Dealing with the 'waiting for the call'

JJJ

I find myself not functioning well when Tigger is at school. I keep waiting for the phone to ring and the school to tell me something else has gone horribly wrong and he is (a) suspended again (b) left school again and my biggest fear (c) the cops/ambulance have him and you need to go to police station/hospital.

Friday he had a great day at school and he developed his own method of dealing with 1 of his problems (he made of list of all of the things not to say to the boy in his class -ie. 'don't call him a baby' and well as 'pay him a compliment"). I live 4 minutes from the school and am trying to get myself to walkout of the house and drive to a restaurant 10 minutes from the school to eat lunch with my cousin who is in from Georgia just for today -- I'm really stressing about being those extra 6 minutes away.

I just needed to post this. I am WALKING OUT THE DOOR. I hope.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I can't tell you how well I understand this. Wee didn't go to school 40 days last year, not including the days I picked him up early, which was probably another 40, easily. Hugs. And prayers.

H

HaoZi

Oh yes, I know this one. I cringe every time the phone rings at work or someone tells me my cell phone rang or a text message came in (can't have it on me at work). Every time the phone isn't for me it's a profound relief.

JJJ

I went to lunch. They messed up my order so I just had a Hot Fudge Sunday - yummy :)

No call yet and he should be on the bus on his way home.

shellyd67

JJJ, I too can relate ... whenever caller ID comes up with the school's name my heart sinks ... usually it is just to tell me easy child won some kind of award ... ironic I know ... I hate having anxiety over it ... try and keep busy and maybe that will help ...

JJJ

Well, he had a very good day until the last 20 minutes or so. Another boy (the one that "bugs" him - not the bully) had an issue, usually Tigger would start calling the boy names and make it worse. Today he grabbed his own backpack, jammed his stuff in it and told the aide that walks him to his bus "time to go" - even though it was 20 minutes early, they figured that was the best response yet from Tigger so they took him to the bus and he didn't get in any trouble!!!!

He is definitely ticked and we went for a walk and he is detoxing in front of Karate Kid 2 for a few minutes before we go to my sister's for family dinner.

So, while not a easy child-day, absolutely a good day for Tigger!!!

S

ShanDiann

I totally get it. I almost hate sending difficult child to school for fear of what will happen. I am still in utter amazement how many people here just get it.

Yay,for Tigger having a good day. I think his response was totally appropriate and responsible. How many times do we tell our kids to "just walk away"

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yay for Tigger!!!!! :D And I know it's a huge relief for you.

Didn't have issues with the school calling for Travis..............It was always Nichole..........man I hated answering the phone on school days. ugh

B

brendan

Well, he had a very good day until the last 20 minutes or so. Another boy (the one that "bugs" him - not the bully) had an issue, usually Tigger would start calling the boy names and make it worse. Today he grabbed his own backpack, jammed his stuff in it and told the aide that walks him to his bus "time to go" - even though it was 20 minutes early, they figured that was the best response yet from Tigger so they took him to the bus and he didn't get in any trouble!!!!

He is definitely ticked and we went for a walk and he is detoxing in front of Karate Kid 2 for a few minutes before we go to my sister's for family dinner.

So, while not a easy child-day, absolutely a good day for Tigger!!!

Yeah for Tigger!!! Wow, it is just so nice everyone hear knows about the "phone call from school" feeling. Part of me always worries that one of them is sick, but the other part kind of always knows its for B again. I also love when they tell you what B did and wait like I am supposed to respond, "WHAT???? OMG!! HE DID WHAT?" Half the time I fake like I am surprised - LOL!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Triple J ~ I love Tigger's response. wm does this yet today while at school. It's written into his IEP; a walk with an aide to blow off steam.

Good job, Tigger. JJJ, give that boy a big hug from this cyber auntie.

JJJ

I also love when they tell you what B did and wait like I am supposed to respond, "WHAT???? OMG!! HE DID WHAT?" Half the time I fake like I am surprised - LOL!

Yes!!! When they tell me he did "whatever", again. There's a moment of silence and then they add, "we can't have him doing that". Part of me wants to scream "REALLY, cause I love it when he does "whatever"" Do they really think I don't get that he shouldn't act like that at school?? or at home?? or in the community?? Don't they think that if I knew how to solve it, I would???

I know it is just their frustration at being unable to reach him but gggggrrrr.

B

Bunny

I know the feeling. Even though difficult child has never had a problem in school, when the phone rings and the caller ID says it's the school calling, my stomach drops and my heart stops and I think to myself, "Well, today is the day. Something finally happened at school." It never is, though. It's usually the school nurse calling to tell me something that she thinks I should know ("difficult child got really squemish in science class today because they were looking at bones. He's fine and I sent him back to class, but I just wanted you to know what happened.")

Pam

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
JJJ, I remember the tattling phone calls so very well. I would firmly & calmly reply that the SD has professionals with all sorts of letters behind their names & the knowledge to work as a team to help Tigger. IEP, remember?

Triple J, tho I couldn't say it aloud I'd think that the SD should know husband & I the tweedles to perform their "antics" but only at school.

I only took one call a day; upped the ante on emergency illnesses. I believe for kt before she started home schooling that a temp or throwing up wasn't cause for me to pick her up. I'm pretty sure it was profuse bleeding from a compound fracture or near amputation of a limb. The SD didn't find this funny but I rec'd far fewer calls after that statement during IEP & FBA meetings.