Computer Guru Question

susiestar

Roll With It
I hope one of you, or one of your kids can help me. Every single time my computer restarts I get an alert asking if I want to allow a file called ju-check.exe to do something on my hard drive.

I am fine with allowing Sun or Adobe or some other company I have heard of to do whatever they do. I have NOT asked husband because I am not really interested in what they do. If I ask husband then I have to listen to his 30 min explanation that winds up with "it might be ok or it might be a problem. We won't know until you allow it."

I am just not very comfortable with that.

So does anyone know what this ju-check.exe file is and if it is safe to allow it?

Thanks.

trinityroyal

Susie, I have copied and pasted a description of the file below (from Filenet.org) . Apparently it is safe in most cases, however this file can also be used to disguise a virus or trojan. You need to look at where the file is stored on your computer, and confirm that the file size matches one of the sizes listed in the description below.

Hope this helps,
Trinity

jucheck.exe file information
The process UpdateChecker Module or Java(TM) Update Checker belongs to the software UpdateChecker Module or Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update or jucheck.exe or Java Advanced Imaging or Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U or Adobe AIR by Sun Microsystems, Inc (www.sun.com).
Description: File jucheck.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files". Known file sizes on Windows XP are 241,775 bytes (59% of all occurrence), 241,777 bytes, 241,772 bytes, 329,104 bytes, 237,679 bytes, 251,648 bytes, 386,480 bytes, 382,384 bytes, 272,024 bytes, 325,008 bytes, 386,872 bytes.
There is an icon for this program on the taskbar next to the clock. File jucheck.exe is not a Windows core file. The application uses ports to connect to LAN or Internet. Therefore the technical security rating is 29% dangerous, however also read the users reviews.
Recommended: Identify jucheck.exe related errors
If jucheck.exe is located in a subfolder of C:\Windows\System32 then the security rating is 94% dangerous. File size is 76,288 bytes. There is no information about the maker of the file. The program is not visible. It is an unknown file in the Windows folder. File jucheck.exe is not a Windows system file. The program listens for or sends data on open ports to LAN or Internet. jucheck.exe is able to hide itself, monitor applications, manipulate other programs.
Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as jucheck.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the jucheck.exe process on your easy child whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and easy child World.