Can't remember who posted about bathroom problems yesterday or so....

DDD

I answered a post from a Mom who's son delayed going to the bathroom on a regular basis. In my response I mentioned that I gave difficult child OTC pills that helped alot but I couldn't remember the name. (Hmmm....am I getting forgetful??)

Just saw a commercial for it so I'm sharing before I, lol, forget. It is Dulcolax. I think it adds fluid to the system to expedite movements and prevent dense bowels. We didn't have to call the plumber once he started taking them! Back to work. DDD

H

HaoZi

Colace is a great help, too. It's a softener, not a laxative, but it helps. Generic version is pretty cheap.

TerryJ2

Well, we tried those but difficult child was suspicious of everything he drank and would throw it out.
So today, we got a new toilet installed. A Toto.
If it clogs, I can only assume that difficult child threw his science teacher down there.

Marguerite

It was Snowenne who has this problem (among others) with her son. Snowenne, it's a pity we can't develop a computer game about pooping!

Marg

TerryJ2

Marg, I suspect one of our difficult children will develop that game if it's not already on the shelves within a yr or 2 ... ;)

keista

Marg, You are BRILLIANT!

I asked the kids if they knew of any such game (thought there was one, but there IS one about the H1N1 virus to inspire kids to wash hands and stay germ free) The closest they came up with is called Potty Racers.

Basic game animations where you race an outhouse. Not exactly the right concept, but the outhouse/car blows little brown turds as exhaust.

H

HaoZi

I'm pretty sure there are some. I think Kiddo has mentioned something.

susiestar

Roll With It
I know that Japan has introduced a urinal that has video games, including one where the wind blows up a girl's skirt. The wind is controlled by the person urinating. Haven't heard of the other games.

Snowenne

Yes that was me...thanks for letting me know I will check it out. I know when I mentioned to the dr about this he told me about another laxative that would draw out the moisture from his body and soften his poo...Then when I went to get it in the pharmacy they told me it didnt do that...ugh...so I will try that.
As for the game, I can see if he will play but I think he will catch on to what we are doing ><

DDD

Snoweene, sorry I couldn't remember who you were. This product is not a laxative. Over the years I have always been hesitant about laxatives because they can be forceful. The product I mentioned and I think the Colace are both non violent ways to make it easier to pass normally. I've never used Colace but I know it is a standard medication in nursing homes where the lack of activity can cause the elderly or infirmed to get constipated. Don't know the difference in method between the two but it's worth a try. DDD

seriously

Once constipation has become chronic, it requires treatment for at least several months to a year. That's because large stools stretch out the lower colon and rectum which then stay stretched out even after stool has been passed. Sensing when you need to go happens because of signals from stretch receptors in the colon and rectum. Once the colon is stretched out, those don't work as well so the constipation continues to worsen. This cycle has to be broken and the colon/rectum will return to the correct size/shape over time but it can take up to a year.

My son's pediatric gastroenterologist prefers we use Miralax (polyethelene glycol or PEG).

It works by increasing the amount of water in the colon and by making the stool slippery so it moves through the intestines more easily and quickly.

It is safe to use multiple doses a day and for extended periods of time (a year for example). It is colorless, odorless and tasteless to the vast majority of people so you can mix it into plain water or juice and after 20 or 30 seconds you won't be able to tell it's there. My son has sensory issues and he says he can tell that the fluid has a tiny change in texture but otherwise no change.

If the Miralax causes mild diarrhea or leaking, decrease the dose a little and/or add a bulking agent like Benefiber (small amount) which will help absorb any excess fluid and stop the leaking.

Treatment of last resort is mineral oil. Miralax is much more appealing let me tell you.

Dietary changes are also very helpful in managing chronic constipation.

The simplest thing is to add specific fruits/juices to the diet and most kids will never know the reason why:

Apple, pear or apricot juice - 8 oz/day
Pears, cherries and apricots - raw or cooked

It's also helpful to avoid constipating foods:

applesauce
cheese
low/no fiber breads/grains
dried fruit

My son had severe problems with constipation as an early symptom of Crohn's Disease. This is an unusual presentation for Crohn's and his diagnosis was delayed for almost a year while his doctor insisted it was "just" constipation - even after he started having bloody stools. If your son's constipation continues for a long time or his growth is delayed or he starts having other symptoms like fatigue or blood in stools be sure to go back to his doctor for further investigation.

keista

I"m seconding Seriously's advice.

Talked to BFF today who's potty training son doesn't want to poo either. At least 3x he's waited a week or longer and had the painful "explosion" 2 other times waited 4-5 days and as she describes it "given birth" The rest are 3-4 day stints. Her Dr recommended Miralax. Label only gives dosing for ages 17 and up, Her Dr gave a low starting dose, and said to up it until it worked, then she had to lower it because it worked to well. She now is giving her son a stable daily dose. Label also warns usage for only 7 days. Dr said give as long as needed to keep stable. Like Seriously said, it can take a year to get the body parts back into normal size and shape and "with the program" BFF Swears by this and although the juices and fiber are essential to healthy diet, and should be part of the diet anyway, that alone is not going to fix things. She's had to listen to everyone's 'advice' on this issue and is sick of "those that have no clue"

seriously

Another sometimes necessary step is to establish a toilet schedule to help re-train the child/bowel to go when normal bodily processes are working to help this process.

The gut starts moving food through it when you are eating and most people have BM's within 20 minutes of eating a meal.

So you should also have your child "sit" on the toilet, whether he feels like he needs to go or not, for at least 10 minutes after he eats a meal. You can use a star chart or special toy/book that he only gets when sitting to help with this. I realize this may not be helpful or practical with difficult child's but they sometimes surprise us.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Polyethylene glycol. Used to be an ingredient in Dr Pepper. ***I think*** this is multiple antifreeze (ethylene glycol) molecules? Eek.

No wonder I never have those issues...

Oatmeal is a wonderful source of fiber. I love the stuff. With sugar and butter, of course. LOL!

Marguerite

Oatmeal is good. So is psyllium. And I am allergic to both. So are other people. Very annoying when manufacturers take my favourite breakfast cereal out of the market so they can add extra psyllium or oats! I rang the manufacturer and whined at them loudly.

I don't think fibre alone will help here anyway, but if you want a method for cooking brown rice in the microwave using absorption method, it puts A LOT of soluble fibre back in the diet that would otherwise go down the sink if you use rapid boil method on the brown rice.

Maybe a multi-pronged approach?

Marg

Snowenne

Yes, we have tried colace and he still fights it...So been busy trying to get him into the kids hospital. Its a drive but I dont care. It doesnt help that he barely gets any fibre in his diet. He has a big sensory to smell/taste and his diet is extremly limited (Occupational Therapist (OT) is gonna try to work on expanding it) Plus hes catching on to certain things we are doing to try to help him. He will not take any drinks I make because hes afraid the laxatives are in there. Hes starting to barely eat because he knows that the more you eat the more your gonna need to poo. So regardless we are taking him in. Tired of the run arounds with doctors. I will take him to sick kids hospital regardless. This is serious and trust me I know. But how do you get him to understand the importance of it?