CPS wants to write up a "Safety Plan"

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
I'm wondering if anybody has had one of these written up and what to expect. I know I need to remember our rights when we do this (like the 4th amendment!) and not let them just come in anytime they want. The social worker mentioned it was for the next time she hurt herself, so I'm guessing it's at least partially about what to do if she gets too stressed and takes it out on herself or us. The guy also asked about her seeing a psychologist, and I told him I wanted her to see a neurologist and Occupational Therapist (OT). I'm all for free services, but only to a point where it is helpful, and not a way for them to find things we did "wrong".

FYI...this is about my daughter being taken from us by CPS on 3/15 because she hurt herself and claimed husband did it.

JJJ

If they now believe you that she hurt herself, that is huge. Kanga and Eeyore both had safety plans through County Mental Health (not CPS) but I think they would be likely the same.

1. Get services in place to help treat the issue (neurologist, psychiatrist, Occupational Therapist (OT), etc)
2. Provide outlets for difficult child if she feels stressed (child's crisis line, etc)
3. Provide direct supervision of difficult child per her needs (Kanga's was 24/7 eyes-on-supervision) (Eeyore's was not to be left home alone.)
4. Provide resources for the parents so they know where to turn in a crisis (crisis line numbers, etc)
5. A promise by difficult child not to hurt herself again.

I don't see them giving her back without a psychiatric being involved. For her to hurt herself and blame it on husband...that is a huge red flag for psychiatric issues. I don't think it is about blaming you but about getting her the right help.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I don't know if you remember our adventures with Ms Ally - she drew up a safety plan for our family...

It consisted of locking up any weapons, checking on difficult child periodically to make sure she was safe, separating the children in the event difficult child was escalating, that sort of thing.

I don't think a written safetly plan would be anything you have to worry about.

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
I can see #s 1, 2, & 4. I doubt she'll promise not to hurt herself. I don't think she knows when she's doing it. She needs time alone too, having 24/7 on her would be hard. We just moved to a place with a fenced yard that I already put locks on the gates, so she can go out whenever she wants. I don't leave her home alone, ever.

Do you think she's already seen a psychiatric? I know she's seen an eye doctor, and ear doctor. Would they have sent her to talk to anybody yet? Or would they notify me? I didn't give them permission for any medicine at all.

And she admitted to me last week that she lies when she can't remember. Between that and the embarrassment of hurting herself, I can see why she blamed husband.

keista

And she admitted to me last week that she lies when she can't remember
Has she been checked for seizures? that could explain lapses where she doesn't remember. Could also be a type of transient amnesia brought on by stress.

in my opinion the most important thing to focus on teaching her right now is that it's OK to say she doesn't remember if she really doesn't remember - MUCH better than lying. If she's High-Functioning Autism (HFA) that would make perfect sense that she'd rather make something up than admit she just didn't remember/know.

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
No, she hasn't been checked, but should be. My dad gets seizures, has this thing called Tubal Sclerosis that causes them (and could cause tumors, giant cells, a bunch of brain issues). He said I have a 50/50 chance of having it (but I've had MRIs that showed nothing, I get migraines, daughter has gotten a couple) and therefore if I had it, daughter would have the same odds. Basically I have to tell the docs to check for that when I do get her into the docs. But if I had to guess, it would be more stress amnesia than a seizure, but I won't know until we get it checked.

InsaneCdn

If you can get the "psychiatric" requirement upgraded to "neuropsychologist", it would be a win-win... neuropsychs being really good sources for comprehensive evaluations...

JJJ

While she in foster care, much of this may be covered by them. I would expect once she is back in your home, you will have to pay for these things; just because they require it does not mean that they will pay for it. Be sure to check before you commit to $$$ you do not have.

buddy

Tubal Sclerosis

Do you mean this???

I have had two families who have had this on my caseload over the years. It has differing severity and different symptoms for different members of the family (from limited issues at all to very severe autism like symptoms etc....) but if this is what he has, this is genetic. It may be well worth checking out.

uberous sclerosis or tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) is a rare multi-system genetic disease that causes non-malignant tumors to grow in the brain and on other vital organs such as the kidneys, heart, eyes,lungs, and skin. A combination of symptoms may include seizures, developmental delay, behavioral problems, skin abnormalities, lung and kidney disease. TSC is caused by a mutation of either of two genes,TSC1 and TSC2, which code for the proteins hamartin and tuberin respectively. These proteins act as tumor growth suppressors, agents that regulate cell proliferation and differentiation.[SUP][1][/SUP]

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
Yep, that's it. I'm not good with scientific names. My Dad says he has only one of the two bad genes, not both, and they're trying to figure out which one. And it's definitely genetic.

C

Confused

allhaileris,
I haven't experienced your situation, but I wanted to give you my support and a hug. I agree with the others, take all the help they want to give you and your family, and daily request the neurologist and Occupational Therapist (OT).Hopefully someone else will see her episode and you will be able to get her back home quickly.

buddy

Thanks, I was curious. It is a very interesting but potentially devastating condition, sorry you have that to consider.

Ok, regarding the safety plan... around here, for the type of county programs kids with disabilities are on too..... we all have safety plans. It is standard protocol. We call them... Risk Management Plans. All potential issues like if a person is vulnerable to influences of others, could easily be taken advantage of, could hurt others or be hurt by others, medicine issues, oh my gosh...just everything is considered and a plan is written for the issues. For kids some things are automatic because they are KIDS. I would not worry about it and actually it could help protect you because you can say.... see, I was following the safety plan and that is why we did things this way or that way.