Bad complexion

klmno

My complexion hoovers. I have a few little scars from teen acne and injuries, but not many and they are small. Still, my complexion is so bad but I don't know if there's anything I can do about it since I can't afford a face lift. My skin would keep completely oily and break out if I used a moisturizer. Is there anything I can do besides pile more makeup on it? I use oil-free makeup to try to minimize "the damage". I use an exfoliating wash on it about once a week to help with blemishes.

Ok, I'm going to run to the store for a few groceries and to spend a few of these $1 bills I had for difficult child while he was in detention on a lottery ticket since it's at $54 million now.

Last edited:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Can't help much with the skin advice. Have you tried using the mineral powders instead of a liquid foundation? Or what about the hydroxy acid lotions that help refinish the skin surface over time?

Good luck with the lottery ticket! :D

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
In my case, my breakouts were a sign of bigger problems.

When I stick to a diabetic diet (tho I'm not diabetic - I am actually hypoglycemic), the breakouts mostly go away.

klmno

Thank you, Sharon! The drawing is tomorrow- I'll turn the ticket in after I put my "old favorite" numbers on it- I do this about once a year. LOL!

I decided that I'm going to get some of my allergy medications tomorrow, too, even if insurance won't cover it. The dr's office called today and they are still trying to get the insurance co to approve it. This hoovers because before our policy type changed at the end of last year, this company paid for this same rx for the past 3+ years. I tried the OTC stuff and it doesn't even come close. I woke up about 4:30 this morning and my head was so stuffed up that I could not go back to sleep. I took something and then ended up sleeping from about 6:00-11:30.

Shari- I NEVER would have thought that would effect one's complexion- I'm glad you found out about it. My diet isn't too bad but sometimes I just eat what I want. This afternoon I had 2 eggs OE, a handful of MW bacon, and toast- and a glass of V8. It was yummy!! I picked up zucchini at the store in case I need a snack tonight. (Since difficult child has been gone, I eat what I want, when I want.)

gcvmom- I've never tried those products- I will have to look into them. I admit, I haven't explored much with makeup because it got so expensive. When I don't have to go somewhere except the store or PO or to get gas, I don't even put make up on anymore. (I do comb my hair and brush my teeth. LOL!!)

Jena

hey!

I have oily skin also, and now suddely my pores are visible......it's a good time NOT! I've been using neutrogena clear pore astringment, you gotta do the moisturizer to keep it good but use it at night and during the day try neutrogena spf 15 for combination skin just a little on the oil reduces a bit.

i don't use alot of make up i use pressed powder to conceal all the fun oil and i use a little stick thing for foundation just under my eyes a bit.

hope that helps. growing old is fun, huh..?

Jena

it's in a bottle its' like bluish green stuff you put it on a cotton ball. it totally cleans my face and it's oil free. burns a little at first but its' good.

you know what else they say is good. getting a pot and boiling it than putting your head over it with towle on your head. lol. i'm serious.

it's funny because past 2 mos my skin has changed so much and i've been going nuts trying to find ways to combat that, the wrinkles the pores. i'm like oh no!!!

klmno

you know what else they say is good. getting a pot and boiling it than putting your head over it with towle on your head.

Scalding the outer layer of skin off.....Uhmmmm......I never thought of that. LOL!

PS- yeah- my skin on my face seems both dry and oily. The rest of me just has dry skin.

Jena

LOL that made me laugh, no silly it opens your pores and cleans them out or something like that........

wow you gotta see the strange things i do to my face

N

Nomad

I was having break outs and my son was suffering. Today (knock on wood), our skin is clear.
Our routines have some similarities to them, but because we are very different in age...there are differences.

