Computer Guru's

flutterby

Fly away!
I have a Windows Security Alert in my taskbar that won't go away that reads: CA Anti-Virus (my virus software) reports that it may be out of date.

My CA products automatically update several times a day, but I tried to manually update anyway and it says there are no updates available. However, that security alert won't go away.

Any ideas?

Abbey

Spork Queen
That annoying darn thing. I have it too on any computer I've had. I don't even use the stupid program but you can't delete it. No advice here.

Abbey

busywend

Yes. I had that a few weeks ago. I downloaded a free anti-virus called...Oh geesh....I can't remember exactly what it was. I will check tonight and post again. If I remember! LOL!

Seriously, I had about 13 viruses when I had that message coming up. Be careful and don't sign on to any internet banking or anything else like that.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It's AVG which is a good antivirus application. Be VERY wary of all the free 'spyware' checkers that promise to speed up your computer.

They actually are mal-ware trying to get access to your system in order to load spyware and virii on it.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I use AVG, the free one and Spybot against pop ups. I had a warning on virus update and all I did was empty the "vault". So you might check your temporary files or if you have a vault on your virus protector empty that. I am assuming you have a pop up blocker, but if you don't I would install one, that is how many viruses work their way in, when you accidently click on pop ups....... Be careful what you open in your emails or run your virus protecting program thru scan......

flutterby

Fly away!
I don't have free anti-virus software. I have CA Security Suite, which is anti-virus, spyware, spam and firewall (except I don't use its firewall - I use Comodo).

This is a Windows error, I'm sure, because it's the Windows Security Center giving me the warning about CA, while CA says it's ok.

And....of course, it popped up right after a Windows update. Just thought of that.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I had the same thing ~ I ran McAffee Security Suite (it comes free with my broadband) & found that the update was a security threat & quaranteed it. Haven't had an issue since.

While I know MS is doing it's best to keep up with the "holes" in their system I think I may learn linux & keep that running as my main OS.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Heather--

Sometimes when you have multiple security programs they "block" each other and cause all kinds of problems for your system. If you are running BOTH windows security center AND the CA Security Suite there may be a conflict between them somewhere.

Can you place a free call to CA Security's tech support to troubleshoot the conflict? It may just be a matter of turning off whatever feature is conflicting.

Good luck!!

--DaisyFace

flutterby

Fly away!
I ran the virus scan in Safe Mode (cause it takes *days* - literally -in normal mode), rebooted and then got a message that my CA Security Suite had updated and I needed to reboot (again).

And since then, the message went away. Maybe my firewall was blocking the update it needed, because I had to give permission for it to download the update. Weird that it wouldn't manually update, though.

Anyway, it's all fixed. :D