Birds in spring time

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ok...it's now very warm in Vegas. Birds are flocking in. About every hour I have a bird hit onen of our windows. (It's sad as they literally leave an imprint of their body.) They don't die, they just get up and fly away.

Yesterday, a large black bird broke a window. He survived, but the window did not.

I have tried everything to detour them. I have stickers on the windows...keep the shades shut, but they still keep coming. As I am typing there have been at least a dozen hits. Mornings seem to be the worst. It was odd at first, but now it's just down right annoying. Maybe I need a cat.

Abbey

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Abbey,

I'm an avid bird watcher & have created a bit of a bird sanctuary in my back yard. I love watching my birds AND I have 5 big windows in my kitchen.

So......

I have wind chimes hung in front of the windows; that seems to help. Addtionally, I put up wind catchers that distract the birds from my windows.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13244

I have these decals in my kitchen windows & only had 2 bird strikes last year.

Wish I could help more.

Abbey

Spork Queen
That is a great idea. We love birds, and have all types from finches to HUGE black birds. I just hate to see them crash into the window, which we have many.

I'll give it a shot.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
Just checked out the site and ordered. I don't know what the attraction is, but they LOVE these windows. Never had this problem before.

We do provide feeders...maybe that is it.

I'm trying the UV stickers.

Abbey

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Abbey, I hope the decals work for you.

That website is by favorite for ordering supplies for my backyard wildlife. I even gave up fighting the squirrels & have squirrel feeders - those also attract some pretty cool birds like cardinals, blue jays & some of the bigger birds

AND we have a squirrel we kind of adopted & watch out for. He's an albino & kt named him Snowball. He hangs around our yard quite a bit.

husband thinks I'm a bit crazy because I want to order this dog version of a septic system to help with lawn maintenance.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+18+570&pcatid=570

I love this site - should probable be banned from use in the near future.

Good luck with the decals. Don't forget a birdbath or two for your bird feeding area - draws more birds.

Abbey

Spork Queen
We used to have a lot of squirrels and racoons when I lived in Florida. We had the best 'toys' for them. Probably the best was the spinning corn cob wheel. We had a racoon that came around daily...named him Rocky. He could fit his big belly into our bird house to eat their food. He LOVED it when we gave him any kind of fruit.

I love having the critters around, just hate seeing them fly into my windows. It can't feel good. Looking forward to the decals!!

Abbey