Chronicle of A Failed Suicide Attempt

wisernow

wisernow
"The brain MRI was normal".....what wonderful wonderful news. He may need weeks/months to recover, but it does sound like that prognosis is much more optimistic. He has youth on his side. My nephew at age 28 suffered a major aneurysm (not by drugs though). He was in a coma for several weeks and then rehab for months. Three years later he is almost back to where he was and is doing presentations to help other brain injured people. I tell you this story because it contains HOPE...there were many times the family was told he would not pull through, or that there would be major damage...but he made it. I sense there are more chapters to be written in your son's case. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family. Stay strong, be kind to yourselves, and celebrate the small victories! Hugs!

HMBgal

One thing that resonated with me about what is happening is that your YS was not the "identified patient" of the family. We have a similar situation here. Older grandson just sucks all the air out of the room, energy out of us, and we are in a constant state of stress. His younger sister doesn't demand any attention, is doing great in school, has friends, but lots of aches and pains (growing pains? looking for attention?). Your situation is reiterating to me that this little girl who doesn't demand any attention may indeed need it and not to assume all is well just because she isn't demanding attention.

I dearly hope that YS will come out of this. The paralytics (Fentanyl by chance?) and drugs to induce coma are crazy and hopefully as they clear his system, the news won't be dire to his functional capacity. Hugs, hugs, and more hugs for all of you.

BloodiedButUnbowed

Beautiful friends,

My wife just called. YS woke up and said :censored2: you to his nurse.

We are so grateful.

More news as I have it but this one could not wait!

And yes he was on monster doses of both Fentanyl and Versed, about both of which I have heard horror stories.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Beautiful friends,

My wife just called. YS woke up and said :censored2: you to his nurse.

We are so grateful.

More news as I have it but this one could not wait!

And yes he was on monster doses of both Fentanyl and Versed, about both of which I have heard horror stories.
When used for medicisnal purposes they do not lead to issues with addiction. They are very necesssry to keep all of the life support working properly.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
Such amazing news all the way around. I was very worried about the aspiration and the king status. He has truly passed theough a terrible time and has turned a corner.
Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery and healing from this frightening experience.

BloodiedButUnbowed

So my wife is at the hospital now. I will be stopping by this afternoon and then going on to a party this evening for my sister and niece. I have not seen my family in some time and this visit will be a welcome relief. My wife doesn't feel like she's ready to see anyone, but she is supportive of my going.

Wife told me that when she arrived this morning, her mother (my Monster In Law) was with him and that he asked her, "Why are you here?"

He then told my wife that he couldn't move.

It is still unclear if he recognizes any of us, but he is becoming more aware of his surroundings. He is able to speak and apparently, to see and hear. These are all great blessings. He has made such improvement from even a couple of days ago. He is a fighter.

Our thoughts will now turn toward his physical, cognitive, and emotional rehab. His leg will cause him a great deal of grief, potentially chronic pain and disability. He will have to come to terms with that.

More updates as I have them and as always, thank you all.

BloodiedButUnbowed

My wife is very stoic by nature so she is acting all bulletproof. She has moments of emotion alone with me but never in front of others. Now that YS is stabilizing and is assured of physical survival, I've been taking more and more time away from it all so I can take care of her when she collapses. I know her well enough to know that the full impact of this event has not hit her yet.

His father was emotional when things were more touch and go, he has reverted back to his standard "everything's fine, let's not make a big deal of it" demeanor. That is my big concern, that YS' survival relatively intact will encourage this type of thinking and lead to a repeat performance at some point down the line.

YS may be upset that his attempt failed - many attempters are. If he is not carefully monitored he may try again.

pasajes4

I pray that he does not recover and feel "cheated" that his attempt failed. He has overcome so much physically and that will take a great deal of rehab. His mental state might be an even longer and slower process.

I am praying for all those in his life for the strength they will need during his recovery process. Prayers for his continued progress.

Sam3

What a saga. Your strength and perspective are amazing. Whatever happens, he is lucky today to have another chance to begin to heal his soul with the support of his loved ones.

Copabanana

What I meant to ask is this--how is d s s comporting himself through this? (Auto correct inserted competing. Which is interesting. Then it put importing. I did not catch it. Sorry.)

I think I agree with you. That there may be a family dynamic where younger son stuffs his voice and then feels desperate and angry and cornered when he feels in dire straits. Not that nobody is there for him but that he does not have the emotional muscle in place to give voice to his needs. He has muzzled himself in the service of the family status quo. And it has become who he is.

I very much relate to this. While I am 4x his age, I realized that only one time in my life as an adult did I speak up for myself to my mother.

And then I blamed myself for her death. Only now. Am I understanding, this self blame is related to voice. I did not believe I deserved a voice.As I become aware of my real self, in moments I feel a rage that I must have all these years turned against myself.

You will be the best friend this child will ever have in the coming months to prevail that the family as a whole, heal. Which means each of us I think have voice, safety, restraint and responsibility.

I am only now becoming aware of this in my own life.

I do not think his emotional recovery need be that arduous--if the family as a whole becomes the unit of focus.

I am so grateful for you and your family that he has turned a corner.

Last edited: