difficult child 1 passed out at Twighlight showing...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We were about 10 minutes before the end of the movie when he told me he felt sick. So he left to go to the restroom. He didn't make it back for the end. As I came out of the theater, security finds me and says my child fainted in the lobby!

They had him sitting on a bench with an icepack. They said he just crashed to the floor and may have hit his head. Didn't feel any bumps... he's alert and talking. Just says he was feeling hot about half-way through the movie, and then he started to feel sick.

Weird.

He usually only gets this way if he has to get a shot or a blood draw... maybe the vampires and the intense emotions between the two protagonists was just too much for him!

Now he says he's just tired and went up to take a shower.

The theater manager was very nice. Gave us two free passes and coupons for free popcorn!

smallworld

Has he ever been evaluated for seizures?
Has his blood pressure been checked to make sure it's not too low (since he's on Propranolol)?
How long had it been since he had eaten anything?
Any recent medication changes or dose increases?

It also could have been anxiety, as you suggested.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
He seems okay tonight, Jenn.

Andy, the security guys said they thought he hit the wall with a glancing blow as he went down. His heads a little sore, but he's his usual self tonight.

SW, no history of seizures with him. He hasn't had the BiPolar (BP) checked since starting the propranolol, but I don't think that would explain him feeling hot and then sick to his stomach during the movie. He said he ate 3 slices of pizza at lunch, and this happened around 6pm... possible he was hungry, but he also had just eaten a small bag of popcorn -- with that nasty butter crud on it... maybe that's the culprit? But he's eaten it before with no problems. No recent changes in medications.

Well, he's got a checkup in a few weeks with his GI so I'll make sure I mention it. They'll check his BiPolar (BP) then, too. I'll keep an eye on him tomorrow. Maybe I'll call the pediatrician on Monday just to check in and let them know.

M

ML

Wow what a dramatic end to the showing! Let us know what pediatrician says and I hope he is feeling better today.

TerryJ2

Gosh, I'm so sorry. I'm glad you got passes for another movie. :)
Perhaps the popcorn wasn't enough for his hunger. No sugar, no protein. Just a thought. I know he has anxiety issues.
I hope he got a good night's sleep and he's feeling better.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
After talking with him more today, I think this is a case of his imagination driving his anxiety. He said he started feeling weird during the fight scene when one of the bad guys gets eliminated... wasn't very graphic, and it was off in the distance and obscured enough that you knew exactly what was happening without having Technicolor detail. Your mind filled in the rest, and I suspect that's what got him! Poor kid.

We talked about what he needs to do if he feels that way again -- lie down wherever he is!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's what's so strange, Jenn, it WAS NOT all that graphic. difficult child 1 has seen plenty of scary movies with more graphic stuff in it. This was fairly tame in comparison. I guess it just goes to show you how powerful the mind can be!