difficult child 2 did not go to sleep until 7am TODAY!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
In my absence at the Ohio shindig, it sounds like difficult child 2 has continued to have sleep issues.

He called me at the airport at 6:30 this morning to ask when I'd be home, to tell me he'd made me brownies last night :)happy:), and to inform me that he never went to sleep :surprise:. My sister in law had gone over to check on husband since he's been horribly sick and her final words to the kids essentially were "I don't care what you do, just stay in your rooms tonight." SO I guess difficult child 2 took that to mean do whatever you want as long as it's in your room. He told me he thinks he watched 6 movies!!!!!! But he doesn't have a TV in his room, so I'm not really sure what went on.

His psychiatrist appointment is in two hours. We just bumped up the Seroquel a week ago, and it seems to maybe have helped the racing thoughts/crowded thoughts. But I don't know about this staying-up-all-night business. It's WAAAAAY out of character for him. And he and husband swear he took his bedtime medications last night. He's upstairs sleeping with husband. difficult child 1 is sleeping, too. And it's noon. I'm still on Ohio time... ugh.

It's going to take me a month to get this family back on track...

P.S. Looks like he missed his morning Depakote and afternoon Seroquel BOTH Sunday AND Monday! Sheesh! No wonder things are messed up!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Chickey -

Do you think that difficult child could use a trial of Clonodine at night to help with sleeping issues? Dude has NEVER been able to sleep at night - even now at 18 - it's so hard for him to unwind. He describes it to us and with younger kids who have similar problems like his brain will NOT shut off.

WHen I had anxiety it was like blinking a billion times and seeing a different picture every .5 seconds. I talked about it with my therapist and he told me that was a sign of high anxiety. It was miserable. When I'm upset it happens and I can't stop it. Dude says his isn't like that - he says it's more like a ride at a carnival that won't shut off...poor thing.

When we went to the hospital the other night he hadn't slept much in over three days -they gave him fluids IV and a shot of valium. He said it was the best sleep he's gotten in months. So now I'm wondering if he wouldn't benefit from something like that or clonodine again....because it was the only thing that knocked him out when he was younger - that's why I suggested it for your difficult child.

The only draw back is if you give it too late? They are CRAB-B in the morning and drag all day - if you give it too early? They are out cold - where they sit....for the rest of the night.

I'm so sorry you are going to have to re-doo all your schedules...that just stinks...and so sorry husband isn't feeling well.

Major Hugs -
STar

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Clonidine knocked K out also!

It made her agitated so we had to stop it, but her other medications were not correct.
For some reason, her AP's and Tryptophan really help her sleep.

Good luck getting the family back on YOUR schedule. ;)

Wiped Out

Staff member
Clonidine has really helped with difficult child sleeping. He used to survive on just a few hours of sleep each night. This does kind of knock him out but not too fast like it used to. When he first started he'd be asleep with-in minutes, now it seems to be more natural.

TerryJ2

Clonidine worked for us, too.

Arrrgh! I hate it when I go out of town and all h*ll breaks loose.
Best of luck getting everything straight again. Hopefully things are better today already.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Star, Totoro, WO, Terry -- no, we've never tried Clonodine. psychiatrist's answer to this was essentially that it's due to hypomania/mania creeping back in (he suspects). So his approach, for now, is to hit it with an extra 100mg Seroquel for a week until he's back to normal nights, and then drop it back down. If it continues to happen, this sort of cycling, then he's going to increase the Depakote (and we're going to the lab this morning to check levels) -- but he chose Seroquel for a short-term solution since we all know how long Depakote takes to build up. He thinks the whole vacation/camping/mom-being-gone chaos may have contributed to it. Could be.

So I've reiterated to husband how important difficult child 2's sleep consistency is, how important the medication consistency is, and I think he's on the same page with me now. :)

difficult child 2 crashed early last night and when I checked on him this morning he said he felt better and slept better.

So now it's back to life, back to reality, as the song goes... And I've discovered that we have an ant invasion now (vs. a beatle/beetle invasion :p )... leading all the way from the back door to the the other end of the house where the kitchen is. No doubt it's from the triple-digit heat we've been having the past two weeks. :( Can I go back to Cleveland?