dev'l screening

Ktllc

Hi,
I'm wondering what it exactly means (I just know it's not a diagnosis yet).
difficult child scored above 65 on the screening on those item:
ODD, conduct for the parent questionaire
Depression and Asperger's for the teacher questionaire.
Thanks for any insights. (I could ask the doctor, but after the medications issue, see other post "Hu...what?!", I lost faith in him and really don't want to call).

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleDudesMom

ktllc,

I had to edit your post and take the name out of the university program where your son got the screening - we don't use "proper" names on the board of hospitals, docs, etc.

The screening "center" you describe is well respected. They specialize in the treatment and screening of children with neurodevelopmental disabilities. I believe your question arises from what the results mean. I would venture guess that it means from the parent input section of the screening, a diagnosis of ODD is indicated (based on the questions your and husband answered about your son's behavior in your presence). From the input of teachers in the process, a potential diagnosis of depression and Aspergers is indicated from their observation in the school environment.

I did respond to your other post, but I am wondering if you and husband actually sat down and read the results with the doctor? I got the impression that you had but with your questions above, it sounds like you have the report but have not discussed it with the doctor? I think a screening like this warrants discussion of the results - I would think that was part of the process.

Sharon

Ktllc

That screening is a standarized questionaire (we did not go to the university of the same name) and the doctor really did not gave us much answers... just that he sees ODD for now. We have talked about autism but more as a general discussion of what it is, not as a diagnosis for my difficult child. Honestly, it seems the doctor really does know what we are dealing with. He stated that the severity of the issues were "moderate" but called for further investigation (psychoeducational test). It is just so frustrating not to have any answers yet. The wait is killing me. And then I see Asperger's and depression which kind of resonate after having the therapist notice "autistic traits" in my difficult child. It seems like he is borderline on a lot of different diagnosis. I wish we had some answers so we'd know how to help him...

TerryJ2

Hi Ktllc, welcome.
My son was borderline Aspie, too, but now I can see that in many ways, he's full blown. Everyone is different. I went out and bought a cpl books on Asperger's b4 the diagnosis was definite, and I bought a book on bipolar (I love to read, wth) and found so many useful things in the books that they were both worth it. I ended up going back to the first Aspie book several times for ideas on how to deal with-my difficult child.
One of the main things is to keep a consistent routine, especially with-bedtime. If these kids lose sleep, it's WWIII. The other thing is to try not to use the word, "No." It sets them off for whatever reason. Say, "Yes, you can have a snack just as soon as you finish XYZ," even if XYZ is much later in the day. It's the "Yes" and "No" they hear most clearly because their sense of time is warped by their inability to focus (usually ADHD).

Ktllc

Terry,
What you describe is SO true for my son. He loves routine and has a hard time if those routine are not followed. I do everything I can to keep them in place but also have to try to keep them short and sweet (he would keep on adding a step otherwise). And boy, does that child needs his sleep if not be ready for a tough day! I had never thought of saying yes after xyz even if it is hours later. I know I have to really work on avoiding the word "no" but it comes out so spontenously. His notion of time is indeed uncertain, but at age 4 it is kind of normal. We'll have to wait a while to see how it develops. The more I learn about Asperger's, the more I think it might fit... buying a book would be a good idea, I'll have to find time to read it. I know he has a lot of difficulties with social interaction, specially with kids (he's more comfortable with adults). He tells me it makes him "feel bad" when his classmates talk to him :( First time he actually puts it in words. I'll mention it to the therapist tomorrow.