Can problem solving be learned?

aeroeng

Mom of Three
Marguerite,

Thanks for the input, and you are correct in that there are as many different types of dyslexia as there are dyslexics. I'll add poor tracking to the list, but for me it could not be the whole story. My dyslexia is clearly not a "in the eyes" thing; it is a language processing issue. One (of many) of my symptoms is extreme difficulty in memorizing how to spell words. If you give me a list of 10 words I cannot spell each between 4 and 8 letters long and a week to learn them. I will write each one down 50 times three of four times a day. By the end of the week I will have written each one over a thousand times. Then if you give me the spelling test I will correctly spell about 60%. Which is tremendous progress from when I graduated college (10% correct then). Or In high school (none spelled correctly but you could tell what I was trying to write) or elementary school (Not one letter correct in even simple words like "it", "is" or "at"). I don't think the rolling ball will help that.

I do experience extreme directional confusions (technically not a part of dyslexia, but common amug us). I believe it is because I do not associate directionally to things around me. Example: A doll house is in front of us. You might tell me the chimneys on the right side of the house. I say OK chimney on the right. Then if we walk around to the back side of the house you would say not the chimney is on the left side. I would say," hay hold on that chimney never moved it is still right where it was before on the right". Show me a mirror image, different directions. Nope to me the chimney is still on the right. I just don't naturally associate the orientation of the doll house to myself. Now because I don't have that connection I am free to manipulate items in my mind. This has lead to developing skills which I find easer then non-dyslexics. I took to flying on instruments very quickly, operating remote robotic arms – no practice needed. I can imagine a dress in my head and unfold the patter and draw the pattern down. And many more. Now my son's academic therapist and I disagree. He feels that some of my directional confusion has resulted from the fact that sometimes I write things backwards or upside down. He suggests I stop that. I feel that, no the directional disconnect came first and the ability to write backwards is a benefit, one I don't want taken away. He has long since stopped trying to change me.

Fran,

Thanks! Someone else also gave me a catalog designed for teachers of disabled students. It has about 4 or 5 different books that also organize social and anger management skills. I'll have to look into it. And yes the student would need to want to learn – that is a problem. But it might not hurt me to learn more as well.

Marguerite

That exercise can help directionality too, because it programs the brain to always try to track in THAT direction only. It doesn't name the directions. If you need to, tell yourself to roll the ball from the hand with the wristwatch, to the other hand.

I used to remember left from right, based on our seating position at the dinner table. Because I was the youngest I was sat next to my father (on my right side, where the knife and dessert spoon went) who was a very strict disciplinarian and I was scared of him. Maybe that's why I became a lefthander!

Marg