you've stuck through this far. Thanks!
Holly