Cuss...five weeks with the computer down and my posts won't post on AOL!

DDD

I'm whining and now trying to use Internet Explorer. I've TRIED twice to respond to post on AOL with no results. Five weeks since I could go online at home and now..wth! Fingers crossed this posts. DDD

DDD

Lol... nothing like replying to your own thread. I'm "up" on IE but it is slow. This is not helping my lack of Christmas spirit. Two IT dudes and I can't just chill and post on the Board. Not acceptable. Whine!
DDD

klmno

What a PITA! I'm still having computer issues, too, if it makes you feel any better. I've been restoring back to an earlier date but that won't work after tomorrow because apparently, I can only go back so far unless I want to go back to the day I got the computer- which I might have to do. The weird thing is, I'm getting HP and windows automatic updates, then that's when the problem starts. I don't know what's going on.

There was a period of time a couple of years ago when I had trouble getting responses to post on this board- it was my computer, but still- so I learned to copy each reply before hitting the submit/post button so I didn't lose it all. I don't know if that would help in your situation or not.

DDD

Thanks for commiserating, klmno. I don't even know how "to copy" but I do know this is "you know whating driving me nuts" tonight. Yes, I "know" I should b thankful that I have access at all but...give me a break world, I am not a slo mo kind of person, lol. DDD

klmno

LOL! I meant 'copy' like you would copy any text from any word document or text file- to your clipboard or a temp file. That was a PITA too and sounds like it might not solve your problem. May the computer lords fix all our cyber-issues soon!!

TerryJ2

Argh! I hate computer issues. I have come so close to literally throwing mine out the window.
Best of luck~

DammitJanet

KLMNO...you have a virus if I remember from the last thread. At this point while you can still download anything, get Malwarebytes, Advanced System Care and AVG. Then make sure you copy over to disks everything you could possibly need for future reference. I prefer to store quite a bit online. You can copy all your bookmarks onto google bookmarks. Move all saved emails to an online email account if you use outlook. Save all pictures and documents. Then make back up disks if you havent. Then I would run Malwarebytes in safe mode and then Avg in safe mode. Oh...make sure you download the latest updates to both of them before you do all of this. If this doesnt fix everything you are going to have to use your back up disks to reformat your computer and start it from scratch. Pain in the rear but it is what it is. Sometimes you just have to do it.

DDD...your issues are different I think. I am assuming AOL is your internet provider. I hate them by the way. You could do so much better. However, for the moment, AOL is simply a browser getting you onto the internet. I am assuming when you say you cant post on AOL you are not trying to post on some AOL board right? If so, well I will have to work you through that a bit differently but if you mean you are just trying to post to places like our board but through the AOL browser, well I can help you fix that.

Do you have a dsl line, cable line or simply a phone line coming in your house? Since you say AOL, I am expecting its phone. When you get on with AOL, simply hit the little box at the top right hand corner to minimize the screen, then you can use any of the browsers. IE, Firefox or Chrome. Which edition of windows are you running? XP, Vista, or Windows 7? I would also download the free virus software and also advanced system care. You need to run them both immediately because they will speed up your system by a ton. I am sure your system hasnt been taken care of in years. It probably needs lots of windows updates too. You have no idea what bloatware is on there. I would use either firefox or chrome instead of IE. They are faster. I hate IE.

klmno

thank you for the reminder, DJ- I thought I was going to have to spend tomorrow searching thru old threads for an answer!!

DDD

Well had the computer analyzed by a new tech guy with lots of experience. He's installed anti virus program and didn't find any real problems. You know what? I think the problem may be DDD, lol. I have two speeds "fast forward" and "blah". The computer isn't responding as fast as I want it to. Since it evidently isn't going to change I guess I have to. Bummer. DDD

DammitJanet

DDD....if it isnt responding as fast as you want, maybe after Xmas you might want to check out some after xmas sales for a small laptop for the house. The laptop Im talking to you on right now wasnt expensive but is pretty good. I also got a two year warranty with it.