constructive motivators

klmno

The zoo is a great idea, Marg! I need to think about all the other animal-related places that are available besides a vet's office. I think it is the law here that kids can't volunteer until they are 14 yo, but difficult child is not that far away from that age.

I've been talking to him a lot about needing to find something to get involved with through the winter. He agrees that he is an active person and likes outdoor "masculine" stuff to do, but he isn't into sports. (Thank goodness we were finally able to reach a point where he didn't take this as criticism and didn't just deny it or go into denial- really, it is nothing to be ashamed of.) Anyway, I tried to explain that I think the fact thet he is SO active during warmer months, then he goes back to school where he can't be so physically active and during winter it gets dark very early so he isn't outside so much, and he quit scouts which used to keep him busy all year,so I think this is putting a damper on his style and leading him to be really bored and make poor decisions. I am trying to get him to think of things he might want to do during the winter. He has gotten a little interested in weigth lifting and physical fitness- but, I swear, this kid is SO embaressed too easily- and regardless of what the psychiatrists say, I KNNOW he is anxiety ridden, that I can't see him joining a fitness program.

Like I told him, as long as it is constructive and appropriate, I don't care. But he needs some physical activity during the winter.

Marguerite

I'll have to take out shares in Nintendo if this keeps up... but honestly, if you're looking for something to get him out of a chair in winter but still sufficiently away from other people so he doesn't get embarrassed - get a Nintendo Wii with Wii Fit. It's fun, you can do it alone or with a family, you can get active mentally and physically.

I'm physically disabled, but finding this game system is great for getting my weight monitored, my fitness and balance improved. difficult child 3 is young and healthy, he is using the more active options like shadow boxing, ski slalom etc and getting stronger. And if we do it at the same time, we get to cheer for each other and laugh when we do anything silly. The Big Brain Academy is also good for mental gymnastics and fun to play in teams or singly.
Other options - what about wildlife carer? We have a charity here called WIRES (Wildlife Information and Rescue) which relies on trained volunteers to care for injured or orphaned wildlife. Do you have anything similar?

The other option I think I have suggested to you before - get him to tape-record (and maybe type up to a text file) an interview with an older person, perhaps a veteran. Anybody, really. An elderly relative or neighbour. Give him some questions to start him off, go with him if necessary to get him started. But from my experience, once the person starts talking in response to the questions, all difficult child will have to do is keep an eye on the tape to make sure it doesn't run out!
Information like this is vital in so many ways. It's a valuable resource. And older people generally LOVE the opportunity to share their early experiences with a young person.

There is so much this could lead to, including the possibility of a paying hobby. It can be quite lucrative. And it's an ideal cold weather task.

This teaches computer & technology skills, listening skills, social skills, general knowledge, history, geography - so much.

Sample questions:

Where were you born? Where did you grow up? What was your home like inside? Outside? What sort of food did you eat? How did you get it? Please describe a typical day from when you were ten years old. When did you first leave home? Why did this happen? How did you feel? What happened?

At about that point, the story should be telling itself. Not all the questions will be relevant, or needed. For some people their story may start earlier, or later.

I hope you can get him motivated and active.

Marg

DammitJanet

As far as the military goes...right now they are forgiving quite a bit but I dont think you need to exactly worry about if they will let him in or not 5 or 6 years down the road. He isnt going to join tomorrow. If thinking about going into the military gives him the incentive to turn his life around and get on the straight and narrow all the better. If he cant get in, there is always the fire department, paramedics, law enforcement...etc. He can even become a judge!

4H does do things all year round...at least down here. The clubs form through our county extension office so call them. As far as the vet things go...how about calling rescue groups and asking if they would like his help with caring for the animals?

klmno

Ladies- these are great! I started making a list of acceptable options (so far it is pretty short) but there are plenty of things you have mentioned that I can add to it. I mean sincerely- these are great ideas- I wouldn't care which one he picked. And- the fact that he is presented with many acceptable choices should help him see that "he hasn't ruined his life" (as I keep having to tell him- he is still young enough to turn this around if he's willing to put forth the effort). I'm thinking a couple of things can be worked in- maybe I can get him the Wii fitness thing for Christmas or b-day (I'll have to check on cost), maybe he picks something for this winter, then explores something else next summer after he has turned 14yo.

I'm still trying to put my finger on his embaressment in front of others with some things but not others- I mean, I get the concept as anxiety and depression run in my family. It's just odd to me that difficult child can do some things with other kids and never think twice, but others, he would rather die than do in front of or with anyone. I can't find that "trigger", so to speak. The more I can get him involved with others, though, the better because it does help with socialization and self-esteem, etc. But then, I think there is something to be said for doing one's own thing alone, too.

We actually did foster a dog before- we really loved him and difficult child has a connection with animals-especially dogs. I think he would love 4H. He would love that Wii if it were just me and him, too.

I know he could do law enforcement or other careers pertaining to the law- I haven't pushed those just yet but have tried to keep encouraging him. Paramedics is a good thought , too. Let's put it this way- I'm still saving for his college and sd is still trying to keep him on college-bound track (believe it or not) but the biggest factor right now is getting difficult child to see that it is possible if he will do his part- instead of him giving up and blowing opportunities.

Marg- difficult child would love interviewing and documetning older people's live too- but that is another one that I can't quite get him to try to realize that he would love it.

Marguerite

The embarrassment thing - difficult child 1 was a shocker with this. From a very early age he rejected all attempts to get him to stand up in front of other people. In church, getting all the kids up the front to listen to a story - difficult child 1 would stay with us. Or getting al the kids to stand up the front to sing a song they had rehearsed - he would literally curl up on the floor in a ball and stay there, for hours, rather then do it. Singing happy birthday to him - even worse. At school he just wouldn't get up in front of the class for anything.

