Did he rescue me or vice versa?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Because no time is the right time...
Because N needed a friend...
Because N needs to feel like she has someone to protect her when things get bad.
Because I need a little buddy...
So here he is!

We got him quite a drive away at a no kill shelter, for little dogs! He is 27 lbs, so he was on the big side.
They found him running down the street at around 8 weeks old. He has been in the shelter for 8 months. :( So he is about 1 year.

They think because he is kind of funny looking---:surprise:
And because they mostly have, Dachshunds and Chihuahuas, little terriers, dogs little like that.
He was super hyper the first 15 minutes we met him. But he didn't get out very often... just in the run a few times a day.

He calmed down and I picked him up, messed with his paws, muzzle, ears, teeth, gave him treats, pulled them away... Squeezed him all over and then let the girls mess with him.

He is so awesome!!!

He is a Terrier/Australian Shepherd, bobbed tail.

He had never been in a car, on a leash, no real commands.
He is great in a car, walking on a leash and learning so fast.
Knows sit, wait, is learning come...

N is in love with him.
K is doing pretty good with him. We are watching her very closely.

He is laying on me right now. Oh and he sleeps in his crate no problem!!!

He seems just so happy to have found a family.

Oh!!! His name was Arizona and we changed it to Dexter! I had been watching him in Petfinder for about 3 weeks!!! I just had a feeling.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh, he is CUTE!!! His eyes are so bright and alert -- he looks like he is very smart and full of life :D Are you going to give him some puppy manners classes?

How do the girls like him?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Cute little guy. Given his breeding, if there is Aussie Sheepdog in there, you want to start thinking about how to channel all that energy.

Aussies are good dogs, but they are really high energy and have a high herding drive which can make them nippy as well.

Lothlorien

OH. MY. GOODNESS!!!! He is just the cutest thing!!!! They thought he was funny looking???? He's beautiful! The pictures just make me smile! Congratulations on the newest member of your family!

Mattsmom277

He's not funny looking. He's absolutely a gorgeous dog!!! He looks like a friend of mines dog Toto. I think sometimes I pop by to visit to just see their pooch lol.
Congrats on the new addition and enjoy him! He sounds like he's a quick learner. He's going to be a great family member, my spidey senses tell me so ;)

Fran

Former desparate mom
Dexter is absolutely beautiful. His eyes are calm and he seems to be attached to your little girl already.
There is no doubt that Cowboy and Honeysue rescued me more than I rescued them. They are a life raft to hold onto when the waters are churning in your life. I hope Dexter does for your family what my pups did for mine. HS even taught difficult child through her illness and death a lot about life, empathy, pain and leaving this earth. She was a gift.

Give him a hug from Auntie Fam on this side of the country. I hope you all grow together. Hugs.

klmno

I can't get to the photos right now but wanted to congratualte you on your new addition to the family! I'm sure this will be great for all of you!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh toto!!! Huge congrats on your new family member. He's adorable!!! And I can see the specialness about him radiating from the pics!! :D :D

Nichole found the perfect puppy at a kill shelter not long after she moved out. Hers is a shepard mix of some sort.......but evidently is not going to be very large. She's got an amazing personality, and is extremely intelligent. Nichole took her potty a couple of times and she's never had an accident. She's learning basic obedience at record speed......and she loves everyone, but is protective over home and family. I thought I'd never see another dog with my dog Molly's personality and intelligence.....Nichole lucked out and found it in Callie, her pound rescue. :D

I think you rescued each other. :)

DammitJanet

He is adorable! I think he has cairn terrier in him. I dont know about that australian shepherd. Its so hard to tell with mixes. That little face is just adorable.

mstang67chic

Going Green
What a sweetie!!!!

All of these board dogs....our next get together needs to include them!!!!

Ahem.....I'll make sure Chester is fixed first. :916blusher:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Enjoy the new fuzzbutt. There's nothing quite like that unconditional love they can offer...to you, to N, to K...nothing compares.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
When you look at his build and his fur you can tell he has the Aussie in him. There are so many around here especially where he was found, they call them Tucson Ranch Dogs...
The Vet we took him to right after we picked him up, right down the street from the Shelter was pretty sure as well.
I was thinking Cairn or Norfolk... I have even seen some Jacks with the "Old man face" as well!!! LOL

We were at the School today and a pure bread Aussie showed up, you could see it, the fur has the distinctive split down the middle of the back... he has more of the working breed type of coat as opposed to the show coat, he is smaller but he was so excited to see his kin!

I had a ton of friends up in Idaho with Borders and Aussies as well as Blue Healers. He has the "Velcro" personality, but so far does not have the "Spazzy" hyper-ness that most do.
He loves the walks but loves the time just hanging and being with us.
I am big on walking 2x a day if not more and lots of training.
I walk before food, 45 mins to 1 hour, in the morning first thing.

husband is very good at saying, "He is your dog!" he is not a morning person, luckily I am.

We have a Bark Park nearby also, I took him yesterday and today. We are taking him to School to pick up the girls also, the Principal is a big fan of this!!!

YES! We do need a CD-Dog get together!!!

I think he looks like the Dog from the Grinch Christmas cartoon. When you see him in person he does!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
He looks like an old soul. He also looks at the camera like he's saying "I have a family for the Holidays and I am SO SO very thankful for the love."

You're a good old soul yourself Totokins. :D

Congratulations on the newest & furriest addition to the Bclan.

- I bet he likes doughnuts K.....(lol)

Hugs & Love
Auntie Star