Checking In

On_Call

Hi everyone! I felt like the forum change emails were my reminder to come on the site again and post an update.

I have been on here on a very limited basis for several months now as {knocking on wood} difficult child has had a bit of an upswing in behavior.

In October, I was called to the school for a horrible but typical outburst at the new school. Nothing new, but discouraging to say the least (although there was no police presence, so that was an improvement). Aide informed me it was the worst outburst she had witnessed in 20+ years (thanks for that), etc. - difficult child was suspended for two days. This school's CSE chair called me to say she got the report and was worried about me - wanted to suggest I open a PINS case, etc. Principal is long-time friends with difficult child's karate master, so he called him and filled him in. He called me immediately and said there would be consequences for difficult child at karate, as well.

I felt like I had been sucker punched by everyone in our circle.

The consequences for karate were sitting out in the back for 4 weeks - keeping a journal - and reading several martial arts books. Each week, I took difficult child and we sat in the back for 90 minutes (fun, fun, fun) and watched.

Long story short (too late, I know) - difficult child seems to have turned things around for himself. I don't know what made him do it - could be karate? Don't know, but since that episode, we have had no major issues at school or at home. It's weird, almost. He has made the high honor roll each marking period so far this year and even is playing on the 6th grade basketball team (and not doing terribly for an extreme beginner) and making friends to boot. He has since tested for his yellow belt in karate - and got it! He has been chosen to play a violin solo for a state judging competition.

Of course, there is constant work, but it's going well. He has his ups and downs, but now there are more in the "typical range" than ever before. He has started to mock me when I talk to him, which almost makes me laught because although it is rude, it is such a typical, expected thing that I can almost appreciate it! I am sure the shine will wear off that for me soon! lol.

I know that I cannot become used to this fairly bumpless road- or something will painfully jolt me out of the cocoon, but we are enjoying it and I wanted to take a few minutes and share it with those of you who have virtually "taken the rides" to school with me through this site - police sirens blaring all the way!

Thanks for listening!! :D

F

flutterbee

Nice to see you!

It sounds like things are going very well for difficult child. I'm sooo glad to hear that. It's been a long time coming.

tiredmommy

Jamie- I'm glad things are going well for you and difficult child. Maybe he needed consequences in all areas of his life in order to pull himself together. It could be a small blessing. I hope this is a real turning point for difficult child and he continues to trend upward from now on.

smallworld

Jamie, welcome back! Thanks for sharing your positive update. I see your difficult child's diagnosis has changed -- no more bipolar? My son just completed 5 weeks in a day treatment program in a local psychiatric hospital and we are most definitely in the BiPolar (BP) camp (two mood stabilizers and an atypical antipsychotic are finally making a difference!).

Hope the good stuff continues.

M

ML

So glad to hear that you've had some good stuff going on there. I just wanted to extend a cyger high 5 to you xo Michele

On_Call

Thanks all for your posts! We are pretty happy with the way things are going - for now, anyway! lol

In the spring when difficult child was admitted to phospital, his lithium level was high and affecting his thyroid functions. He was taken off on an emergency basis and then his psychiatrist and I decided to keep him off to see if it would make any difference. There was no difference. Then, I wanted to see if we could withdraw the seroquel too, while he was in the safest place possible. I wanted to know if the medications were doing any good for difficult child. There was absolutely no difference at all in his mood and/or behavior. He was in psychiatric hospital for 30 days - he is now on welbutrin and this is the best we have seen him - ever.

His psychiatrist (whom took difficult child on from old psychiatrist) said she never 100% believed the BiPolar (BP) diagnosis given by old psychiatrist. As we all know, I might be adding it back to the signature in the future, but for now I have removed it.

I wonder if we will ever not be living "waiting for the other shoe to drop", but I guess we are just thankful for the days with no severe meltdown.

Thanks again!