Brand new here :-)

C

cboz

We too are at our wit's end. Our 7-1/2 year old son is destroying us. Two years ago he was diagnosed with ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and depression. Although we have now ruled out the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), there is definitely something else going on (Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), ODD?). Later this month he's getting his first all-day psychological evaluation.

For 2 years, his anger and impulsivity were controlled pretty well on Concerta & Prozac, but those medications finally wore out their welcome in October. Life's been hell ever since trying to find the new "magic cocktail".

Anyway, I'm excited to read your posts and finally, FINALLY feel like I have other parents who understand.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Welcome! This is really a wonderful community of support for parents such as yourself who are dealing with challenging children.

Glad to hear your son is going to have a complete evaluation soon. That should go a long way towards helping you decide what the next step in his treatment should be. It's likely his diagnosis will change, in part due to the information provided by the evaluation, and possibly just with time as symptoms become more apparent (puberty has a habit of throwing a wrench in the workds). Part of the challenge in diagnosing children is the fact that their brains are constantly changing as they grow. It's like trying to hit a moving target and one of the reasons it can take so long to find that "magic cocktail" and achieve stability.

To give you an idea of what some of us go through, this past year has been the most stable for my 14yo, and we have been in treatment since he was 5. It's definitely been a long journey, and I have the people on this board to thank for helping me through it!

H

HaoZi

Mine is getting her first visit with a neuropsychologist this month, too. I presume the first visit is more of a consultation and info gathering type of thing.

T

TeDo

I am sooo glad you found us. I, too, have found wonderful advice and great strength here. There isn't a situation that has ever come up that others here have not been through. Good luck with the evaluation. Signs of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) are also some of the symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and ODD so don't be surprised. My difficult child has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, and Anxiety. The more I read here and research Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), it makes total sense to me that his ODD and Anxiety are actually his reactions to situations that are because of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). We are working on LEARNING the skills he is lacking.

The only advice I have is to be patient and keep notes on behaviors, precursors, reactions, etc so you have more information for the professionals to get a true picture of your son. I would also highly recommend Ross Greene's book "The Explosive Child". Everyone here recommended it and it's one of the most helpful resource and "bible" I have read.

Again, welcome to the family.