Bee sting question

Wiped Out

Staff member
Saturday I was stung on my ear by a bee-ouch! I'm not allergic-have been stung a couple of times before.

The others times it's hurt for about a day and then been fine.

My ear is still red and warm to the touch and according to easy child/difficult child swollen as well. It's also itchy which I think is normal.

My question:

How long should something like this last? Just curious because I haven't had bee sting pain last before.

tiredmommy

It could be because parts of the ear have less blood flow. Inflammation could be behind the pain... you may want to consider popping a benadryl to bring down any associated swelling.

I think the benadryl is a good idea to stop that histamine reaction.

That dang bee -- ouch is right! The ear sounds like a painful and disconcerting place to be stung.

witzend

I stepped on a bee a couple of summers ago and was totally shocked by how much it hurt! That's what 40 years of absence will do for you. Are you certain that the stinger is not still in there?

donna723

I second the benadryl suggestion. Are you sure it was a regular honey bee? There's some things that hurt worse and hurt longer than bee stings. A few years ago I was mowing the lawn and stirred up a nest of nasty little hornets or yellow jackets. They came flying up out of a little hole in the ground and I was stung about eight times on my feet and legs. Thought I was gonna die!

Lothlorien

~~Shiver~~ I'm allergic to them. The last time I was stung it was by a big furry bee on my finger and even though I knocked it off, the sting seemed to go on and on.

Apple cider vinegar is supposed to help. A paste of baking soda is supposed to also.