We found what works really well for us is the following:
Washing:
Son uses Cetaphil face wash for normal to oily skin.
I use this sometimes...only when I have an active break out.
I usually use something very gentle...and hypoallergenic.
Additionally, we both use fresh wash wash clothes each time for washing and a fresh little dry wash cloth for drying each time. I have a million wash clothes. They are easy to throw in the washing machine...no problem. I'm always using fresh clothes for washing and drying my face. Never use a towel that you've used before for washing or drying. By this I mean, make sure that they are clean. Don't try to reuse them a time or two. Only one time and then put them in the wash. Keep any hint of bacteria away from the face, etc.
Then we both use Benzaclin RX Cream.
You get it from the dermatologist.
It works wonderfully!
My son also takes extra vitamins when he has an active breakout.
He takes vitamin A and Zinc.
I also use Retin A once or twice a week. It is strong.
It stops break outs and keeps the wrinkles down..other days (most days) I use Roc Cream.
I have found the Benaclin and Retin A to be incredible with- reference to stopping breakouts and the Roc Cream (you can buy it at the drug store) really top notch for keeping my skin smooth.
Another thing you might check into is a GREEN photo matte finish to put on prior to putting on make up.
These are the products that they are selling to sort of fill in lines, etc. You put your make up on over it.
The green will cover any redness/pinkness.
Do you have a Sephora near you? Sometimes they have really good salespeople there. Also, top notch department stores sometimes have good quality people who can be of help.
Wishing you well.

Last edited:

Jena

ok retin A that's what i want. where do i get this?? i went to drug store and they had a bunch of different stuff

N

Nomad

I understand there is something you can buy over the counter that is probably weaker, but pretty good.
Check out Afirm 3x...you can get this at amazon.com. They say .6% retinol.
Retin A is a prescription...you get it from the doctor...usually the dermatologist. It is very strong and works well. I only use my prescription of this 2x a week.
Benzaclin (stops pimples) and Retin A (stops pimples, blackheads and slows the appearance of wrinkling) are both prescription medications and require a script.

Last edited:

klmno

Nomad, I know you were answering a question for someone- but thanks for this info. Isn't retin A for "older" looking skin- wrinkles and droopy bags under eyes? I'm asking because I could probably use that. LOL!

N

Nomad

Retin A helps with- pimples and blackheads as well as for wrinkles.
If you use a product like Benzaclin (antibacterial) with- the Retin A...it is deadly for pimples. They will wish they were dead. It is a KILLER combination. The wrinkle stuff is a side benefit. I get my prescription paid for by my insurance company. Why? The doctor writes it as for "adult acne." It is a treatment for ADULT ACNE. Retin A, is a treatment for ADULT ACNE, as well as a treatment for wrinkles. You can not go wrong with it (just don't over use it 'cause it is strong). It is a common misunderstanding to think that Retin A is only for wrinkles. It absolutely is NOT.
If you are 40 years old and have oily skin...Retin A is probably an ideal product for you. If you also have pimples, I would ask about the Benzaclin or something like it too (both).

N

Nomad

Let me know if this helps to explain it further:
http://acne.about.com/od/acnetreatments/a/retina.htm

The idea is that Retin A (there are varying strengths of this) is an acne treatment...wrinkle relief...side benefit and a good one too! :D

"Retin-A (tretinoin) is a powerful acne treatment medication, derived from vitamin A. It can be used to treat mild to moderately severe acne, and is especially effective for those with comedonal acne (many blackheads and whiteheads). Retin-A is available in cream or gel form, by prescription only and is also known as Retin-A Micro, Avita, Renova, and generic tretinoin." From about.com dermatological website

It is powerful, so a weaker soap is sometimes used with this. I sometimes use Basis or something similar. If I break out a little (rarely anymore), I use Cetaphil for normal to oily skin. All this sounds a little complicated, but with-o sounding conceited, it has really paid off for me...folks compliment me on my skin all the time now.

Last edited:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
When our bodies are breaking out or if we develop a pain in a particular joint or if we suddenly have upset stomach or constipation or diarrhea or bloating that lasts for a while, or, in some cases, for our entire lives so far...it is generally a sign that your body is trying to get rid of a particular toxin that you are ingesting on a regular basis.

Most of us will go through life never knowing that we're allergic to any particular foods because we don't break out in hives or our tongues don't balloon up or cause us to have trouble breathing. Those symptoms will make us stop in our tracks and take a look at what is causing these problems. But the milder, seemingly insignificant symptoms of an allergic reaction such as those described in my first paragraph would not really make us stop and look at our daily diet.

I'm sure you're eating healthy enough - that's not the issue. What is the issue is perhaps the combinations of foods that you're eating...or it could be a specific food that is causing the acne. It could be cause by hormonal changes. I know there are some so called 'experts' who claim diet has nothing to do with acne, but clearly, with all the research that has been done, they are mistaken.

Along with a good cleansing system such as Clinique 3-step for acne OR ProActiv acne skin care kit (You can get a starter kit for about $25), I think detoxifying your body by cutting out certain foods that are known to cause skin allergies such as meats and dairy. Another thing you could do before you change your diet altogether is to do a full body cleanse - clear out all those toxins by doing a 7-day cleanse and eating extremely light foods such as salads and soups. Seriously, it works. A whole body cleanse is not just about cleaning out your colon - it's about cleaning out all your organs so they can process what you ingest and function better. I strongly urge you to explore some cleansing programs out there, in particular The Lemonade Diet. Don't be fooled by the name - it's more about getting a full body cleaning than about dieting (the weight loss is just an aside for some people).

Also, drinking clean water is No. 1 in caring for your skin. Are you drinking enough water?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Sorry, just now getting back to this...in my case, my C1A's and pro-insulins and a couple other things that I don't recall what are skyrocket in response to sugar. According to my Dr., abdominal fat (I don't have a lot, but I have a little "extra skin"), breakouts, hyper-pigmentation, and a bunch of other little things that I never would have dreamed of, tipped him off. In fact, I was skeptical, but I stuck to a mainly diabetic diet under 80-90 carbs, and my skin got and stayed be perfectly clear. That is, til I got mono and started eating crummy again.

trinityroyal

There's definitely something to the allergies / breakouts connection.
Looking into a dietary change might be a good long term solution.

In the meantime, be gentle with your face. Trying too many products, scrubbing too hard, putting on a lot of makeup all might irritate your skin and exacerbate the breakouts.

Nomad's recommendation about the clean wash cloth every time is a good one.
My Step-D, who has very oily skin and acne scars swears by spectro-gel. And she hasn't been having breakout problems since she started using it.

As for the moisturizer, try to look for something that's made for sensitive skin. Usually oil free, scent free and very mild. Don't have a specific product to recommend here, because I'm still looking for a moisturizer that doesn't give me a rash. If I find the magic one, I'll post about it.

And, good luck with the lottery!

Trinity

eekysign

This is all with total respect, just playing Devil's Advocate: I've never seen any legitimate, peer-reviewed studies that support colon cleansing, or warn of the dangers of "toxins" in the body. I've seen these things discussed online, but never seen anything other than anecdotal proof. In fact, wiser people than I usually discourage doing them:

1.) WebMD on "cleanses" - http://www.webmd.com/diet/lemonade-master-cleanse-diet
2.) WebMD on the dangers of "detox diets" - http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/demystifying-detox-diets
3.) doctor's blog discussing the dangers of the Lemonade Diet - http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/...-you-can-use/master-cleanse-diet-master-scam/
4.) A more neutral article from about.com that lists some of the dangers of the Lemonade Diet - http://altmedicine.about.com/od/mastercleansediet/p/mastercleanse.htm

I'm not trying to say your personal experiences are wrong, just that they may not be as safe, or good for you, as the commercials/celebrities make it sound. My mildly eating-disordered roommate does things like the Lemonade Diet to lose weight, a few times a year. She insists they make her feel great, they clear up her skin (she doesn't HAVE skin issues, just a pimple here and there!)----but she doesn't notice the number of times she nearly falls over while she's on the 10 day mostly-liquid/liquid fast. She doesn't hear how INSANE she sounds when she talks to us at night, when she's totally run out of brain power. Does she lose weight? Sure. According to the articles I posted above, she's only getting something like 650-700 calories a day on them.

I guess I'm just saying be really careful. And with as much stress and mental energy-depleting situations klmno is under right now, a "detox" could be the worst possible idea right now. Has anyone mentioned yet that STRESS alone can cause breakouts? Even the articles I saw that said, "Meh, try it if you want, it probably won't kill you, just don't do it for long" also joked that you shouldn't try it if you planned on driving heavy machinery. Hehe.

Just my two cents. ;)