Auditory Processing Issues...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Well, whaddaya know.

A couple weeks ago, when Pat was on Spring Break, I took a day off work and we got his eyes checked and new glasses ordered, and his hearing tested. Of course, he tested fine... But I convinced the doctor to give us a referral to an audiologist.

Audiologist sent paperwork, which we sent back filled out. They said they would call as soon as they had an opening, but it would probably be 3-4 months.

They called last Friday to set him up for yesterday! Woot!

And the verdict (not in writing yet, but they are doing up a report):

Mostly normal range... Except... Processing issues consistent with learning disabilities, specifically comprehension and spelling, and being able to follow directions properly or sequentially.

Their report most likely will not qualify him for disability, which is fine as it would likely be less than he is receiving as death benefit from bio mom. BUT - it should qualify him for more services from the SD and our county!

YAY!!!

BusynMember

AnnieO, I'm glad Pat did mostly well and is not autistic, but I want to tell you that auditory and visual discrimination and processing problems also have challenges that I still face today. With auditory, which I didn't understand until recently (as it was not really studied much until now) somebody with perfectly good hearing can perhaps not understand directions given to him. I have this happen all the time so I do things wrong, but it's not on purpose and don't let any teacher tell you he is being defiant if this happens. He needs clear, one-step directions...and he may need a one-on-one rather than classroom approach when given something to do, especially if it is more than one step.

I do not know if Pat has visual processing problems as well. I have both. Visual is another ballgame...you can have a can of soda in front of you and start running around the house asking where your soda went. Your eyes can see it, but your brain is not processing it is there, ESPECIALLY if there is a lot of other stuff in the background around the soda. This is something else I struggle with. I am always losing things because I forget where I put them too and this also is not deliberate or defiance, but part of the disability, if indeed he has it. Color discrimination can be difficult, even if the child is not color blind. This just means that a faded red and an orange may look like they are both orange to him as the visual discrimination is not optimal. Also, one can have such a poor visual memory that getting around town, remembering faces, remembering what objects look like, even remembering what your own house looks like when you are not staring at it can be a challenge. I have all of that. I am praying that Pat does not.

I am glad you are getting him straightened out. He seems like a fine young man and a good brother to his darling sissy.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Nope, visual seems to be about right - no worse than I am. And your mentioning getting around town - this kid gives better directions than I do, though he cannot pronounce some street names. We have one called Lemcke. I don't know how it is supposed to be pronounced, but I call it "LEM-key". His version is "lem-sa-ka". He could be right...

The SD is refusing to do anything re the Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) without an audiologist's report (which we will have now). Because it's our word against theirs and obviously he can HEAR just fine - without distractions, of course. (Even then, it's an issue.)

justour2boys

Momto2Boys
My oldest was diagnosis with Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) (in K, then in 3rd grade) and I highly recommend the book; When the Brain Can't Hear by Teri Bellis. It is very helpful explaining and decoding Auditory Processing Disorders (APD).

http://www.amazon.com/When-Brain-Ca...477&sr=1-1&keywords=when+the+brain+can't+hear

There is another book; Like Sound Through Water, but it is a mother's account and can be a bit emotional.

My son also has an IEP (started out with a 504 plan), so if you have any questions about accommodations, please send me a message.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I adore this audiologist. He tested within normal range for almost everything - BUT - he is barely within those ranges. SO, they put IN WRITING the accomodations that we and the school should make for him. They worded it very officially so if (when) the IEP team argues or doesn't follow through, we can jump on it.

justour2boys, thanks! Pat has had an IEP since first grade (he's finishing 9th now), but it's been a battle to get real help. Our SD is just a PITA.

C

Confused

Im also glad he got tested and you have all this to document to the school! I hope everything turns out well for you all :)