Commentary by emerging difficult child - how seriously do you take it?

whatamess

Okay, my 5-soon to be 6- year old son who is going to be evaulated by the district in September and who is seeing a therapist (only twice so far with a month long break due to illness and vacations) is affected by his older brother (Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)). They have a very poor relationship and little difficult child's self-esteem has taken big hits after being told daily by older difficult child that he is too little to do things, won't ever ____ (accomplish some task), etc. I have caught older difficult child saying he wishes little difficult child wasn't ever born. So, now little difficult child has started saying things like "I wish I was never born", "I wish I would die", "I wish I would drown". None of my other kids have ever said anything like this about themselves. I do attribute the awareness of the thought to older difficult child, but the fact that little difficult child is reapeating it about himself is disturbing me.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I also agree on the family counseling: the little one needs help processing all he's dealing with in the context of the family environment. It is NOT normal for kids so young to wish they were dead or had never been born.