The breakthrough came at school with an Aussie phenomenon, "Tournament of the Minds". In this inter-school challenge his class took a children's book and turned it into a play that they wrote themselves. difficult child 1 with his classmates was able to become one of the characters and clown around. As long as he felt that he wasn't difficult child 1 but the character, he could get up in front of other people and ham it up. I didn't see it, because I was at home minding difficult child 3, but a few people we know who saw it said difficult child 1 stole the show!

Since then, difficult child 1 has appeared in a couple of short student films, with easy child 2/difficult child 2 got a role in a mini-series (as a convict, he is barely recognisable) and recently with easy child 2/difficult child 2 and difficult child 3, was in "The Black Balloon", a feature film released early this year starring Toni Collette. We never thought it possible - but the trick has been, as long as difficult child 1 can be someone else he can do it. And slowly he's gained confidence and can now actually enjoy the same things that used ti have him completely withdrawing.

The interviewing and documenting older people's stories - get him involved by YOU doing it and dragging him along to look after the tape recorder. Engage him as your technician. And with him involved, if you can see him getting interested in the s tory, see if you can get him to ask a question. Act as if you've run out of things to ask, and turn to difficult child and say, "I'm finding this very interesting, I'm not sure what to ask you next. difficult child - of the things that our friend here has told us so far, which should we ask about first? What do you think people your age would need to know, or want to know?"

His perspective would be of value anyhow, because the target audience for tihssort of work is difficult child's generation. As members of the older generation we sometimes forget that we know more about some things and we assume that knowledge in others. For example, in a Beatrix Potter book, "Mrs Tiggy Winkle", there is a mention of the old washerwoman ironing and goffering the frills on a pinafore. My mother would have known what goffering was, but I had to look it up.
In my great aunt's few pages she wrote about her childhood, there were many small things I didn't fully understand. Luckily my mother was able to tell me. But now they're both gone and my kids have no personal comprehension of what life was really like for them, it is difficult for ME to communicate this. We'll be visiting a sample pioneer village next week (I hope) and I want to link this in with my great aunt's story so difficult child 3 (and easy child, if she is with us that day) can understand. I visited that place once with both my mother and my great aunt, I can remember what they told me about how much memory the place brought back. Now I need to share it with my kids; but until they ask the questions they need to, I won't know what they don't understand.

difficult child 3 is currently very busy with school stuff, but I'm planning on using this same task for him when he's a bit older and needing to be occupied. It can begin at least, as a shared task. But more and more I hope I can send him to do the actual interview on my behalf (after he's seen it done a few times and feels confident, and especially if it's someone he knows) and we can subdivide the work.

Following it through to completion - either transferring the sound file to CD plus written text, plus any family photos burned to the CD as well, for distribution to the family or even the local historical society - it's got to be worth something in so many ways. And the range of skills it can build along the way are immeasurable. You could even put it in his CV in later years when he's looking for a job. It would also give him more confidence in speaking to people when he absolutely has to.

The idea came to me decades ago. I was in hospital after complex surgery and lying around in bed with nothing to do and nobody to talk to. I was bored, lonely, miserable. The hospital speech therapist came to me to ask if I would be willing to be interviewed by some of her clients who needed practice in talking. For these people the only taped bits that were being kept were of the interviewer, who needed to re-learn how to communicate.
I was intrigued and agreed to it. Because I was so young, the conversation was a bit strained but it did pass my time.

After that, a few years ago I was connected to a travelling War Memorial exhibition and was asked to not only tell father in law's story of his POW adventures, but to also "draw out" another couple of ex-POWs who wanted to tell their story but who were a bit shy and didn't know how to get started. So I did it interview-style but found very quickly that all I had to do was hold the microphone out to this man who quickly got lost in his tale and enthralled everyone else at the same time.
That man had never told his story to that extent, not even to his wife and kids. Sadly, it wasn't taped. But his wife came up to me afterwards and thanked me, although I had only been a go-between. The man himself - it finally validated the experiences he had hid, for all those years. He'd been a POW in Changi and later the Burma railway, and he'd held all of that in, for all those years. He'd never even fought, he was a new recruit on his first placement and they were captured weeks after he'd been deployed to Singapore. He never felt he earned his title of "soldier" because of this.

I really hope you can find a way to encourage difficult child to try this. You may not find a person like this man I found, but there are wonderful surprises hiding inside every person you see, and that also is yet another important lesson.

Marg

Marg's Man

Marg and I really DO think alike. I was about to make the same suggestions (finding someone like a Vet) who difficult child would idolise and interviewing them as your assistant.

My father was a POW in Germany after Crete fell but we could never get him to talk about it much. We did succeed indrawing him out when he was 'interviewed' by a non-family member doing a school project.

It was good for the kid (it's a terrific story) and good for him. Three and half years in a Nazi POW camp generates a LOT of PTSD.

Marg's Man

klmno

Now that you mention it, our vet is very down-to-earth. He lets a couple of dogs that he has taken in just roam the office and no one- staff or patients- seems to mind. He has that volunteer program (that difficult child isn't quite old enough for yet), and he is closer to retirement age than intern age. I can't remember what it was exafctly, but he did start telling difficult child an interesting story once when we said something about difficult child's interest in being a vet. He might be a great person to ask about an interview. difficult child would be a little more willing to jump in there and ask questions with this guy, since we've been taking our dogs to him for 7 years. They are good with kids there- if the kid expresses interest and the parent ok's it, they will let the kid help out instead of the parent or an assistant. We take the dogs in for shots and checkups in Nov.- we can ask then.

So, now that there are many things on difficult child's list of choices- I'm thinking he could do several. Well- some will take longer than others, right!