difficult child going to be weaning off Abilify, how hard is this?

StressedM0mma

Are we looking at major side effects? The psychiatrist is pitching a huge fit that difficult child would like to see if she can go off of some if not all of her medications. Tdocs are behind difficult child, and so are we. I am just wondering at the time frame we are looking at, and what if any side effects will we see? I just want to be prepared.

InsaneCdn

I'd be looking for a new psychiatrist... JMO.
Move slowly... we're stepping down on one of difficult child's medications, with a MINOR reduction every 2-3 weeks... and the differences are noticeable: the side effects are less, but so is the impact, and we have to decide which is worse, the symptoms or the side-effects.
Moving slowly also makes it easier to tell if/when you hit stability.
Sometimes, you need to go down one notch too far to find out the medication is still effective... at the just-previous dose.

L

Liahona

yea, new psychiatrist might be good. She is taking 4 medications and wants to cut back. That sounds very reasonable, and she is at an age where she needs to start having ownership of her medications. psychiatrist needs to respect difficult child's concerns.

StressedM0mma

We are considering looking at a new psychiatrist. I am sure all of you know how hard it is to find new psychiatrists and not have to wait 6+ months to get an appointment. But, I am definitely not happy with the care we are receiving. psychiatrist would not consider cutting back on celexa because she hasn't been "stable" long enough. Um, the reason is because you kept upping her dose of Zoloft when we kept telling you it wasn't working for her. And, that led her down a horrid spiral that we are still digging out of. And, when difficult child told psychiatrist that the Concerta wasn't really working to help her focus, instead of talking to her about it, psychiatrist just upped the dose. Then the psychiatrist got angry that difficult child didn't tell her that she wanted to quit taking it. Um, you know one of difficult child's problems is speaking for herself. And, maybe instead of just jumping on the give her more medications you actually discuss with her the options she has!

difficult child has been very good about voicing her concerns with taking all of these medications. She has researched them, and worries about what her longterm health will be. And, if her tdocs feel she is in a good place to do this, and I think so , why would the psychiatrist have any reason to disagree. The psychiatrist sees her every 6-8 weeks! Basically long enough to give her medications and ask how difficult child is doing.

SuZir

Definitely time to go shopping new psychiatrist. She will soon be adult and you can bet she is not going to be medication compliant if she feels her psychiatrist is not listening her or appreciating her opinions. psychiatric medications have so much side effects that to people staying on medications psychiatrists have to really listen and work with their patients. Doesn't sound like this psychiatrist would be able to do that at all.

IT1967

Wow, your psychiatrist reminds me of ours. My difficult child 2 was on a ridiculous amount/doses of medications and he was a complete mess with horrible side effects. Our psychiatrist was so upset by my insistence that we cut back on some of the medications that he told me I should get a second opinion, which we are going to do. And guess what? My difficult child 2 is doing better - we cut the dose of Risperdal in half and dropped the afternoon stimulant. And like you, the Zoloft sent my son into such rages that that was what led to us having to even start the Risperdal. We are trying to get a second opinion, but it will be months (probably at least 6) before we get into a new psychiatrist. They won't even schedule an appointment. for us until they get our medication recs. In the meantime, I have no choice but to stay with this one. Whenever I ask about cutting back on the Risperdal or dropping it entirely, he puts me off. He says we have to wait til they're stable for a period of time (how much time?!) and he doesn't want to change anything until we're into the new school year and he sees that they're functioning ok. Since things are *knock on wood* fairly stable, I'll coast, but am looking forward to a fresh set of eyes taking a look at my kids' situations. Good luck to you on weaning. Please let us know how it goes. I will tell you that I very very gradually cut that Risperdal dose for difficult child 2 and it's been no problem at all.

TerryJ2

We had no problem. It didn't do much for our son except cause weight gain, anyway. Just taper gradually. Best of luck. And let us know what the psychiatrist says after you've successfully weaned difficult child in a few wks. :)