difficult child accepted to program

saving grace

difficult child had his first appointment on Wednesday, they have accepted him into the Suboxone program, he has two more appts the next two Wednesdays, then they will give him a prescription. This is a family based program, I have to go as well to these appts then starting in April we have to go to a meeting a week for 13 weeks.
I really hope the Suboxone will help him get back on track. I am not to happy about it, because I know one day he will have to come off of it and I hear it is harder to come off of than heroin. I am just trying to focus on the now and not in the future. I guess I am disappointed that he couldnt do it on his own.

Karen... Any advice on Suboxone??

Grace

gottaloveem

Grace,
He could not do it without the suboxone. The withdrawls are the worst thing one could go through.

Suboxone is a miracle drug that will help him feel normal again without using. When Alex was on it, he kept telling me "mom, I feel so normal and I haven't used".(pretty sad that heroin screws them up so bad they don't feel normal without it) They weaned Alex off of it in two weeks. I think he should have been on it longer.

Dont be disappointed that he couldn't do it on his own. If it were that easy, there would be no heroin addiction problem. Be glad he is deciding to get the help he needs. I hope this is the time it sticks.

As far as comming off of it, they will slowly wean him off of it.

Your signature says a lot:

>>>I am still waiting for the man I raised to let go of the monster inside of him<<<

The monster inside of him is the drugs. When he is clean and stays clean for just a little bit, you will see the good in him again. I now realize what the drugs did to Al and his moods. It made him impossible. He was just started to get nice again, when he decided to use again.

I realize how frightening all of this is.

Try to remain hopeful that this is the time that he will kick the habit.

Let us know how you guys are doing.

Best of luck to your son.

Give him a hug for me and let him know how much happier he will be without this monster on his back.

rejectedmom

I am glad he is getting help. Try to look at the suboxone in the same light as you would a nicotein patch. It is an aid to ending an addiction that is all. (((HUGS))) -RM

Coookie

Grace,

Saying prayers for your difficult child and that he will kick the addiction. Glad he got into the program. Sending hugs for you.

neajle

Grace, so glad to hear that your son was accepted into the program. I am keeping you and him in my prayers. Sending you hugs and give him a hug for me. This is the hardest thing he will have to do, I know he can do it.

jean

KFld

I'm glad to hear he got in the program. I feel suboxone has saved my difficult child's life at this point. He is living a normal life for now, though I know someday he will have to come off of it. When they do come off of it though it is done with the help of a doctor, so it's not like they just have to quit cold turkey.

I do go back and forth with my feelings because I wonder what will happen when he does come off of it. will he have learned enough life skills to stay clean, or will the cravings be just as bad, but I guess I can't worry about that for now. Right now he's clean and healthy and happy and learning to live again.

I hope your difficult child has as much success as mine has. I hope he takes it seriously too, the chance he has been given. I know my difficult child stopped taking it for awhile and would use in between and ended up back in rehab., but he seems to have learned from this and realizes how lucky he is to be on it.

Sunlight

Grace, it is still forward steps. that is good! do not worry about the future and where it will lead. enough worries for one day at a time.

saving grace

Karen, the good and bad thing about this program is that it is family based they do not give him the prescription, I hold it and give him his dose everyday. The bad thing is the same as above, its a catch 22 per se. I dont feel that I want to be "THAT" involved but I also would not trust him with the medications. This program starts at early teens and they usually age out at 19 or 20, difficult child is 20 so for them to accept him at this age is great. He is very lucky.

I hope it helps and I will try to not worry about coming off until its time.

Grace

KFld

That is a good way to look at it Grace, as I try not to worry about it until it happens either. I hope he follows the program and has good luck with it.