Computer rant...I just might lose my mind

KTMom91

When we got this computer, we put the Yahoo parental lock program on, and now that Miss KT is nearly 18, I wanted the program taken off. It had become more of a pain than a help. Hubby did something that removed the program, but messed up other things.

Son #2 told us last year we should use Firefox instead of the Yahoo browser. OK, fine, whatever. As long as it works, I don't care. But after Hubby removed the locks, Firefox doesn't always work. I used to be able to come back here without signing in. Several other sites that I visit don't know me anymore. When Firefox doesn't work, Yahoo Explorer will. I have to have both browsers up and open to get anything done on the computer, because I can't remember which browser supports which activity. And I sure can't remember all the passwords. GRRRRR.:mad:

Every time Son #2 comes over to try to fix it, the computer gets weirder. Hubby's been deleting programs like crazy, but so far it hasn't helped. I can't afford a new computer right now, so this one has to last. I wish I'd never asked Hubby to remove that program.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OH that stinks. Are you certain you haven't picked up a trojan or a virus somewhere too? I'd run a scan and make certain.

I had that happen once.........turned out to be a nasty trojan nearly impossible to get rid of. Had to wipe and reload windows. Man was I furious.

Lucky for me though......I keep anything important on my external hard drive. Cuz I go thru computers about every 3-4 years.

Hope you get it straightened out.

Hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
Sounds like time to reformat. I don't change ANYTHING on *my* computer and it works just fine. I still use the old Netscape, old IE, old everything.

H? haha...he has 3 computers and is always trying the new browsers, etc. Then he spends the next month or so trying to figure it out finally resorting to reformating. Fortunately we back up every day so you don't lose a lot, but it's well worth the hassle.

Then, it's the LAW. DO NOT TOUCH MY COMPUTER.:mad:

Abbey

susiestar

Roll With It
I also have a computer that NO ONE touches except for the very rare occasion I ask husband to fix something.

Can you go and restore to a last good date? I think it is system restore, and you can set a date that the computer will set it up as. things you did after that date are gone, but stuff before is fine.

I just had a wierd problem and that is what finally solved it.

Lothlorien

Sometimes deleting programs deletes parts of other programs that you need and makes the computer malfunction. You may want to take it into a repair shop (not a big box store. They will hold your computer hostage for a week). A repair guy can clean it out or reformat (bring it back to the operating system). Save all your stuff now, because if you have to reformat, you'll lose it.

trinityroyal

Mary, if all else fails, back up your critical data (important documents, files, photos, whatever you want to keep) to a large capacity USB key or an external hard drive, and then you can rebuild your computer (maybe get Son #2 to rebuild it for you?), and start clean.

Like Lisa, I go through computers every 2 or 3 years. They take a real beating because of the work I do. husband rebuilds my machine every 6 months or so, and it keeps things running smoothly in between times.

I'm really bad at backing stuff up, and husband has installed an external hard drive and an automatic backup thingy onto my computer so it just synchs itself up to the drive and the network whenever it feels like. That function has saved my bacon more times than I can count!

Hope you sort it out. Computer troubles are a real bear.

DammitJanet

You have gotten other good advice but...on the passwords.

Go in and get all your saved passwords from both browsers. Now this will take a bit of time to write them all down by hand but maybe you can cut and paste...not sure. Even if you have to write them all down on notebook paper do it.

Then you can completely delete one browser at a time and reinstall. I would just get rid on IE...but I know there are some programs that dont run on firefox...but they are few and far between these days. I would get rid of IE....run a virus check...clean the computer up well...download IE again....get rid of firefox...run the virus scan...do the clean up again...then download firefox again...then you can go back to all your sites on firefox and reset your passwords. I had to do that one time when I (like a fool) hit delete saved passwords...lol.